Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New KISS album expected this year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Blabbermouth:

Legendary rockers KISS are planning on entering the studio in March to begin recording their new studio album for a late 2011 release. During an interview with BackstageAxxess.com that was conducted during this year's NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show, KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer said, "The great news is that we are going in the studio again in the next month or two. We are starting to work on writing some songs, [and we will] approach it just like we did with [2009's] 'Sonic Boom' and keep it all in the band in terms of the writing, with no agenda besides writing great rock and roll songs that we love, then rehearsing them before recording them. It really felt good to us so we'll go the same way this time."

KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley will once again produce the new effort after things went so smoothly on "Sonic Boom". "Paul knows more what a KISS record should sound like than anybody, to be honest with you, so he is going to lead the charge and produce it again and we are all really excited about it," Thayer said.

He added, "I know we are going to start working on it really soon in terms of the writing and rehearsing and we'll probably be in the studio by March, so sometime this year I'm sure you'll see a spanking new KISS album that's gonna kick some butt!"

"Sonic Boom" sold 108,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 2 on The Billboard 200 chart. This marked the band's highest-charting LP ever.

KISS has notched eight Top 10 albums, according to Billboard.com. Its previous highest-charting set was 1998's "Psycho Circus", which debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 110,000 copies in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The group's other high-charting sets include 1975's "Alive!" (No. 9), 1977's "Love Gun" (No. 4) and 1992's "Revenge" (No. 6).

"Sonic Boom" was released in Europe on October 5, 2009 via Loud & Proud/Roadrunner Records. The CD was made available in the U.S. and Canada on October 6, 2009 exclusively via Wal-Mart, Walmart.com and Sam's Club retail locations.

I still enjoy many of the tracks on Sonic Boom, so if this new disc is more of the same I'll probably be satisfied.
Old 01-27-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: New KISS album expected this year

Old 01-27-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Cool, if only for a new tour.
Old 01-27-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what? Three posts and no one's ripping on them for "wanting to make money"?

WOW! Looks like people have wised up!

Liked Sonic Boom a lot. Looking forward to this one. (as long as there's no ballads)
Old 01-28-11, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I don't think it's a money thing, an ego thing maybe, but not a money thing.

I haven't picked up a Kiss album since Psycho Circus, and didn't even know they recorded Sonic Boom. With the low numbers on that last one, it seems like they would make money just by touring the classics at this point.
Old 01-28-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Touring is how almost all artists make their money nowadays. Record sales don't mean much, although I'm sure they got a nice chunk from Walmart to have that album be an exlcusive.

I don't think it's an ego thing either, but they may also be partially motivated by sagging record sales to finally hit #1. Since Cake did it with only 44K last week, KISS could easily do it if they hit anywhere near the 108K they did for SB. As long as Michael Buble doesn't put out another record that day, of course.
Old 01-28-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will probably pick it up. I thought that Sonic Boom was very good.
Old 01-28-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Sonic Boom is a great KISS album. It saw the band kicking off some of the studio rust that had set in (first studio album in 11 years), and was the first studio album with this line-up. That made it even more impressive.

I'm hoping for another one equally good. They aren't chasing trends anymore, they're just doing what they do best.
Old 01-29-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Sonic Boom is a great KISS album. It saw the band kicking off some of the studio rust that had set in
Yep. There are songs on there I would put on any KISS "best of" compilation.
Old 01-29-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I really liked Sonic Boom but didn't love it; there was a lot of filler on that album and one clear case of musical plagiarism. Still, it exceeded my expectations and I'm looking forward to the new LP quite a bit.
Old 01-30-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BasementArt
With the low numbers on that last one, it seems like they would make money just by touring the classics at this point.
I believe it went gold or close to it, which is better than most major artists can do these days.
Old 01-30-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Tours used to "support"/promote an album. Now it's often the albums supporting the tours (or just giving an excuse to tour).