Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

I am sorry but I would rather listen to party rock hair metal, instead of "My Daddy doesn't Love me" Grunge. For me Nirvana was popular around the time I was in middle school, and those were probably the worst years of my life. So that has a little bit to do with the way I have felt in my posts in this thread.
Old 08-01-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

Does anybody have any info on how to get the super deluxe edition? Want it bad.
Old 08-01-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I am sorry but I would rather listen to party rock hair metal, instead of "My Daddy doesn't Love me" Grunge. For me Nirvana was popular around the time I was in middle school, and those were probably the worst years of my life. So that has a little bit to do with the way I have felt in my posts in this thread.
But the 80's were over. If Nirvana and Pearl Jam hadn't come along, someone else would've killed the hair bands anyways. New decades always bring forth severing ties to the past decade and new styles forging ahead.
Old 08-01-11, 04:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

It seems to me that the thread has drifted somewhat from the original question:
  • can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?
Although that can happen legitimately in a conversation, it also seems to me that one or two people are posting more to provoke a reaction to a silly jibe than in the hope of seeking a serious/constructive debate.

Most of us can work out who those people are. And most will know what happens to those tiresome folk who waste moderator time with juvenile trolling.

Just saying.
Old 08-01-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
It seems to me that the thread has drifted somewhat from the original question:
  • can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?
Although that can happen legitimately in a conversation, it also seems to me that one or two people are posting more to provoke a reaction to a silly jibe than in the hope of seeking a serious/constructive debate.

Most of us can work out who those people are. And most will know what happens to those tiresome folk who waste moderator time with juvenile trolling.

Just saying.
I wish u would reply with this every time it happens in METALLICA threads.
Old 08-02-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
It seems to me that the thread has drifted somewhat from the original question:[B][LIST][*]can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

But that question has been answered with "yes".
Old 08-05-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
Does anybody have any info on how to get the super deluxe edition? Want it bad.
http://www.amazon.com/Nevermind-Nirv...=3DLN395NOCJEQ
Old 08-05-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Pretty much in line with the Pearl Jam super deluxe sets. I'm not a big enough Nirvana fan to drop that much money on that but I might spring the $55 for the vinyl.
Old 08-05-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

$140?

Milk it!
Old 08-05-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I love Nirvana but 140 bucks is retarded.
Old 08-05-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's quite a bit I agree but it is a lot of material. I mean it's four cd's, the dvd, the coffee table book, plus the album on vinyl (which judging by the individual listing for the LP is 4 discs as well). At least they're breaking the album up in to smaller sets for people who aren't willing to pay that large of a price or don't want all that material. Plus if you wait long enough chances are it'll drop in price or you'll be able to find it used for less anyways.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-05-11 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-05-11, 02:10 PM

The biggest annoyance - for me, at least, and many others judging from this and other discussions in other places - is that the biggest draw (the Butch Vig mixes) are only in the crazy deluxe set. It would have made way more sense to have CD 2 be the Smart Studio sessions plus the Butch Vig mixes as they're similar in intent and the most interesting/applicable to the largest audience and then put the Boombox stuff and radio sessions in the big set as they're going to be of the most interest to the hardcores willing to spend that kind of money for them.

I was really excited for this set but after the pricing structure and the way they're breaking out the track lists I might end up taking a complete pass.
Old 08-05-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$150? I'd pay twice that.
Old 08-06-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... and it's not available at Amazon no more... Damn it, didn't pre-order mine.
Old 08-06-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
... and it's not available at Amazon no more... Damn it, didn't pre-order mine.
I did. I'm not ready to brag until I actually get it though.

At 10,000 units in the US this thing could actually be one of the few limited editions that is actually rare.
Old 08-06-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon isn't getting ALL the copies.
Old 08-06-11, 01:47 PM

It comes out on Sept 27 and there will be hundreds on ebay on Sept 28.
Old 08-06-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Who said they were?

I can't imagine many other places got them though. If any retailer got more copies than Amazon.com did I'd be very surprised. Do you think they're gonna be stocking the $140 version at Target and Wal-Mart? Obviously not.

It comes out on Sept 27 and there will be hundreds on ebay on Sept 28.
Actually, Mr. Clever, they'll start popping up on eBay long before September 27 and whether or not they're affordable remains to be seen.

It's kinda like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeah, it's on eBay but I bet the guy who won that auction wishes he would have bought it when it was $50 3 months ago.

Like I said, I'm not counting my eggs until they hatch re: my Amazon.com preorder but I don't think its going to do anyone any good to overestimate the availability of this thing. Unless they ease up on the 10,000 limit in the US this thing isn't going to be plentiful.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 08-06-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-06-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are other places to buy music other than Amazon, Target, and Wal-Mart.

I plan on buying mine at the local independent record store.
Old 08-06-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are other places to buy music other than Amazon, Target, and Wal-Mart.

I plan on buying mine at the local independent record store.
If you have one in your area that is still operational then more power to you, I'd recommend getting your order in. I'm half-tempted to put in a few orders just to play it safe.

It's absurd to suggest that Amazon.com wouldn't have been allotted an amount of the sets comparable to that of several independent record stores combined. Earlier today it was ranked #153 for music and that was after they'd cut off preorders for several hours. It currently stands at #258 and will obviously continue to drop as long as new orders aren't being placed but either way they took a lot of orders regardless of whether or not they'll end up filling them all.

Amazon.co.uk is still selling it though. My only concern with ordering the UK edition would be DVD compatibility which is a non-issue to anyone who is region-free and PAL-friendly or plans on buying the Blu-ray in addition to this set anyway.
Old 08-06-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

10,000, huh?

Isn't that the same number of supposed Beatles Mono Box Sets? They were supposed to be rare/hard to find but they are everywhere.
Old 08-06-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
10,000, huh?

Isn't that the same number of supposed Beatles Mono Box Sets? They were supposed to be rare/hard to find but they are everywhere.
Capitol never announced a specific number for the Mono Beatles box. I don't even know if they ever called it a limited edition.

Universal did announce specific run numbers for this: 10k for the US, 30k more for the rest of the world.

Different record companies. Different announcements, apples/oranges.

We've all seen things like the original "Saving Private Ryan" DVD that use the term "limited edition" pretty loosely but there are plenty of limited editions that are actually limited too.
Old 08-06-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Capitol never announced a specific number for the Mono Beatles box. I don't even know if they ever called it a limited edition.

Universal did announce specific run numbers for this: 10k for the US, 30k more for the rest of the world.

Different record companies. Different announcements, apples/oranges.

We've all seen things like the original "Saving Private Ryan" DVD that use the term "limited edition" pretty loosely but there are plenty of limited editions that are actually limited too.
Pretty sure The Beatles Mono Box was supposedly only going to be 10,000 copies too but they later extended it.
Old 08-07-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not gonna over over pay anywhere else. I'd rather over pay at Amazon with FREE 2 DAY & no TAX.
Old 08-07-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Pretty sure The Beatles Mono Box was supposedly only going to be 10,000 copies too but they later extended it.
I actually looked into this earlier because it's obviously been a couple years since that all went down.

The 10k figure came from the product listing on the US online store for EMI/Capitol. Pretty much as soon as people noticed it they removed it from the listing and said it wasn't an official number.

You can read all about it on Google. Beatles Mono 10,000 will get you enough info.

EMI/Capitol came right out and said 10,000 wasn't accurate. Universal announced 10,000 in the official press release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.