DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/585049-can-we-expect-20th-anniversary-release-nirvanas-nevermind-album-year.html)

Buttmunker 01-27-11 10:04 AM

can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year?

Has there been any news regarding a possible re-release of this very special album for 2011?

Guru Askew 01-27-11 10:11 AM

Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

I haven't seen any news but I think it's pretty much a given.

The Cobain estate seems to have a major Nirvana release out for the Holidays at least every other year and this one is pretty much a no-brainer.

islandclaws 01-27-11 10:43 AM

Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

Depends on whether or not Courtney needs money.

Imprint 01-27-11 11:00 AM

Given that the original CD sounds fantastic, it is time for an ear-bleeder with no dynamic range to be released.

Hixx 01-27-11 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Imprint (Post 10610620)
Given that the original CD sounds fantastic, it is time for an ear-bleeder with no dynamic range to be released.

Seriously. It's an outstanding hard rock recording, I highly doubt that it could be improved upon.

The Antipodean 01-27-11 01:22 PM

It seems like all the demos/unreleased stuff that could be on a rerelease already came out on other sets, but who knows, I wouldn't get it just for a "remastering' myself

Guru Askew 01-27-11 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc (Post 10610846)
It seems like all the demos/unreleased stuff that could be on a rerelease already came out on other sets, but who knows, I wouldn't get it just for a "remastering' myself

There are several B-sides that weren't included on "With the Lights Out" and "Sliver: The Best of the Box". Those sets actually were never meant to be a catch-all of already-available odds and ends like "Incesticide" was and as such you have a pretty good start towards deluxe editions right there.

There are also any number of live shows that could be used as bonus material like the "Bleach" reissue but Universal owns "Nevermind" and "In Utero" so I doubt Sub Pop's "Bleach" reissue is much of an indicator in regards to formatting but I think you can look at all the other Universal Deluxe Editions and come to the conclusion that UMG could probably figure out some way to fill a 2nd disc for inevitable 20th Anniversary Editions of the two Nirvana studio albums they own.

With only two of their studio albums to mine I'm pretty sure Universal has been eagerly awaiting the 20th anniversary.

Buttmunker 01-27-11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Imprint (Post 10610620)

so you didn't think the Greatest Hits package sounded better (for songs from "Nevermind")? I thought the version of Smells Like Teen Spirit found there was light-years better than the version found on the original CD. But that's just me, I guess.

statcat 01-27-11 03:24 PM

I'd expect something like the lovely brick wall job done here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sTBoMlsw-0I" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Courtney needs some more money. It's about time I guess.

wendersfan 01-27-11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 10611087)
so you didn't think the Greatest Hits package sounded better (for songs from "Nevermind")? I thought the version of Smells Like Teen Spirit found there was light-years better than the version found on the original CD. But that's just me, I guess.

We've been through this before. It is just you.

GoVegan 01-27-11 04:02 PM

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab already released a remastered version ages ago, but they're an audiophile label, so it's not any louder than the original release. (I'd already forgotten about the BSSM thread.)

Imprint 01-27-11 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 10611087)

Definitely not. This page compares the Mobile Fidelity remaster of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (I wish they had just used the original CD for the comparison) to the compilation remaster.

statcat 01-27-11 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 10611113)

:lol:

Bluelitespecial 01-28-11 08:04 PM

This is not meant to thread crap, but I hope not. I don't think any of the grunge era music has aged very well. Whenever I hear Nirvana on the radio I think, this music might have been cool when I was a teenager, but its depressing as an adult. Besides Nirvana was responsible for ending the hair metal era.

nodeerforamonth 01-28-11 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10610587)

I suspect Krist Novasellic needs the money more than she does.

And he deserves it.

Nothing wrong with releasing something and getting paid for it based on sales.

Buttmunker 01-28-11 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 10611113)

i knew it. lol
i

auto 01-28-11 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10612995)
This is not meant to thread crap, but I hope not. I don't think any of the grunge era music has aged very well. Whenever I hear Nirvana on the radio I think, this music might have been cool when I was a teenager, but its depressing as an adult. Besides Nirvana was responsible for ending the hair metal era.

and thank god they did.

UAIOE 01-29-11 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10612995)
Besides Nirvana was responsible for ending the hair metal era.

And every time I listen to anything Nirvana, I thank them for that gift.

Boba Fett 01-29-11 04:12 AM

Apparently it won't be happening do to a miscommunication between two music execs.

One asked the other if they should remaster the Nirvana album, to which the second asked, "which one?" It was never discussed after the first exec answered, "oh, never mind."

gerrythedon 01-29-11 10:27 AM

A 2 disc would be nice.

Dick Van Dork 01-29-11 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10610587)

Exactly.

statcat 01-29-11 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10613004)
I suspect Krist Novasellic needs the money more than she does.

And he deserves it.

Nothing wrong with releasing something and getting paid for it based on sales.

I remember reading something that talked about how Kurt took almost all the money made from Nirvana leaving the other band members with hardly anything when he was alive. I know he would make the majority as songwriter, it's always like that. Can anybody elaborate on this if they know? I can't find the article.

nodeerforamonth 01-29-11 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by statcat (Post 10613574)
I remember reading something that talked about how Kurt took almost all the money made from Nirvana leaving the other band members with hardly anything when he was alive. I know he would make the majority as songwriter, it's always like that. Can anybody elaborate on this if they know? I can't find the article.

Yeah, it was a major point of contention in the band near the end. Can't remember the details and I'm not going to look them up, but I think Kurt took 75% of the royalties or something, since 1) he wrote the songs, and 2) he sang and played guitar.

Alan Smithee 01-30-11 06:29 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-v6ML2DsBfA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Numanoid 01-30-11 06:33 PM

Twenty years? How am I that old?