DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/585049-can-we-expect-20th-anniversary-release-nirvanas-nevermind-album-year.html)

Kenshiro 01-30-11 07:54 PM

Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10612995)
Besides Nirvana was responsible for ending the hair metal era.

Originally Posted by auto (Post 10613102)
and thank god they did.

Originally Posted by UAIOE (Post 10613307)
And every time I listen to anything Nirvana, I thank them for that gift.

+3

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10613004)
I suspect Krist Novasellic needs the money more than she does.

And he deserves it.

Nothing wrong with releasing something and getting paid for it based on sales.

I think Krist is working with Grohl on the next Foo Fighters album.

As for 'Nevermind' the 1991 disc sounds just fine.

BTW thanks OP, this thread was a reminder that I need to re-buy 'In Utero' which was lost in a move years ago.

Bluelitespecial 01-31-11 02:00 PM

Re: can we expect a 20th Anniversary release of Nirvana's "NEVERMIND" album this year

Nirvana destroyed everything that was awesome about music in the 80s, I'll always hate them for that.

Buttmunker 01-31-11 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10616645)
Nirvana destroyed everything that was awesome about music in the 80s, I'll always hate them for that.

Nah, the 80s started to suck after 1986 or so. Too much George Michael, too much Madonna, too much Michael Jackson. All the cool NewWave groups from 1980 thru 1985 started to fade out, and then it sucked. Sure, there was Depeche Mode and The Cure and Love and Rockets, but they became minimized by comparison to what was hot on Top 40 Pop.

Thank God for Nirvana. Thank God for Kurt Cobain.

Buttmunker 01-31-11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10613728)
Yeah, it was a major point of contention in the band near the end. Can't remember the details and I'm not going to look them up, but I think Kurt took 75% of the royalties or something, since 1) he wrote the songs, and 2) he sang and played guitar.

And yet he scorned money and fame. Go figure.

UAIOE 02-01-11 09:27 PM

I still hold the opinion that "hair metal" had reached its apex in the late 80's and just coasted by on comical excess and borderline parody till the early 90's came and consumers tastes changed.

MBoyd 02-01-11 10:00 PM

You know I have never owned this album. Everyone else had it. If a "remaster" comes I will probably buy it.

dhmac 02-05-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 10616655)
Nah, the 80s started to suck after 1986 or so. Too much George Michael, too much Madonna, too much Michael Jackson. All the cool NewWave groups from 1980 thru 1985 started to fade out, and then it sucked. Sure, there was Depeche Mode and The Cure and Love and Rockets, but they became minimized by comparison to what was hot on Top 40 Pop.

Thank God for Nirvana. Thank God for Kurt Cobain.

Seems like you listened to mostly shit in the '80s. The best stuff was really only being played by college radio stations back then (The Smiths, Pixies, The Church, and so on, including the few good bands you mention). I just ignored Top 40 entirely back then, the same way I now ignore American Idol.

nodeerforamonth 02-05-11 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 10616657)
And yet he scorned money and fame. Go figure.

He never scorned the money. He always admitted that. He scorned the fame.

Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "the money's good, the fame I could definitely do without".

nodeerforamonth 02-05-11 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 10624466)
Seems like you listened to mostly shit in the '80s. The best stuff was really only being played by college radio stations back then (The Smiths, Pixies, The Church, and so on, including the few good bands you mention). I just ignored Top 40 entirely back then, the same way I now ignore American Idol.

Couldn't agree more. The '80s were the best decade ever if you listened to college radio and/or were part of the tape trading scene.

Top 40 should always be ignored. Even if it's good stuff, by the time it hits the top 40 (for me), it's already been way overplayed.

Buttmunker 06-22-11 08:28 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/20th-A....html?x=0&.v=1

Well, nobody can really be surprised, but here's the official announcement. We're getting four CD's and one DVD (apparently some concert - I was hoping for the music videos).

orangecrush 06-22-11 08:32 AM

for the lazy:

20th Anniversary of Nirvana's "Nevermind" Album Celebrated With a Deluxe Edition in September

tweet0EmailPrint..Press Release Source: Universal Music Enterprises On Wednesday June 22, 2011, 9:00 am
LOS ANGELES, June 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Nirvana, the trio comprised of Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, and Dave Grohl, hailed originally from a coastal fishing town in Washington and rose to become one of the most influential rock bands in history with irreverence, intense honesty and an overriding passion. The cultural shift Nirvana's Nevermind initiated was felt instantly on release -- and the profundity and depth of that shift becomes even more apparent when seen through the prism of the two decades of art and music created in its wake.

Released in September of 1991, Nirvana's Nevermind garnered near-unanimous praise and rose within a few months to the No. 1 slot on Billboard's U.S. sales chart. Nevermind was propelled to No. 1 across the globe by their young fans worldwide that identified with the band and embraced their anthem "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and its landmark music video. Since then, it has sold more than 30 million albums.

Nirvana changed the course of popular music forever and remains an inspiration to those who have followed.

Today, Universal Music Enterprises is pleased to announce the 4-CD/1-DVD Super Deluxe Edition of Nirvana's Nevermind available September 19, 2011, in the U.K. and September 20, 2011, in North America. The CDs will include previously unreleased recordings, rarities, b-sides, BBC radio appearances, alternative mixes, rare live recordings and an unreleased concert in its entirety on DVD.

The 20th anniversary of Nirvana will be marked throughout the year, with various events and releases.
Depending on how much is carried over from the lights out box set and various bootlegs I have, it could be pretty awesome.

nodeerforamonth 06-22-11 08:55 AM

I just hope the CDs are full of music, not just single with a couple of b-sides per disk.

Dan1boy 06-22-11 12:09 PM

I tend to agree. Glad somebody had the audacious balls to state publicly.

Hokeyboy 06-22-11 12:47 PM

^Yeah think how many more awesome Winger, Britny Fox, and The Nelsons albums we could've gotten if it wasn't for Nevermind!!1!!1!!! :mad:

Spiderbite 06-22-11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10827393)
^Yeah think how many more awesome Winger, Britny Fox, and The Nelsons albums we could've gotten if it wasn't for Nevermind!!1!!1!!! :mad:

No shit. People tend to forget how crappy popular music was at the time.

I would give anything for a group like Nirvana to come along and rule the airwaves right now. Right now, a Nirvana-type group is needed more than ever in popular music. Rock and Roll on the Top 40 is dead.

The Antipodean 06-22-11 07:14 PM

This 5-disc edition sounds sweet, can't wait to hear what might be on it -- I do hope it's not just a ripoff of the Lights Out box, there can't be THAT much more in the archives unheard...

Josh-da-man 06-22-11 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10827393)

Speaking as a metal fan, I can say that this is absolutely correct.

Nirvana didn't kill "(hair) metal" in the late 80s, it destroyed itself. You had this flood of shit bands like Winger, Britney Fox, Warrant, White Lion, Firehouse, and Trixter that were aiming at the tweener girl market (the same types who send Selena Gomez death threats now).

Not to mention that even established real metal acts like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dio, and Black Sabbath were floundering at this time due to frequent line-up changes and a general loss of fire.

A lot of the metalheads I knew, including myself, were getting our fix from bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains in the early 90s.

nodeerforamonth 06-22-11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10828197)
A lot of the metalheads I knew, including myself, were getting our fix from bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains in the early 90s.

Yep! I had a college radio "metal" show in the '80s & '90s. Nirvana and Soundgarden (along with Mudhoney, Coffin Break, and others) were a breath of fresh air.

statcat 06-22-11 11:46 PM

I still don't get the insane admiration for this band. These re-releases only feed Courtney Love's pocket books with stuff that's already surely been bootlegged before.

nodeerforamonth 06-22-11 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10828197)
You had this flood of shit bands like Winger, Britney Fox, Warrant, White Lion, Firehouse, and Trixter that were aiming at the tweener girl market (the same types who send Selena Gomez death threats now).

And as much as I hate those bands and think they're lame, they completely stomp over anything on today's top 40.

Clockwork 06-23-11 01:51 AM

I agree.

Buttmunker 06-23-11 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 10827949)
Rock and Roll on the Top 40 is dead.

It's been dead for a long, long time. The dominance on the radio has been R&B, Hip-Hop, and Rap. Oh, and "Dance Music," if that's the proper term for it? Teeny bop dance music like Britney Spears or whatever.

Rock bands like Fall Out Boy and (ugggh) Nickelback are but a sprinkling of salt in an ocean of pepper. Or, if that sounds like a bad analogy, use this: a sprinkling of fly shit in an ocean of pepper.

AnonomusBob15 06-23-11 08:41 AM

I have a remastered disc of the BBC tracks and it sounds great for a bootleg, miles ahead of the ones that popped up on With the Lights Out. I'm guessing they'll use the same source as they did for that.

There aren't many great sounding demos for this band, and you know there are plenty in the vault. Hopefully they'll dust them off.

I'm also guessing the live show will be one previously bootlegged, though it'll definitely be an upgrade. Might be worth it for that alone. I probably have 5-6 bootleg Nirvana DVDs, all ripped from old VHS tapes or TV broadcasts. The recently released Reading Festival DVD was most awesome.

Buttmunker 06-23-11 08:43 AM

Who holds the rights to their TV appearances? Like their SNL appearance, and such? Their TV appearances would be great to have on DVD, along with the music videos.

Mike86 06-23-11 11:54 AM

Depending on what they throw on as extras and the pricing I may be interested in picking this up. I'm not the biggest fan of them or anything but this album is a classic (even though not my favorite of their releases) so an upgrade is welcome as long as it doesn't have a crappy remaster.