Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kinda sorta congratulations to Cake!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The good news (for Cake): they have a #1 album!
The bad news (for the industry): it set a record low for a #1 album!

Another New Low Atop Billboard Chart
By BEN SISARIO

For a stark illustration of how record sales have changed in recent years, take a look at Billboard’s charts this week for albums and track downloads.

For decades the Top 200, the magazine’s album chart, has been the music industry’s standard sales yardstick, since record companies have traditionally earned most of their profits from full CDs. But as record stores have vanished and people have turned to digital music — according to Nielsen SoundScan, digital downloads now account for 46 percent of all music purchases, including both full albums and individual tracks — sales of full albums have fallen. And fallen. For students of the music industry, the weekly album chart can be a grim read, as the numbers hit historic low after historic low.

On last week’s chart Taylor Swift’s “Speak Now” (Big Machine) landed at No. 1 with 52,000 copies sold, the fewest Billboard has recorded for an album in the top slot since 1991, when it began using certified sales records from SoundScan. There were some mitigating factors, of course: it was mid-January, the slowest point in the industry’s annual sales cycle, and the album had been out for three months.

This week, though, the floor fell again. “Showroom of Compassion” (Upbeat), the comeback release by the band Cake, opened at No. 1 with 44,000 sales. (or two million fewer copies than ’N Sync’s “No Strings Attached,” the record-holder for the biggest opening, sold in its first week in March 2000.)
The numbers for the rest of the Top 10 go down from there: the Kentucky rock band Cage the Elephant’s second album, “Thank You Happy Birthday” (Jive), bowed at No. 2 with 39,000 copies sold, and another new album, the self-titled debut by the country duo Steel Magnolia (released by Ms. Swift’s label, Big Machine), opened at No. 7 with 28,000.

Yet Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, which tracks singles, includes some high numbers. The new song by Britney Spears, “Hold It Against Me,” will open at No. 1 on the chart with 411,000 downloads. That is the most for a female artist since Ms. Swift sold 325,000 downloads of her song “Today Was a Fairytale” a year ago. “Grenade” by Bruno Mars is the No. 2 track, with 219,000 sales, bringing that song’s four-month total to nearly 2.6 million.

But even digital music has hit a sales plateau. Last year nearly 1.2 billion individual tracks were sold, an increase of only 1 percent from 2009; the previous year digital track sales rose 8 percent, and the year before that 27 percent.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...llboard-chart/

Congratulations?

Pressure Chief wasn't all that great, but I still like Cake. Haven't picked up the new one yet, though. Maybe I just got burned out from their Facebook feed, which - prior to the new album's release - contained about 95% political posts, 5% actual band news. It got pretty tiresome.
Old 01-19-11, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Kinda sorta congratulations to Cake!

I can't stand Cake, so I'm very happy to hear that if they're going to be getting a number one album, it's going to hold the record for lowest selling number one of all time.
Old 01-19-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

44,000, seriously. That's just embarassingly low when you think there are 350 million+ Americans and 6 billion in the world. Doesn't speak at all well for the future of the music industry as we know it, but then I guess that boat is sailing....
Old 01-19-11, 10:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Doesn't speak at all well for the business of selling pre-recorded music as we know it, but then I guess that boat is sailing....
fixed.
Old 01-20-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do those numbers include digital copies at all? I bought this album in MP3 format.
Old 01-20-11, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cake are still around? wow...
Old 01-20-11, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Cake.
Old 01-20-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all fairness to the "industry" .. There really hasn't been a lot of new releases recently. However i hate the music "industry".. But I like Cake. Good for them!
Old 01-20-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I can't stand Cake, so I'm very happy to hear that if they're going to be getting a number one album, it's going to hold the record for lowest selling number one of all time.
I wouldn't imagine that record will stand for very long, though. . .
Old 01-20-11, 10:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
In all fairness to the "industry" .. There really hasn't been a lot of new releases recently.
This is what happens when the record companies flood all their heavy hitters into the market in the same 4-5 week span before the holidays. New albums by Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, MJ, Susan Boyle, Kanye, Pink, Josh Groban, Kid Rock, Kesha, the cast of Glee, Nelly, and many others flooded the market at the same time to take advantage of holiday shopping.
Old 01-20-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked Cake when they were popular. I haven't heard a lick of material from them since those days. Dubious honor, indeed.
Old 01-20-11, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
I wouldn't imagine that record will stand for very long, though. . .
No, I suspect those numbers will continue to drop.
Old 01-20-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
#1 is still #1, and as pointed out the numbers are only going to get worse. So in the end, Cake had a #1 album and the numbers won't matter.

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
In all fairness to the "industry" .. There really hasn't been a lot of new releases recently. However i hate the music "industry".. But I like Cake. Good for them!
It's also an independent release with zero advertising, which is more impressive.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I liked Cake when they were popular. I haven't heard a lick of material from them since those days. Dubious honor, indeed.
This is the first album in about 6-7 years. If you like the old stuff, you'll like the new stuff. They don't change a lot, but they do have their own distinct sound which helps.