Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Dr. Dre's Detox be released in 2011?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Will Detox release in 2011?
Yes
42.31%
No
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple poll...do you think the famously delayed album will come out this year? We've been waiting over 10 years, and a single is promised...but...
Old 01-16-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Will Dr. Dre's Detox be released in 2011?

I think it'll finally come out.
Old 01-16-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well they released the video for Kush.......so I'd hope so
Old 01-16-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Yes. We'll see if it's any good.
Old 01-17-11, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was also a 'single' released last year, but it never came out. I'm saying no.
Old 01-22-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Detox
3. Duke Nukem

or

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Duke Nukem
3. Detox

Yes both will come out in the next few months...

... I hope, well DETOX I want now!
Old 01-23-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No twikoff option??
Old 01-23-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
There was also a 'single' released last year, but it never came out. I'm saying no.
Are you talking about that Under Pressure track with Jay-Z that leaked online and didn't have the chorus or anything? I wouldn't really say that was a 'released single'

Yes I think Detox will finally be released in 2011 and after how long it's been coming it better be good
Old 01-24-11, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
Are you talking about that Under Pressure track with Jay-Z that leaked online and didn't have the chorus or anything? I wouldn't really say that was a 'released single'

Yes I think Detox will finally be released in 2011 and after how long it's been coming it better be good

If Doc Dre would've spent as much time working on Detox as he did lifting weights (or taking steroids from the looks of him) then Detox would've been released 4 or 5 years ago.

And yes, this thing better blow me away. I love the beats and music on the single. But Dre raps for all of 35 seconds and Snoop Dogg delivers yet another forgettable verse.

Round up Eminem, bring back Daz & Kurupt, and do the damn thing.

And while I'm on my Dre rant, enough with these no-name rappers that Dre littered the last Chronic album with. We NEVER hear from these guys again.

Dre can get any rapper or R&B singer on planet earth to contribute to his shit, it'd be nice to see that happen.

Last edited by Throwing Copper; 01-24-11 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 05:32 PM

I read somewhere he wants to do a Friday release instead of the traditional Tuesday - also I heard he was thinking not this year now as he had a recent burst of creativity which could result in a double album or at the very least have another in the can so there won't be such a long gap between albums, but Detox will definitely drop end of 2012; most likely the Friday right before Christmas as well....
Old 01-27-11, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Damone
I read somewhere he wants to do a Friday release instead of the traditional Tuesday - also I heard he was thinking not this year now as he had a recent burst of creativity which could result in a double album or at the very least have another in the can so there won't be such a long gap between albums, but Detox will definitely drop end of 2012; most likely the Friday right before Christmas as well....
Please tell me this is a joke....or provide a link if you can remember where you read this.
Old 01-27-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I think the fact that we got Kush late last year could be a decent indicator that the album is coming soon.
Old 01-27-11, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think the fact that we got Kush late last year could be a decent indicator that the album is coming soon.
I agree. Why go to the trouble of releasing an official single and making an expensive video for it if you're not close to releasing the record.

Maybe we'll see "Detox" by March or April.
Old 01-29-11, 05:09 PM

is there anyway this could possibly live up to the hype?
Old 01-29-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
is there anyway this could possibly live up to the hype?
I'd be very surprised if it did. I loved The Chronic, so waiting for 2001 was a killer. When it finally came out, I was pretty disappointed with it. I'm hoping to not have a similar experience here, but I'm kind of expecting to unfortunately.
Old 02-21-15, 08:04 PM

I know Dre is so filthy rich now because of the Beats by Dre sale, but damn it'd be nice if he'd just release something.
Old 02-21-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I know Dre is so filthy rich now because of the Beats by Dre sale, but damn it'd be nice if he'd just release something.
Honestly, I think he's done as a performer. If 'Kush' and 'I Need a Doctor' didn't lead to something being released, nothing will.
Old 02-21-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really not sure what the deal is with the hold up of this album. I get that maybe he's a perfectionist and wants to release a solid album, but at this point it's sort of ridiculous and I don't care that much anymore. I'll buy it if it ever comes out but if not whatever. I'm in agreement with EdTheRipper in that I'm starting to doubt it'll ever come out now either given that the two singles released back in 2010 and 2011 respectively (damn it's been that long already??) led to nothing. I'm not even that big of a hip hop fan but I do like Dre and would have liked to get this album but it's gotten old being told its almost done a bunch of times only for nothing to actually be released.
Old 02-22-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

It's amazing the guy has only released two albums.
Old 02-22-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Ice Cube said that he thinks the reason Dre hasn't released Detox is because of the success of Beats by Dre. Why risk the name brand with the possibility that the your new album might flop? He's making money with Beats and still putting out artists like Kendrick Lamar.

Despite 2001 being a success I was pretty disappointed so I don't care if Detox ever gets released, especially since he has other people making the beats anyways.
Old 02-22-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally got a chance to vote on this one...
Old 02-23-15, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Ice Cube said that he thinks the reason Dre hasn't released Detox is because of the success of Beats by Dre. Why risk the name brand with the possibility that the your new album might flop? He's making money with Beats and still putting out artists like Kendrick Lamar.
Honestly that just seems like a lame excuse to use to not put the album out. I somehow doubt that even if the album wasn't great that it would impact sales of Beats much at all. I don't think that necessarily everyone who buys a pair of Beats does so because they're a fan of Dre so I really don't see how an album that not everyone will care about would effect sales. He should just come out and say the album is cancelled if he doesn't intend to put it out.
Old 02-23-15, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly that just seems like a lame excuse to use to not put the album out. I somehow doubt that even if the album wasn't great that it would impact sales of Beats much at all. I don't think that necessarily everyone who buys a pair of Beats does so because they're a fan of Dre so I really don't see how an album that not everyone will care about would effect sales. He should just come out and say the album is cancelled if he doesn't intend to put it out.
Well I don't think that's the only reason. I think it also has to do with his legacy in hip-hop. He's been to known to be a perfectionist, and I doubt he wants anything tarnishing his his reputation or legacy.

Right now he's known as hip-hop legend, as well as being the guy who put out Eminem, Game, and now Kendrick. He's the head of Aftermath Entertainment, and the founder of Beats by Dre. He probably doesn't even feel the need to release another solo album when he's got so much else going on. And why risk your reputation when you don't have to?

As far as people buying Beats whether their fans or not of Dr. Dre, I think the general consensus is that Beats by Dre's marketing is helped by the fact that it's associated with the musical legend who gave us Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 2001, and Kendrick Lamar. The Dre name may lose a bit of its prestige if his latest album is a commercial and critical flop. People may not even be rap fans, but the subconscious of the consumer is a complicated thing. We associate good things with status and wealth.

The thought of wearing skinny jeans was totally alien to most guys. Kanye starts wearing them and baggy jeans are out, skinny jeans are whats in.
Old 02-23-15, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't know why Dre or Jay-Z would ever put out an album again. At this point both so far above music they have no need to. It's not like a great album will push them further along. I mean Dre is more than likely going to become the first rapper billionaire.
Old 02-23-15, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beavis69
I don't know why Dre or Jay-Z would ever put out an album again. At this point both so far above music they have no need to. It's not like a great album will push them further along. I mean Dre is more than likely going to become the first rapper billionaire.
I think for the most part, both of their passions is music. Jay-Z still puts out albums because rapping is his life. Dr. Dre became the household name he is today, mostly because of his first solo album "The Chronic." However, he's always been considered more of a producer than a rapper, since he admits he never writes his own raps. Which is why I think that Dr. Dre is more content working behind the scenes with artists, producing or executive producing albums than putting out anything on his own.

It's pretty crazy to look back when Jay-Z was barely putting out his second album and then seeing him acquiring so much success and status that he's invited to the white house and having meetings with the governor of New York.

Same goes for Dr. Dre. He had to leave Deathrow Records with nothing, his Dr. Dre presents album wasn't that well regarded to the point that people wrote him off...and now he's one of hip-hop's wealthiest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.