Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When Did You Lose Respect for Steven Tyler?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: When Did You Lose Respect for Steven Tyler?
I never respected him. Aerosmith was always a shitty band.
20.00%
I liked classic Aerosmith, but they've sucked since they reunited.
21.60%
The Run-DMC duet. There's rap in my rock! Ick!
0.80%
When he started pimping his daughters in his videos.
9.60%
Armageddon. Why not do a duet with Bryan Adams while you're at it?
28.80%
American Idol. And I thought Liz Phair's attempts to remain relevant were embarrassing.
13.60%
I will always respect Steven Tyler. That song from Armageddon was so brilliant.
5.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

When Did You Lose Respect for Steven Tyler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: When Did You Lose Respect for Steven Tyler?

Originally Posted by JAA
Certainly not. However, I sense many only know Aerosmith (post-reunion) and I am betting many of those are the ones voting "always a shitty band". I wouldn't have been able to find anyone who was there in the 70's who would've made such a comment.
True but even in the 70's they were essentially a stoner band. Wearing an Aerosmith t-shirt was basically telling the cops you had a dime bag in your pocket They never had the respect that bands like the The Who and The Stones had. Their 2 seminal 70's albums have held up well but their reputation has always been that of a sometime great but inconsistent band.
Old 01-19-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JAA
Certainly not. However, I sense many only know Aerosmith (post-reunion) and I am betting many of those are the ones voting "always a shitty band". I wouldn't have been able to find anyone who was there in the 70's who would've made such a comment.
Sorry you're wrong. Never liked them. Saw alot of bands in the 70s and we had no interest in them.
Old 01-19-11, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in the 70's (and 80's; Being born in '66, I needed a decade and a half to do that), and I was never really a fan of Aerosmith. The radio station I listened to didn't play them much outside of their 2 or 3 biggest hits (Perhaps the station programmers weren't into them either), but even later when I borrowed a friend's copy of Pandora's Box, upon hearing a great deal more of their extensive oeuvre, I still didn't get into them.

The one thing I really liked was "Train Kept a Rollin'", and as I came to know, that was essentially a cover of a cover. Led Zeppelin did Led Zeppelin covering the blues much better than Aerosmith did.

Last edited by HUG-H; 01-19-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a downward slide for years now. I think Be Cool was a major nail, but American Idol just hammers the lid shut.
Old 01-19-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Dude does indeed, look like a lady.

Seeing this picture is when I lost respect for Steven Tyler.
Old 01-19-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doing AI can't really tarnish my opinion of Tyler/Aerosmith as I don't hate or like them.

I like some of their songs, but nothing that would drive me to buy a "Greatest Hits" album.
Old 01-19-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tyler also discussed his jam session with the members of Led Zeppelin after Robert Plant opted not to tour with them after their 2007 reunion gig. "When I looked Jimmy [Page] in the eyes and he said 'Wanna write a record with me?' I said, 'No,'" Tyler said. "I have such an allegiance to my band and I love it so much." He said he and Page might do some select "one-off" gigs in the future. Despite the cold relationships in the band, Tyler revealed the band already has dates booked in South America and Japan later this year.

What rock singer on this planet would turn down a chance to write and record with Jimmy Page? He's either full of crap or he's a moron.
Old 01-19-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Aerosmith has been 'downhill', hell at the bottom of the hill, since the 70's breakup.

Sobriety totally ruined that band. What they came out with after reuniting in the later 80's was just embarrassing pop music crap.
I don't understand why so many people are saying they've been putting out crap for so long. Get a Grip was an excellent album. Livin on the Edge and Eat the Rich are great rock songs. The rest of the hits from that album are good also. They have only released 3 albums since Get a Grip which came out almost 20 years ago. Bobo was ok, but not my type of music, so that leaves Just Push Play and Nine Lives which really, are not crap, but not as good as everything before Get a Grip. Aerosmith got a bad rep for Armageddon crap and now AI.
Old 01-19-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

"Crap" is an easy way to say "their musical style has shifted so far from what they used to be, a style that I greatly dislike, and it appears they are past their prime but continue to make albums".
Old 01-20-11, 12:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
"Crap" is an easy way to say "their musical style has shifted so far from what they used to be, a style that I greatly dislike, and it appears they are past their prime but continue to make albums".
When you have bands that have been around 20/30/even 40 years, OF COURSE their musical style will change. What gets me is how everyone ALWAYS says "I like their older stuff, their newer stuff sucks" when it comes to ANY band. For some reason, people think it is "cool" to like bands older stuff and I dont know why. I guess it is because most people figure that people will not be familiar with older stuff so in a way it's like they know something other people don't know about. Hard to explain so I hope I'm making sense.
In this case, yes, Aerosmith's older stuff is better without question. But, then you have bands like Metallica where the fans are notorious for saying they like the older stuff and everything after And Justice for All sucks which I disagree with.
Old 01-20-11, 12:43 AM
Suspended

I normally applaud (well,not literally...) anyone who realizes that he/she has a drinking/drug problem and decides to get clean and sober.
However,in the case of Mr Tyler,when he checked out of rehab,he left his balls behind.
Old 01-20-11, 01:25 AM
Zbu

I think my last shred of respect finally faded when Tyler fell off the stage a few months ago. Combined with American Idol, he's shown that he doesn't know when to hang it up. And when it comes to burning out or fading away, a lot of rock stars of that era simply don't know when to just let it go. At some point, living in that past is just sad.
Old 01-20-11, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I mean it was crap. As an absolutely factual descriptive term regarding the artistic and musical merit of the work. It was embarrassing compared to their earlier work to be sure, but even in an alternate universe where the late 80's reunion stuff was recorded as their first work, it would still suck and be crap.

'Train Kept a Rollin' from 1974, 'Chip Away at the Stone' in 1978 even, etc. Cool straight up rock n roll. 'Rocks' is a great album.

'Get a Grip' and the rest of their stuff belongs in Tom Bombadil's forest.
Old 01-20-11, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
When you have bands that have been around 20/30/even 40 years, OF COURSE their musical style will change. What gets me is how everyone ALWAYS says "I like their older stuff, their newer stuff sucks" when it comes to ANY band. For some reason, people think it is "cool" to like bands older stuff and I dont know why. I guess it is because most people figure that people will not be familiar with older stuff so in a way it's like they know something other people don't know about. Hard to explain so I hope I'm making sense.
In this case, yes, Aerosmith's older stuff is better without question. But, then you have bands like Metallica where the fans are notorious for saying they like the older stuff and everything after And Justice for All sucks which I disagree with.
Sometimes people may be saying it to be "cool", but often times it is also true. I don't even see how a person could argue that something like "Get a Grip" is nearly as good as "Rocks" or "Toys in the Attic". I think a lot of times bands lose their creativity and it simply becomes more of a job and a way to get out there and tour.

Some bands put out albums later in their career that rival their earlier output (Dinosaur Jr. comes to mind) but unfortunately those bands are few and far between.

Get a Grip for instance has basically the same song on it three times (Cryin, Amazing and Crazy). I hate music snobbery as much as the next guy, but with regards to Aerosmith, the quality of their first 3 or four albums is way, way, way higher than the quality of their last three.
Old 01-20-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Is Tyler sporting breasts in this picture? I swear I see breasts.
Old 01-21-11, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the option "When he turned into a Sleestak" ?

I don't "respect" many people, but my opinion of him dropped immensely when he told that 16 year old she was "showing the right amount of skin" on AI.

I have nothing against dudes banging broads who are young enough to be their daughter or even granddaughter (18 or older), but saying what he did to someone who is young and looks young...that shit ain't cool.
Old 01-21-11, 10:28 PM

Shit piled up to the knees...
Old 01-22-11, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Applejack
Get a Grip for instance has basically the same song on it three times (Cryin, Amazing and Crazy).
I gotta agree here, the songs do sound pretty much the same.

It also didn't help that Alicia Silverstone was in all three videos. But Liv was in "Crazy" (right?).
Old 01-22-11, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

after his band Chain Reaction
Old 01-02-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Recent photo of a sexy Steven Tyler in Maui on his honeymoon...
Old 01-02-12, 10:28 PM

^
I see his hideous wife but I need more than just ST's hand to tell whats going on.
Old 01-02-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

looks more like topless Janet Reno.
Old 01-02-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The Super Bowl when he performed with Britney Spears. The Steve Tyler of the 70s would have bent her over the drum riser and banged her right there on stage.
Old 01-03-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fitting that a guy who's always wanted to be female would be graced with man boobs.
Old 01-03-12, 09:17 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Never really thought about it before reading this thread, but in all honesty I guess I'd have to say that I've always respected Steven Tyler as a musician, I've never cared enough about American Idol to know anything about it other than avoiding it for the death of brain cells that it is to me. I will say that I particularly like his early albums, I even like Janey's Got A Gun and Going Down/Love In An Elevator, Toys In The Attic (the song) is pretty good, Dream On was played to death like Stairway To Heaven, I got sick of hearing it. I haven't heard much of their latest stuff, my musical tastes have changed over the years, I no longer listen to nearly as much nerve-jangling stuff as I used to, in favor of progressive jazz/new age. Train Kept A Rollin' from Get Your Wings is IMHO the best song they ever did.

As far as the Poll goes, since there isn't an option 'I respect Steven Tyler as a musician' without any other conditions, I'll have to pass on voting. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 01-03-12 at 09:35 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.