Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

December 8, 1980

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: December 8, 1980

Originally Posted by covenant
I was 14 at the time and barely remember it. I wasn't a Beatles fan and neither were my parents. I don't remember anyone reacting to it at school.
Same here. I found it amazing that some people were saying that people were openly crying in grade school.

I was 13, and barely remember it. Was just another news story to me and my friends. By contrast, I vividly remember when Elvis died three years earlier. I remember Reagan being shot only a few months later. But Lennon's death didn't make much of a splash.
Old 12-09-10, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
But in terms of awesome culture, probably the best day ever. I was born that day; my parents nearly named me John.

RIP, John.
Interesting. So was I.
(Happy Birthday by the way!)
Old 12-09-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Same here. I found it amazing that some people were saying that people were openly crying in grade school.

I was 13, and barely remember it. Was just another news story to me and my friends. By contrast, I vividly remember when Elvis died three years earlier. I remember Reagan being shot only a few months later. But Lennon's death didn't make much of a splash.
I don't know how/where you were that day, but that's completely antithetical to everything I remember from that day. Plus there were kids up to 15 years old at my campus, and many of them were raised on Beatles music growing up. We sang their songs in chorus, music class, etc. It was still a big part of popular culture, even if the band was no more.

Lennon's death not making "much of a splash" sounds patently absurd to me, but maybe my experience was at the polar opposite of yours.

Who shot JR, that was another big hoohah at the time too...

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 12-09-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-09-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was 12, and that was my experience, too. I hadn't really gotten into music at that point, and I was ignorant to the scope of his stature in the music world at that point. I still never became a HUGE Beatles/Lennon fan, but I certainly came to appreciate their accomplishments.
Old 12-09-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

I was 16 working in department store when I heard about it that night. I remember NOT being surprised for some reason.
Old 12-09-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I was 13 too and remember Double Fantasy getting heavy airplay. It was Lennon all the time at the local rock station. I remember the candlelight vigil downtown (which was a big deal considering the small city I grew up in). Too this day, Double Fantasy makes me think of those winter days. I don't remember anything in particular in school but I had 3 older siblings and was around older people more often than not which exposed me to stuff other than Kiss or whatever the kids were listening to at the time.
Old 12-09-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't born yet. I hadn't realized how much of an impact it had on people. I mean I didn't care when MJ died.
Old 12-09-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeR63
I remember that I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell broke in with the news.
That's what I was doing too.
Old 12-09-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember alot of "It should have been Paul" stuff going around.
Old 12-12-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of weeks ago I read

December 8. 1980 the Day John Lennon Died by Keith Elliot Greenberg.

good book.
Old 12-13-10, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like Lenno had no plans whats so ever on The Beatles getting back together.
I think they would have in the mid 80's or early 90's had he lived.
Old 12-13-10, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I remember alot of "It should have been Paul" stuff going around.
Paul had been dead for fourteen years when Lennon was murdered.
Old 12-13-10, 08:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Seems like Lenno had no plans whats so ever on The Beatles getting back together.
I think they would have in the mid 80's or early 90's had he lived.
According to reports, during the Double Fantasy sessions, Lennon would reminisce about The Beatles in a way he hadn't throughout the 70's, and took a lot of pride in his accomplishments with the band. At the same time, Lennon never said he was interested in getting The Beatles back together, and in fact often told people that if the band were to get back together, it wouldn't be the same and could never live up to the hype.

The closest things got was when SNL made the offer for The Beatles to reunite for some tiny amount of money. Apparently McCartney was visiting Lennon at the time, and they considered taking a cab over to the studio, but ultimately decided to just stay in.
Old 12-13-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John hasn't missed anything by being dead for the last 30 years.
Old 12-13-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
John hasn't missed anything by being dead for the last 30 years.
Yeah just seeing his son grow up, walks in the park, having breakfast with his wife, taking trips to Europe, seeing the sun come up on a Sunday morning etc.

All that boring stuff you don't appreciate when you've been alive all those years.
Old 12-13-10, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
According to reports, during the Double Fantasy sessions, Lennon would reminisce about The Beatles in a way he hadn't throughout the 70's, and took a lot of pride in his accomplishments with the band. At the same time, Lennon never said he was interested in getting The Beatles back together, and in fact often told people that if the band were to get back together, it wouldn't be the same and could never live up to the hype.

The closest things got was when SNL made the offer for The Beatles to reunite for some tiny amount of money. Apparently McCartney was visiting Lennon at the time, and they considered taking a cab over to the studio, but ultimately decided to just stay in.
As for their 80's music Lennon's MILK & HONEY is better than DOUBLE FANTASY and Paul put out o.k. music up to 1984. George did o.k. too. So altogether who knows. I believe that 1985's LIVE AID would have brought them together for some music and then they would have done a greatest hits tour around 1986 and a LP in late 87.
Old 12-14-10, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
As for their 80's music Lennon's MILK & HONEY is better than DOUBLE FANTASY and Paul put out o.k. music up to 1984. George did o.k. too. So altogether who knows. I believe that 1985's LIVE AID would have brought them together for some music and then they would have done a greatest hits tour around 1986 and a LP in late 87.
If the remaining three couldn't get it together for charity I doubt all four could either.
Old 12-14-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah just seeing his son grow up, walks in the park, having breakfast with his wife, taking trips to Europe, seeing the sun come up on a Sunday morning etc.

All that boring stuff you don't appreciate when you've been alive all those years.
And don't forget all the pot and heroin he missed out on.

I think he was still a junkie, abeit in the closet.
Old 12-14-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I don't.

The reason the three "couldn't get it together for charity" is because they are a foursome.

The biggest thing Mark David Chapman took from us all was all of the possibilities.
You're saying the three intentionally didn't want to raise a zillion bucks for charity by playing 20 minutes of Beatles tunes because it wouldn't be "The Beatles"?
Old 12-14-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Without Lennon (before Lennon died), the three Beatles were known as The Threetles.

Fact is, Harrison still despised live shows, and didn't want to bother. Heck, they didn't even want to do a few minutes on the TV show Saturday Night Live in 1975.
Old 12-08-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 334 Likes on 176 Posts

Just remembering John Lennon, now 35 years since he's passed.
Old 12-08-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,160 Likes on 906 Posts

I wasn't alive when it happened but it definitely sucks that he was taken from us so early. A great talent to say the least.
Old 12-08-15, 10:42 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Reading these old comments makes me speculate. I was in preschool at the time and have no recollection but perhaps this lack of attention you guys describe had something to do with how unpopular he was among the status quo leaders of the time. Even the democrats didn't care for his anti war postures and advocacy for "out there" beliefs.
Old 12-09-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouchoFan
Even after 30 years, I still can't believe I live in a world in which John Lennon has been murdered. It's not like he was one of those booze and drug fueled rock stars who choked on his own vomit, or died in a plane crash; some fucking asshole just walked up to him and fucking shot him. WHAT THE FUCK?!?! How the hell is the world supposed to make any fucking sense after that happens?

Grief is supposed to ease with the passage of time; mine only seems to get worse. I really can't think it about it too much; I put it away in a compartment in my mind, and I get on with my life. College, work, marriage, raising my daughter, introducing her to the Beatles and hearing them fresh again through her ears. But every so often it comes out and the pain is as fresh as ever.

I hate December 8 every year. And now I really have to stop thinking about it.
I know this was an old post from this person but given how preposterous of a post that was - this is a must read to anyone who thinks Lennon was "amazing":

http://listverse.com/2012/05/12/top-...t-john-lennon/
Old 12-09-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

I was born that year, so obviously don't remember it happening. I do recall hearing about it later on in life, and how much it impacted a lot of people.

I didn't realize that Dimebag was shot on the same day of the year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.