Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2010 Grammy Nominees Announced

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2010 Grammy Nominees Announced

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 2010 Grammy Nominees Announced

Originally Posted by Decker
Settle down, Francis. Nobody called Arcade Fire an unknown band.
Originally Posted by David12
I said last night that the worst thing about Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year was how difficult it was going to be to justify it to everyone whose never heard of them. I guess I was right! The Suburbs is a great album.
Wake up, Sport ... yeah they have called them an unknown band, as much as any band up for Album of the Year could be. Others have commented that people don't even know their correct name let alone their music. So, how about paying attention ... m'kay Sport?
Old 02-15-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by david12
Having said that, I wasn't to thrilled with their performance of Month of May..
I was thrilled with them playing Month of May - it's not one of the singles that gets played on the radio, and is quite different than pretty much any other AF song. I looked at it like a nice "Screw you, we play what we want." while others were playing their hits, or hyping a new track.

But yeah the strobes were overkill.
Old 02-15-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
However if you think the album is "great" you need greatness lessons. It's not even Arcade Fire's best album and I don't personally know any Arcade Fire fan that thinks it is.
Ah yes, the opinion police are out again. Think as I do or you're wrong.
Old 02-15-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,470 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I didn't watch the Grammy's and don't pay too much attention to Billboard's charts, but Arcade Fire did have a number one album last summer. It's not like they are that subversive. I love the Twitter comments.
Speaking of faux subversion: I did think it was hilarious that Muse performed a song about revolution and sticking it to the Man at the Grammys. Listen up, folks, you are the Man. You are fat cats. You are in the business of mind control.

Of course, Muse is sucking up to them as hard as they can. I can't imagine Johnny Rotten playing at the Grammys.
Old 02-15-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone interested, Best Buy has both of Esperanza Spalding's albums for 9.99. Both are backordered, but may be availible for in store pick up
Old 02-15-11, 03:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Speaking of faux subversion: I did think it was hilarious that Muse performed a song about revolution and sticking it to the Man at the Grammys. Listen up, folks, you are the Man. You are fat cats. You are in the business of mind control.
This. For a second I wondered whether Roger Waters was going to burst through the autocratic looking buildings. But of course hypocrisy and music are as old as the hills.
Old 02-15-11, 08:46 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
I have to agree with another poster. To suggest that Arcade Fire is some unknown band that somehow won the big prize is a complete joke. The media promoted the heck out of The Suburbs and fan buzz for the album was large to put it mildly - not to mention it went #1. However if you think the album is "great" you need greatness lessons. It's not even Arcade Fire's best album and I don't personally know any Arcade Fire fan that thinks it is. Moreover, 20 years from now when they come out with the top 1000 albums of all-time, The Suburbs won't be on it. A good album? No doubt.
The Suburbs is better than Funeral. Many AF fans think so.

And to many fans of popular music, Arcade Fire is still unknown, which is fine by me.

Last edited by Throwing Copper; 02-16-11 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'd probably put The Suburbs ahead of Funeral. I think it's a more cohesive and consistent album. I skip around on Funeral, but I'll often listen to The Suburbs straight through.
Old 02-16-11, 12:14 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Yeah, I'd probably put The Suburbs ahead of Funeral. I think it's a more cohesive and consistent album. I skip around on Funeral, but I'll often listen to The Suburbs straight through.
Yep. The only song I don't care for too much is Month of May. It kind of seems like it should've been left as a b-side to a single.
Old 02-16-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny you mention Month Of May, because while I like the song I think it's the only one that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. Not a bad song, but definitely my least favorite from the album.
Old 02-20-11, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arcade Fire winning = suck!
Old 02-20-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy28
Arcade Fire winning = suck!
Okay, thanks for your deep insight. Sorry Lady Gaga didn't win, but cheer up : Her new album will be eligible to win next year!
Old 02-20-11, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, thanks for your deep insight. Sorry Lady Gaga didn't win, but cheer up : Her new album will be eligible to win next year!

Lady Gaga... she sucks also-