DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   2010 Grammy Nominees Announced (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/582891-2010-grammy-nominees-announced.html)

cungar 02-14-11 10:55 AM

Re: 2010 Grammy Nominees Announced

Definitely waaaayyy hotter than Justin Bieber

http://www.insidelux.com/wp-content/...a_spalding.jpg

Nick Danger 02-14-11 11:21 AM

She looks like a teenage girl. No teenage girl is going to think she's hotter than Justin.

cungar 02-14-11 11:27 AM

She's 26

kstublen 02-14-11 11:29 AM

I still maintain she shouldn't have won the award. Not that I like Justin Bieber, but at least he actually is a new artist. If Spalding hadn't won though, I doubt they'd have given it to Bieber. Florence + The Machine probably would've won over the rest of 'em.

RichC2 02-14-11 01:23 PM

Bieber was at the bottom of the list I'm pretty sure, sort of a courtesy nomination.

2nd place would have likely been a race between Florence and Mumford & Sons

Then Drake.

Then maybe Bieber.

Josh-da-man 02-14-11 01:57 PM

I am sort of impressed that the Biebertards know what wikipedia is.

I would expected little more than a massive meltdown on facebook and twitter.

cdollaz 02-14-11 02:05 PM

I have no idea who Esperanza Spalding is, but I'm glad she won for 2 reasons:

1. The Bieber fans going apeshit is hilarious. They wouldn't know good music if it fucked them up the ass.

2. It means Florence and the Machine didn't win.

ctyankee 02-14-11 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 10637484)
Favorite performance tonight so far has been the Bruno Mars/Janelle Monae/B.O.B team up. Great stuff.

Agreed. Janelle's "Cold War" was a show-stopper. It reminded me that I'd love to see her get a chance at a James Bond song.

Best New Artist is a joke. No dog in the fight, but selecting a woman that already is three albums deep into her career is nonsense.

Mondo Kane 02-14-11 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 10638158)
Janelle's "Cold War" was a show-stopper. It reminded me that I'd love to see her get a chance at a James Bond song.

I couldn't help but to check out her doing "Let's Go Crazy" (On BET) online afterwards. She needs to release a DVD ASAP! Whether it's a concert film or some Archandroid movie....Anything!

covenant 02-14-11 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 10638155)
2. It means Florence and the Machine didn't win.

this

Bob_Bobbson 02-14-11 06:37 PM

It appears that last night's Album of the year win for Arcade Fire has a lot of people talking...mostly to find out who they are. :lol:

http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

It's funny that a lot of people seem to think the band was named 'The Suburbs' and their album was named 'Arcade Fire'.

ctyankee 02-14-11 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson (Post 10638538)
It's funny that a lot of people seem to think the band was named 'The Suburbs' and their album was named 'Arcade Fire'.

Probably because The Suburbs is a better name for a group than Arcade Fire.

david12 02-14-11 09:56 PM

I said last night that the worst thing about Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year was how difficult it was going to be to justify it to everyone whose never heard of them. I guess I was right! The Suburbs is a great album. It's an actual album too, with a theme and everything! I'm someone whose always kinda detested the Grammys because they never seem to have their finger on the pulse of anything other than popular radio music (the televised awards at least). So to see a great and fiercely independent band like the Arcade Fire take home the top prize was wonderful.

Having said that, I wasn't to thrilled with their performance of Month of May...mainly because of all the strobes. But to win and say 'we're playing more music' was a thrilling moment for music television. I mean, not many other artists at the Grammys, with all their set pieces and staged antics, could just pick up and play another song?

kstublen 02-14-11 10:03 PM

I couldn't watch their performance of Month Of May; I listened to it, but the strobes were just too much. I did think it was pretty awesome that after winning they were just like, screw it, we're gonna play another song.

But yeah, I wanted Eminem to win because I think he was owed Album of the Year; not a legitimate reason, but at least I can admit my bias. And while Recovery was a great album, The Suburbs was definitely the best album of the year, so it did deserve the win and it's nice to see the Academy recognize it. Still, it's funny they lost Best Alternative Album, but won Album of the Year, lol.

Decker 02-14-11 11:21 PM

Stunning that Arcade Fire won. That's who I would have picked, but certainly Emenem deserved it as well. I was expecting Lady Antebellum to get it as they were cleaning up and it looked like the Country branch was taking over again.

I'm really delighted with the result and hope that Grammy can do right next year as well (i.e. Kanye West, who should probably win no matter what gets released in 2011).

Decker 02-15-11 12:10 AM

BTW I haven't yet read this anywhere and I could be wrong about it, but I'm pretty sure this was Paul McCartney's first solo (or even first non-Beatles) Grammy ever last night with a win for Best Rock Solo Vocal Performance for some live version of Helter Skelter.

Traxan 02-15-11 12:14 AM

Two things on my mind, which is all I care about the Grammys.

1) Aretha looked excellent. Pancreatic cancer my ass. She had gastric bypass surgery.

2) That new Gaga song is a blatant rip of Madonna's 'Express Yourself.'

atlantamoi 02-15-11 01:54 AM

I didn't watch the Grammy's and don't pay too much attention to Billboard's charts, but Arcade Fire did have a number one album last summer. It's not like they are that subversive. I love the Twitter comments.

ctyankee 02-15-11 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by david12 (Post 10638887)
I said last night that the worst thing about Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year was how difficult it was going to be to justify it to everyone whose never heard of them. I guess I was right! The Suburbs is a great album. It's an actual album too, with a theme and everything! I'm someone whose always kinda detested the Grammys because they never seem to have their finger on the pulse of anything other than popular radio music (the televised awards at least). So to see a great and fiercely independent band like the Arcade Fire take home the top prize was wonderful.

I have to agree with another poster. To suggest that Arcade Fire is some unknown band that somehow won the big prize is a complete joke. The media promoted the heck out of The Suburbs and fan buzz for the album was large to put it mildly - not to mention it went #1. However if you think the album is "great" you need greatness lessons. It's not even Arcade Fire's best album and I don't personally know any Arcade Fire fan that thinks it is. Moreover, 20 years from now when they come out with the top 1000 albums of all-time, The Suburbs won't be on it. A good album? No doubt.

Decker 02-15-11 09:30 AM

Settle down, Francis. Nobody called Arcade Fire an unknown band. But the fact that an Alternative / Rock band won the top award, especially without cleaning up (or winning anything else, actually) is quite a stunner. Go ahead and check the previous Album of the Year winners, there's country, folk, R&B and pop. It's hard to find many true Rock albums on the list, except for U2's two wins. So it was a pleasant surprise for some of us. It doesn't mean I think the album is an all-time great.

ctyankee 02-15-11 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10639375)
Settle down, Francis. Nobody called Arcade Fire an unknown band.

Originally Posted by David12
I said last night that the worst thing about Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year was how difficult it was going to be to justify it to everyone whose never heard of them. I guess I was right! The Suburbs is a great album.

Wake up, Sport ... yeah they have called them an unknown band, as much as any band up for Album of the Year could be. Others have commented that people don't even know their correct name let alone their music. So, how about paying attention ... m'kay Sport?

Liver&Onions 02-15-11 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by david12 (Post 10638887)
Having said that, I wasn't to thrilled with their performance of Month of May..

I was thrilled with them playing Month of May - it's not one of the singles that gets played on the radio, and is quite different than pretty much any other AF song. I looked at it like a nice "Screw you, we play what we want." while others were playing their hits, or hyping a new track.

But yeah the strobes were overkill.

cungar 02-15-11 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 10639286)
However if you think the album is "great" you need greatness lessons. It's not even Arcade Fire's best album and I don't personally know any Arcade Fire fan that thinks it is.

Ah yes, the opinion police are out again. Think as I do or you're wrong.

Nick Danger 02-15-11 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi (Post 10639152)
I didn't watch the Grammy's and don't pay too much attention to Billboard's charts, but Arcade Fire did have a number one album last summer. It's not like they are that subversive. I love the Twitter comments.

Speaking of faux subversion: I did think it was hilarious that Muse performed a song about revolution and sticking it to the Man at the Grammys. Listen up, folks, you are the Man. You are fat cats. You are in the business of mind control.

Of course, Muse is sucking up to them as hard as they can. I can't imagine Johnny Rotten playing at the Grammys.

Rypro 525 02-15-11 02:18 PM

For anyone interested, Best Buy has both of Esperanza Spalding's albums for 9.99. Both are backordered, but may be availible for in store pick up

ctyankee 02-15-11 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 10639698)
Speaking of faux subversion: I did think it was hilarious that Muse performed a song about revolution and sticking it to the Man at the Grammys. Listen up, folks, you are the Man. You are fat cats. You are in the business of mind control.

This. For a second I wondered whether Roger Waters was going to burst through the autocratic looking buildings. But of course hypocrisy and music are as old as the hills.

Throwing Copper 02-15-11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 10639286)
I have to agree with another poster. To suggest that Arcade Fire is some unknown band that somehow won the big prize is a complete joke. The media promoted the heck out of The Suburbs and fan buzz for the album was large to put it mildly - not to mention it went #1. However if you think the album is "great" you need greatness lessons. It's not even Arcade Fire's best album and I don't personally know any Arcade Fire fan that thinks it is. Moreover, 20 years from now when they come out with the top 1000 albums of all-time, The Suburbs won't be on it. A good album? No doubt.

The Suburbs is better than Funeral. Many AF fans think so.

And to many fans of popular music, Arcade Fire is still unknown, which is fine by me.

kstublen 02-15-11 08:52 PM

Yeah, I'd probably put The Suburbs ahead of Funeral. I think it's a more cohesive and consistent album. I skip around on Funeral, but I'll often listen to The Suburbs straight through.

Throwing Copper 02-16-11 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 10640314)
Yeah, I'd probably put The Suburbs ahead of Funeral. I think it's a more cohesive and consistent album. I skip around on Funeral, but I'll often listen to The Suburbs straight through.

Yep. The only song I don't care for too much is Month of May. It kind of seems like it should've been left as a b-side to a single.

kstublen 02-16-11 12:22 PM

Funny you mention Month Of May, because while I like the song I think it's the only one that doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. Not a bad song, but definitely my least favorite from the album.

tommy28 02-20-11 06:35 AM

Arcade Fire winning = suck!

Decker 02-20-11 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28 (Post 10647039)
Arcade Fire winning = suck!

Okay, thanks for your deep insight. Sorry Lady Gaga didn't win, but cheer up : Her new album will be eligible to win next year!

tommy28 02-20-11 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10647470)
Okay, thanks for your deep insight. Sorry Lady Gaga didn't win, but cheer up : Her new album will be eligible to win next year!

Lady Gaga... she sucks also-