Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album By Album: Genesis

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album By Album: Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Album By Album: Genesis

I listened to this maybe twice and sold it at me local record trader. Awful stuff. Even the longer songs sound like Phil Collins solo rejects.
Old 03-08-11, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a horrible way to go. After Invisible Touch it seems like the band had mastered the art of pop, but here they come to prove every bad thing everyone ever said about them. The opening two songs, "No Son of Mine" and "Jesus He Knows Me" are the only bright spots. "No Son of Mine" is a dramatic telling of a family split, while "Jesus He Knows Me" is a fun indictment of TV preachers who suck money from their followers and are hypocrites in general. "I Can't Dance" has a great guitar riff, but the lyrics are utterly banal.

The rest of the album is unlistenable drivel. "Driving The Last Spike" is torturous, "Hold On My Heart" gives milquetoast a bad name, and even the artwork feels safe and ineffectual. This was a band with nothing left to say, and no teeth left to bare. Should have called it quits with Invisible Touch.
Old 03-08-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I like Jesus He Knows Me, Tell Me Why, and Fading Lights the best from this one.
Old 03-08-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once read a review that simply said :"This is the reason cut-out bins were invented"
Old 03-08-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A not-too-bad release from the band, but unfortunate that they couldn't have gone out on a higher note. There is nothing really on here that makes me want to skip by any songs, but on the same hand, nothing too memorable either. Collins and Rutherford's solo careers were moving along nicely at this point in time, so this release could have just been done as a favor to keep Tony busy.

Seeing as I have no use for 'Calling All Stations', I'll drop out here. Thanks again OP for starting this great thread...enjoyed it immensely!
Old 03-09-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the first Genesis album that I purchased on CD. I'm not sure I ever loved it, but it has not held up well over the years. I think the first five songs are the best on the album, and I really like "No Son of Mine" and "Driving the Last Spike". I liked "Hold On My Heart" when it was released, but now I can't stand it.

I think that with this album they were trying to get away from the pop of Invisible Touch and return to some lengthier pieces more reminiscent of their past recordings. What they put out was a spectacularly average album.

As others have commented, I think they should have called it a day with Invisible Touch.

(I am going to skip "The Way We Walk: The Longs and the Shorts" unless someone objects. I will, however, do a post about "Calling All Stations" since I like the album and would like to see others' comments on it.)
Old 03-09-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis
. I will, however, do a post about "Calling All Stations" since I like the album and would like to see others' comments on it.)
Let's hope you can find the 3 or 4 other people that actually listened to it.
Old 03-09-11, 01:23 PM
Banned by request

I like The Way We Walk. The live versions of the We Can't Dance tracks are uniformly better than the studio versions.

I also liked Calling All Stations for what it was. But it wasn't really Genesis.
Old 03-09-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvis
a spectacularly average album.
This sums it up well for me. For the last 10 years (prior to this album's release, that is), anything by Genesis or Phil Collins was an automatic buy for me. And despite the occasional track I didn't like, there was always enough stuff that grabbed me to keep me a big fan. But after I listened to "We Can't Dance" for the first time, I was left with a feeling of A couple years later I still bought Phil's next solo album, "Both Sides". And it was worse ... much worse. And they pretty much lost me, at least as far as new releases were concerned.

Like a lot of you, I never bothered with "Calling All Stations". I've heard some of the songs, and it doesn't do anything for me. But thanks Alvis, for doing this thread. It's been fun going though the entire discography. If anything, it shows these guys deserve a lot more musical respect than they are typically credited with. It was a great 20+ year run.
Old 03-09-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I also liked Calling All Stations for what it was. But it wasn't really Genesis.
That's like saying that Burnette & Bramlett in place of Buckingham & Nicks isn't Fleetwood Mac. Of course it's the same band. Just because a band changes it's members or sound doesn't necessitate a name change.
Old 03-09-11, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by reverie
That's like saying that Burnette & Bramlett in place of Buckingham & Nicks isn't Fleetwood Mac. Of course it's the same band. Just because a band changes it's members or sound doesn't necessitate a name change.
I've never actually heard anything from the "Time" album or that era.

How many members can a band lose before it ceases to have the artistic (as opposed to legal) right to use the name it started out with?

That could be a whole other thread.
Old 03-09-11, 08:39 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, I just feel like Rutherford and Banks don't Genesis make.

It's still an improvement over We Can't Dance, though.
Old 03-14-11, 11:14 AM

Calling All Stations

Released September 1, 1997

1. Calling All Stations
2. Congo
3. Shipwrecked
4. Alien Afternoon
5. Not About Us
6. If That's What You Need
7. The Dividing Line
8. Uncertain Weather
9. Small Talk
10. There Must Be Some Other Way
11. One Man's Fool

B Sides
(I haven't been listing B Sides, but decided to in this case since CAS had 8!)

1. Papa He Said
2. Banjo Man
3. Phret
4. 7/8
5. Anything Now
6. Sign Your Life Away
7. Run Out of Time
8. Nowhere Else to Run

Personnel

*Tony Banks
*Mike Rutherford
*Ray Wilson

Additional Musicians
*Nir Zidkyahu – drums on tracks 1-3, 4 (second half), 5, 7, 10-11
*Nick D'Virgilio – drums on tracks 4 (first half), 6, 8-9

Production

Nick Davis, Tony Banks, and Mike Rutherford

Calling All Stations, (also known as ...Calling All Stations...) is the 15th and currently last studio album by rock band Genesis.

More following the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Calling All Stations was recorded following Phil Collins' departure from the band in 1996, and was released in 1997. The album was an attempt by bandmates Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks to continue the Genesis name while returning, to a certain degree, to Genesis' roots as an album-oriented band.

Vocalist Ray Wilson, who had fronted a short-lived but popular grunge-influenced outfit called Stiltskin, was brought on board after a lengthy auditioning period. Wilson's darker vocals were more reminiscent of Peter Gabriel than Collins.

Other candidates had included Paul Carrack from Rutherford's Mike and the Mechanics, Francis Dunnery (ex-It Bites), David Longdon (ex-Louis Philippe band), Alan Barton (ex-Black Lace) and ex-Marillion vocalist—and two-time Banks collaborator—Fish.[33] Kevin Gilbert was offered an audition just before his death in 1996.[34] On the band's criteria in the search for a singer, Banks noted: "We needed someone who fits as many of the things you require as possible—being able to improvise with the kind of music we write and also someone capable of jumping in at the deep end and fronting a band." Wilson was immediately incorporated into the songwriting process, being given "half-a-dozen" songs to work on and ending up with three co-writing credits on the final album.

Wikipedia also had this to say about Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson: Stuermer was approached, but was touring with Collins at the time; Thompson inquired regarding the vacant drum stool, but after he was refused full-band membership, he ended his 19-year association with the band. Eventually, drumming duties were shared between Nir Zidkyahu, an Israeli session drummer who had played with Hidden Persuaders, and Nick D'Virgilio, from the progressive rock band Spock's Beard.[7] The difference in their playing styles was marked; D'Virgilio played softer, more subtle rhythms in comparison to Zidkyahu's bombastic technique.

1997's Calling All Stations sold well in Europe, while the track "Congo" reached #29 in the UK. The album was not as successful in America, where it failed to reach the Billboard Top 50. During 1997 and 1998, Genesis toured across Europe; Banks, Rutherford, and Wilson were joined live by Zidkyahu and the guitarist Anthony Drennan, who previously worked with Paul Brady and The Corrs. However, a planned American tour was cancelled due to the album's poor sales performance. Following the truncation of the Calling All Stations tour, Genesis dismissed Wilson and went on an extended hiatus, although the members remained in regular contact. In an April 2007 interview, Wilson expressed his disgust at how his dismissal was handled, saying "it was like death by silence."[36] He also said he regretted his time spent with the band, feeling uncomfortable as a self-described "working class" man with the wealthier likes of Banks and Rutherford, and also revealed one of Phil Collins's assistants told him Collins "wasn't happy that they had continued".

As a result of the slim North American sales, the American leg of the tour was cancelled. Following the conclusion of the European tour 1998, Banks and Rutherford put Genesis on an extended hiatus, leaving Calling All Stations as the band's last studio release. Ray Wilson was keen to continue and has continued to include all era Genesis songs on his solo tour, including touring a World of Genesis set.

Since the album's release there has been, among some Genesis fans, a belated appreciation for Wilson's contribution to the band's history. There is agreement even among many fans who dislike this album that Wilson was a strong vocalist. Bootleg recordings of the 1998 European tour have been sought-after downloads on peer-to-peer networks, if only for the opportunity to hear Wilson's rendition of older Genesis songs like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," "The Carpet Crawlers," and "Lover's Leap" (the opening section of "Supper's Ready").

The 1998 European tour had the songs from the Phil Collins era transposed to a lower key to accommodate to Ray Wilson's limited vocal range, something Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford had to work out during the rehearsals. Coincidentally, in the 2007 reunion tour this was done again, but with Phil Collins on vocals.

Of the three singles excerpted from the album, only "Congo" met with a limited measure of success.

Music videos were made for "Congo", "Shipwrecked" and "Not About Us." "Congo" was a favourite among MTV UK, however, it had been played on America's MTV only once.

The music videos "Congo" and "Shipwrecked" featured Wilson and also Rutherford, Banks and Zidkyahu playing their respective instruments. "Not About Us," however featured just Banks, Rutherford and Wilson. Unlike "Congo" and "Shipwrecked", Banks and Rutherford were without the instruments.

Calling All Stations, which reached #2 in the UK where it remained in the charts for just 7 weeks. It reached #54 in the US in a brief chart stay. From a recent online interview, Calling All Stations has sold approximately 3 million copies worldwide to date (between 1997–2008).
Old 03-14-11, 03:46 PM

I'll discuss whether this should be considered a Genesis album near the end.

I remember seeing this CD on the rack when it came out and wondering who they had gotten to sing for them since I knew Phil Collins had left the band. But other than that, I didn't think about it. Around 1999 or so I picked up 'Turn It On Again: The Hits' at a used CD store. It contained one track from this album, "Congo". I thought it was ok, but nothing special.

Not too long after that, during the Napster craze, I downloaded a Genesis boot called "A New Beginning". It was the live promo the band had done in Berlin and at Cape Canveral. It contained songs from CAS, and Gabriel and Collins era songs.

It was my first exposure to most of the CAS tracks (except Congo) and to the Gabriel tracks. I enjoyed the sound of Wilson's voice on the older material and I enjoyed the new songs. I eventually picked up Calling All Stations and finally listened to it in its entirety.

After a few lessons, the album really began to grow on me. I consider it to be much better than "We Can't Dance".

Tracks I enjoy are Calling All Stations, Congo, Not About Us, The Dividing Line and There Must Be Some Other Way.

Should they have called themselves Genesis with this album? Probably not, in my opinion.
Old 03-14-11, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

I also think this is better than We Can't Dance (and ...And Then There Were Three, for that matter), but it's still weak for Genesis. Had they continued and allowed Wilson to be a full writing partner in the band, that could have led to some interesting material. Wilson has said in retrospect it would have been better for him not to join the band.
Old 03-14-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should have called it ReGenesis.
Old 03-14-11, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Should have called it ReGenesis.
http://www.regenesis-music.com/
Old 03-15-11, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I also think this is better than We Can't Dance (and ...And Then There Were Three, for that matter), but it's still weak for Genesis. Had they continued and allowed Wilson to be a full writing partner in the band, that could have led to some interesting material. Wilson has said in retrospect it would have been better for him not to join the band.
I forget where I read this, but Wilson said he was actually contracted to do two albums. So he could have sued them. However, he said he didn't want, "Sued Genesis" on his resume'.
Old 03-15-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I knew of Phil's departure, and the thought never crossed my mind when this came out (or since) that it shouldn't be "Genesis". Bands change members all the time, including vocalists. But anyway, I'm sure I picked this up on release day, and I've been a fan of it ever since. I thought it was petty of Banks to pull the plug as he did without giving Ray much of a chance at all. I'd have been perfectly fine for the group to keep recording this way. I am confused though as to why they snubbed Chester.
Old 03-15-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Bands change members all the time, including vocalists.
But it's an uphill struggle for acceptance, since the singer is so readily identified as the face of the band. Especially when the band is already at a superstar level. Sure, some groups pulled it off - Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, AC/DC. But even in those cases, none of them had as much history with the replaced lead singers as Genesis had with Phil Collins.

I am confused though as to why they snubbed Chester.
I agree ... seems a really crappy way to treat a long-time musical collaborator. I guess it came down to money - you'd pay a session musician less than a full-time band member. But still. Hearing how Tony and Mike treated Chester and Ray, they don't come across as very nice guys.
Old 03-15-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This is a nice thread and it is a shame that it abruptly ended. I haven't seen some of the names in here on the board for some time now. Bumping this up for current discussion of Genesis, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins.