Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Corey Hart a underrated talent?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Corey Hart a underrated talent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Corey Hart a underrated talent?

^ I again ask...what do you know of Corey Hart other than he was a good-looking guy that had a few pop hits? Anything?

And you really think that the '70s was the worst decade for music? Have you been around for the last 20 years?
Old 11-05-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
^ I again ask...what do you know of Corey Hart other than he was a good-looking guy that had a few pop hits? Anything?

And you really think that the '70s was the worst decade for music? Have you been around for the last 20 years?
Try 30 years. And Corey Hart is an 80's artist anyway.
Old 11-05-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Yeah, but C.W. McCall wasn't. And I was referring to both the '90s and the '00s as being shitty music decades.
Old 11-05-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Yeah, but C.W. McCall wasn't. And I was referring to both the '90s and the '00s as being shitty music decades.
I'll add the 80s.
Old 11-05-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Well, I'm glad to see there are a few others who like his music in addition to me. I'm not going to lose sleep if some people have false preconceptions (i.e. only teen girls could like his music; he's the Bieber of his day; etc.) or legitimately don't like his music (eg. it's too soft).
Old 11-05-10, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my copy of "Young Man Running." I still think it's a good album! I like "Spot You in a Coalmine," "In Your Soul" (not as much as other songs), "Don't Take Me to the Racetrack," "Chase the Sun," "Chippin' Away" (his country-ish song). Yep, I actually think that album is really underrated.
Old 11-05-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 861 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Fun fact: Because of his massive popularity at the time, he was originally asked to play Marty in Back to the Future, but he declined.
I saw this "fact" on Wikipedia. Has this been confirmed by anyone associated with the actual film? Because I find it hard to believe. Just how popular was Corey Hart in the US? I know Sunglasses got a decent amount of radio play in the early 80's, but was Corey Hart a big enough household name to build a film around?
Old 11-05-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I saw this "fact" on Wikipedia. Has this been confirmed by anyone associated with the actual film? Because I find it hard to believe. Just how popular was Corey Hart in the US? I know Sunglasses got a decent amount of radio play in the early 80's, but was Corey Hart a big enough household name to build a film around?
Here's what IMDb has on the matter. I guess we can amend it to he was "considered" for the role rather than "offered" it.
Originally Posted by Laertes
I still have my copy of "Young Man Running." I still think it's a good album! I like "Spot You in a Coalmine," "In Your Soul" (not as much as other songs), "Don't Take Me to the Racetrack," "Chase the Sun," "Chippin' Away" (his country-ish song). Yep, I actually think that album is really underrated.
I consider that one of his middle-of-the-road albums, but I agree with most of your song selections (Though I would replace "Don't Take Me to the Racetrack" with "The Truth Will Set You Free"). "Chippin' Away" is a different sort of song for him, and I like it as well.
Old 11-05-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Here's what IMDb has on the matter. I guess we can amend it to he was "considered" for the role rather than "offered" it.
Fact. Corey Hart is the inspiration for "The World's Most Interesting Man" in the Dos Equis commercials.
Old 11-06-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard as much of his music as I have of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Ricky Martin. I don't have to hear every song he's ever done to judge him.

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Dresden Dolls, Tori Amos ...
Old 11-07-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I've heard as much of his music as I have of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Ricky Martin. I don't have to hear every song he's ever done to judge him.
As suspected, you compare him to three singers, rather than to singer-songwriter-producer-musicians, as you should. But you're right. You're free to use whatever limited criteria you want for judgment. Just as I'm free to consider your judgment uninformed.
Old 11-08-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's right, he wrote almost all of his stuff as well, and at an early age as you pointed out. I read that he started in the biz at 13, but didn't release his first album until the ripe old age of 20.
Old 11-08-10, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll admit to not knowing anything beyond those two bigs hits which I never cared for. The other posted songs on this thread make me even less interested in hearing more.
Old 11-08-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it strange that anyone would feel the need to stand up for Corey Hart. Good luck in changing the entire world's perception of him, because that is one uphill battle that I'd never take on!
Old 11-08-10, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I find it strange that anyone would feel the need to stand up for Corey Hart. Good luck in changing the entire world's perception of him, because that is one uphill battle that I'd never take on!
Meh. Like I said earlier, I like that one album. I think there are probably many more artists than I realize who have more than one layer to their music or art or whatever. Some I just can't be bothered spending time to look past the big hit (a-ha, for instance, who seem to have a following at dvdtalk). I wouldn't dismiss them and maybe if I delved, I would find something worthwhile or interesting or whatever, but I just can't be bothered. To each their own.

I found the album I like because at the time (1988? 1987?), I was a kid, and I saw a good review in of it in some respected music magazine. It may be dated, but I still stand by that album is being good.
Old 11-08-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oooooooooooh, he's a singer-songwriter! That changes everything. Because no singer-songwriter has ever penned vapid pop songs.
Old 11-08-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'll admit to not knowing anything beyond those two bigs hits which I never cared for. The other posted songs on this thread make me even less interested in hearing more.

Same for me.
Old 11-08-10, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If I don't like an artist's hits, why would I seek out their deep cuts?
Old 11-08-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
If I don't like an artist's hits, why would I seek out their deep cuts?
In order to give an educated opinion when answering a question like, "Is _____ an underrated talent?" Or, you can just boldly declare, "No", without any actual basis to back it up. That's usually how 12 year-olds argue.
Old 11-08-10, 11:38 AM

Is not!
Old 11-08-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

*smack*
Old 11-08-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,790 Likes on 1,920 Posts

In order to give an educated opinion when answering a question like, "Is _____ an underrated talent?" Or, you can just boldly declare, "No", without any actual basis to back it up. That's usually how 12 year-olds argue.
Which sounds good in theory, but if I hear an artist's song and don't like it, I'm not going to seek out more "just in case."
Old 11-08-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Personally, I couldn't care less about changing people's opinions of his music or anyone else's. I like it, many people like it, many people don't like it. So what? It's called having different tastes, and that's great. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things?
Old 11-08-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Which sounds good in theory, but if I hear an artist's song and don't like it, I'm not going to seek out more "just in case."
Very well. I'm sure we all do the same thing. But I certainly wouldn't go into a "Was Thelonious Monk overrated?" thread and make a bold declarative one way or the other because I am almost completely unfamiliar with his work.
Old 11-08-10, 08:07 PM

Was Thelonious Monk overrated?
No.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.