Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

20 Years of Pearl Jam

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

20 Years of Pearl Jam

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 Years of Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam was born 20 years ago today at the Off Ramp Cafe in Seattle, Washington.

Happy 20th Birthday to my favorite band of all time!

In honor of this event, Sirius/XM is dedicating a channel to all things Pearl Jam. It will have live shows, rare songs and much more.

http://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-radio-comes-siriusxm
Pearl Jam Radio comes to Sirius/XM

Pearl Jam and SIRIUS XM Radio have announced today that it will introduce Pearl Jam Radio, a commercial-free music channel devoted to the music of Pearl Jam on Friday, October 22, the 20th anniversary of the band's first public performance.

Pearl Jam Radio will launch with a special airing of the band's 10th anniversary concert recorded in Las Vegas on October 22, 2000. The concert will be heard in its entirety on Friday, October 22 at 6:00 pm ET. The first day of Pearl Jam Radio on SIRIUS XM will also feature rarely heard highlights from the band's very first concert performance on October 22, 1990 at Off Ramp Cafe in Seattle, Washington.

In addition to these launch day specials, Pearl Jam Radio will feature archival concerts from throughout the band's celebrated 20-year career, rarities, unreleased material from the band's personal music library and music from the band's side projects, including solo and pre-Pearl Jam music.

Additionally, Pearl Jam Radio will offer listeners a unique, interactive experience with the weekly show The All Encompassing Trip, a fan roundtable hosted by Tim Bierman, Manager of Ten Club, Pearl Jam's official fan club, and long-time Pearl Jam enthusiast and radio veteran Rob Bleetstein. Pearl Jam fans will be invited to participate in conversations on a different theme each week pertaining to the music, news and touring world of Pearl Jam.

"Pearl Jam is unique in the history of the American music scene and has released some of the most influential music of the past two decades," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SIRIUS XM Radio. "From their love of vinyl to their respect for their fans to their dedication to social causes, the band's continuing legacy is something we're thrilled to celebrate with Pearl Jam Radio."

Pearl Jam Radio will be available on SIRIUS channel 17 and XM channel 39; it will also be available on SIRIUS Internet Radio, XM Radio Online and through the SIRIUS XM App for the Apple iPhone, iPod touch and several BlackBerry and Android-powered smartphone devices.

Use this thread to talk about all things Pearl Jam!
Old 10-22-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 20 Years of Pearl Jam

I imagine the audio they will be broadcasting from 10/22/90 is just taken from the video bootleg that has been circulating forever now (and which all previous audio versions are taken from)....I seriously doubt they were actually taping off of the board since the very beginning....hell, look at the "official" CD of 12/31/92 for proof of that....

Regardless, looking forward to eventually hearing tapes from this weekend's Bridge Benefit (as they will now act as the de facto "20th anniversary" shows)....
Old 10-22-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably my 2nd favorite band of all-time to The Beatles.

Happy 20th anniversary PJ
Old 10-23-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillowhead

In honor of this event, Sirius/XM is dedicating a channel to all things Pearl Jam. It will have live shows, rare songs and much more.
This is why I've never gotten Sirius/XM. I've got a standalone cd recorder which can record anything. It would take over my life. I would be chained to the thing scheduling my life around the Sirius/XM schedule.

Didn't they tour with Neil Young once? If so, wonder if they'll play any of that stuff.
Old 10-23-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,161 Likes on 907 Posts

I've really grown to love these guys, so much so I'd put them in my top 5 favorite bands of all time. Happy 20th Pearl Jam!!
Old 10-23-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the greatest American rock band of all time, in my opinion
Old 10-23-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Top five (or maybe two or three) for me, they've aged extremely well as a band I think. Ashamed to say I haven't seen em in concert... hopefully they'll do another tour in a few yrs. Outside of a few surprise appearances they don't really do any extra shows in Seattle... wish they would.
Old 10-23-10, 02:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I'll be the sole voice of dissent. They're not even my favorite grunge band (that would be Alice In Chains), and certainly not one of the best American bands of all time (imo). I like their output through Vitalogy, but that's it. "Alive" is probably their best song.

Still, good for them for sticking around this long. I did see them in concert a few years ago, but more because Sonic Youth was opening than from any desire to see them. A lot of the songs sounded the same to my ears.
Old 10-23-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 558 Posts

I'll just leave it at probably the only person around here who knows my feelings on this is WMAangel....
Old 10-23-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought their latest album was their best since Yield. Amongst The Waves may be my favorite song of theirs. Ten hasn't aged so well for me.
Old 10-24-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in the best band of all time camp... even though I listen to more Dylan, Springsteen, and tons of other bands than I do Pearl Jam these days, their live shows just blow everyone else out of the water.

I've been to 31 PJ shows, which I know isn't a lot compared to most die hard fans, but I didn't really start until 2003.
Old 10-24-10, 01:49 PM
Banned by request

31 PJ shows?! Jesus, I thought it was impressive I've seen Sonic Youth eight times.
Old 10-24-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JonTurner
I've been to 31 PJ shows, which I know isn't a lot compared to most die hard fans, but I didn't really start until 2003.
Coming from this die hard fan, I'd still say that counts as a lot.
I've seen them 18 times (and Ed solo twice), and that is going all the way back to 1994....I have just never had the income/time off from work/lack of family obligations to follow them along on a whole tour or something....now, if I ever win the lottery, I'm sure my number will quickly double!
Old 10-24-10, 04:58 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

IMO the best freshman album EVER. Unfortunately, everything since has been ... not good.
Old 10-24-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I guess I'll be the sole voice of dissent. They're not even my favorite grunge band (that would be Alice In Chains)
big

My problem with Pearl Jam is I can't seem to get past Ten. I have listened to all of their output since it but when I try listening to anything else by them, I just sit there wishing I was listening to Ten. Their other stuff is okay but just pales in comparison to Ten.

My only explanation is that Ten, along with Nevermind, define my freshman year in college and those two albums are very important in my life. But I don't feel the same way when listening to Nirvana's catalog. I love everything by them. I just can't get into any other PJ stuff for some reason.
Old 10-24-10, 07:52 PM

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,156 Posts

I always dug how Pearl Jam-friendly this board is. They have been my favorite band since I was twelve and I honestly don't think anything will ever change that. Rock on, Pearl Jam, rock on.
Old 10-25-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
big

My problem with Pearl Jam is I can't seem to get past Ten. I have listened to all of their output since it but when I try listening to anything else by them, I just sit there wishing I was listening to Ten. Their other stuff is okay but just pales in comparison to Ten.

I used to filll this way but then I go back and relisten or hear a song from a later album and realize how great these guys really are. While Ten might be one of those complete, near perfect, best ever record, I have enjoyed all of their studio releases, even Eddie's solo stuff. I don't take away from them because Ten is such a great, complete album; it is not like The Cure and Disntegration, where everything after a near perfect album has been a huge drop in quality.
Old 10-25-10, 01:56 PM
Banned by request

Um, Wish is awesome and I'd listen to that over any Pearl Jam record.
Old 10-25-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Um, Wish is awesome and I'd listen to that over any Pearl Jam record.
I am a Cure head and you will find me listening to them over PJ most of the time, my iPod's shuffle option even resembles this as well. And I was not turning this into a PJ vs. anyone else thread.

Having said that:
Wish vs Disintegration or anything pre-Disintegration is so far from awesome, and definately shows a huge drop off of quality from Bob and the boys. The 2 songs I wish were cut from Disentegration (and the 2 that keep it from being the most absolute perfect album of all time) are the songs that sound like they came off of Wish.
Old 10-25-10, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Well, this is obviously off-topic, so I won't keep going to say except I wholeheartedly disagree.
Old 10-25-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this thread was going to be about my first time masturbating.
Old 10-25-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,161 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
IMO the best freshman album EVER. Unfortunately, everything since has been ... not good.
Ten is great but you really can't find anything after that you like? They've had plenty of good stuff after it. Hell I'd even say the last two albums they've put out have been some of their strongest. Vs. was a very good follow up album as well.
Old 10-25-10, 04:51 PM
Banned by request

Vitalogy man, it's all about Vitalogy. Spin The Black Circle especially.
Old 10-25-10, 10:31 PM

Another big PJ fan here...easily in my top ten.

I like Ten (loved the redux)...but Vs. and No Code are probably my most listened to albums from this fantastic band. And I think Backspacer is their best album in a long...long time. I'm glad they are still rocking. I definitely listen to more Beatles (my two year-old is borderline obsessed) and Indie stuff now...but PJ will always be close to my heart.
Old 10-25-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

I guess I'll be the sole voice of dissent. They're not even my favorite grunge band (that would be Alice In Chains), and certainly not one of the best American bands of all time (imo). I like their output through Vitalogy, but that's it. "Alive" is probably their best song.

Still, good for them for sticking around this long.
Same here. I'm very pleased they put out their concerts for purchase, I wish more bands would do that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.