Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album: John Lennon

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album by Album: John Lennon

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Album by Album: John Lennon

No, it's not underrated, it is Lennon's worst solo-LP and the only redeeming value is in the live tracks.

The political rants are now so outdated that most people will need to google Angela Davis and John Sinclair to find out who they were.
Old 10-05-10, 03:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even if you don't know who the subjects of the songs are, I think the melodies are still strong.
Old 10-05-10, 04:02 AM
Banned by request

Anyhoo, moving on:

Mind Games (1973)

Tracklist (All songs by John Lennon):
1. Mind Games
2. Tight A$
3. Aisumasen (I'm Sorry)
4. One Day (At A Time)
5. Bring On The Lucie (Freda People)
6. Nutopian International Anthem
7. Intuition
8. Out the Blue
9. Only People
10. I Know (I Know)
11. You Are Here
12. Meat City

Allmusic review:
After the hostile reaction to the politically charged Sometime in New York City, John Lennon moved away from explicit protest songs and returned to introspective songwriting with Mind Games. Lennon didn't leave politics behind — he just tempered his opinions with humor on songs like "Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple)," which happened to undercut the intention of the song. It also indicated the confusion that lies at the heart of the album. Lennon doesn't know which way to go, so he tries everything. There are lovely ballads like "Out of the Blue" and "One Day (At a Time)," forced, ham-fisted rockers like "Meat City" and "Tight A$," sweeping Spectoresque pop on "Mind Games," and many mid-tempo, indistinguishable pop/rockers. While the best numbers are among Lennon's finest, there's only a handful of them, and the remainder of the record is simply pleasant. But compared to Sometime in New York City, as well as the subsequent Walls and Bridges, Mind Games sounded like a return to form.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Ny42Mdg5qo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Ny42Mdg5qo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-05-10 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-05-10, 04:07 AM
Banned by request

Out of all of Lennon's albums, this might be my least favorite. It has none of the anguish of Plastic Ono Band or Walls and Bridges, none of the focused attacks found on Imagine or Sometime In New York City, and the songs themselves are somewhat forgettable. The two best songs on the album, "One Day (At A Time)" and "Out the Blue" are wonderful and touching, but the rest isn't up to snuff. Even good songs like the title track or "Intuition" feel like Lennon treading water.
Old 10-05-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We'll just have to agree to disagree. This is a huge improvement over Sometime in NYC and I rank it in the middle of his solo releases.

My favorite tracks include Mind Games and the Nutopian International Anthem
Old 10-05-10, 03:37 PM
Banned by request

The Nutopian International Anthem, or as many Lennon fans call it, the best song Yoko ever worked on.
Old 10-08-10, 10:24 PM
Banned by request

I don't know if anyone's seen the Google front page today, but it's a John Lennon doodle that has a video you can play set to "Imagine."

Old 10-09-10, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know if anyone's seen the Google front page today, but it's a John Lennon doodle that has a video you can play set to "Imagine."

I noticed that. Very cool.
Old 10-09-10, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

And on YouTube today they've got video tributes to John, including this awesome one:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmrEgcFXLbI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmrEgcFXLbI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
Old 10-15-10, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Walls and Bridges (1974)

Tracklist (All songs by John Lennon except where otherwise noted):
1 Going Down on Love
2 Whatever Gets You Thru the Night
3 Old Dirt Road (Lennon, Nilsson)
4 What You Got
5 Bless You
6 Scared
7 #9 Dream
8 Surprise, Surprise (Sweet Bird of Paradox)
9 Steel and Glass
10 Beef Jerky
11 Nobody Loves You (When You're Down and Out)
12 Ya Ya Dorsey, (Levy, Lewis, Robinson)

Allmusic Review:
Walls and Bridges was recorded during John Lennon's infamous "lost weekend," as he exiled himself in California during a separation from Yoko Ono. Lennon's personal life was scattered, so it isn't surprising that Walls and Bridges is a mess itself, containing equal amounts of brilliance and nonsense. Falling between the two extremes was the bouncy Elton John duet "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night," which was Lennon's first solo number one hit. Its bright, sunny surface was replicated throughout the record, particularly on middling rockers like "What You Got" but also on enjoyable pop songs like "Old Dirt Road." However, the best moments on Walls and Bridges come when Lennon is more open with his emotions, like on "Going Down on Love," "Steel and Glass," and the beautiful, soaring "#9 Dream." Even with such fine moments, the album is decidedly uneven, containing too much mediocre material like "Beef Jerky" and "Ya Ya," which are weighed down by weak melodies and heavy over-production. It wasn't a particularly graceful way to enter retirement.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nDqWtfL4MxQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nDqWtfL4MxQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGFvlnCq-ts?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGFvlnCq-ts?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-15-10, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

I really love Walls and Bridges. Written when John was on the outs with Yoko, it's his most consistent and straightforward set of songs since Imagine. There's real anguish on the album, from "Going Down On Love" to "Nobody Loves You (When You're Down And Out)" but also more hopeful sounds in "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" (an infectious track that became Lennon's first solo number one in the US) and "#9 Dream." Unlike Mind Games, which was loaded with filler, Walls and Bridges' lesser tracks feel like Lennon letting loose and having a good time. The only track I skip on this album is "Ya Ya," which was recorded to fulfill a legal obligation (and would be the eventual basis for the Rock and Roll album). A really underrated gem in his catalog.
Old 10-19-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I consider Walls and Bridges to be his last truly great album. I played it a lot and I even liked the lesser tracks.

I'll agree that Ya Ya is out of place here though, but it is a clue for what is up next.
Old 11-08-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's keep this puppy moving...

Tracklist:
1. Be-Bop-A-Lula
2. Stand By Me
3. Medley: Rip It Up/Ready Teddy
4. You Can't Catch Me
5. Ain't That A Shame
6. Do You Wanna Dance
7. Sweet Little Sixteen
8. Slippin' And Slidin'
9. Peggy Sue
10. Medley: Bring It On Home To Me/Send Me Some Lovin'
11. Bony Moronie
12. Ya Ya
13. Just Because

Allmusic Review:
Although the chaotic sessions that spawned this album have passed into rock & roll legend and the recording's very genesis (as an out-of-court settlement between John Lennon and an aggrieved publisher) has often caused it to be slighted by many of the singer's biographers, Rock 'n' Roll, in fact, stands as a peak in his post-Imagine catalog: an album that catches him with nothing to prove and no need to try. Lennon could, after all, sing old rock & roll numbers with his mouth closed; he spent his entire career relaxing with off-the-cuff blasts through the music with which he grew up, and Rock 'n' Roll emerges the sound of him doing precisely that. Four songs survive from the fractious sessions with producer Phil Spector in late 1973 that ignited the album, and listeners to any of the posthumous compilations that also draw from those archives will know that the best tracks were left on the shelf -- "Be My Baby" and "Angel Baby" among them. But a gorgeous run through Lloyd Price's "Just Because" wraps up the album in fine style, while a trip through "You Can't Catch Me" contrarily captures a playful side that Lennon rarely revealed on vinyl. The remainder of the album was cut a year later with Lennon alone at the helm, and the mood remains buoyant. It might not, on first glance, seem essential to hear him running through nuggets like "Be Bop A Lula," "Peggy Sue," and "Bring It on Home to Me," but, again, Lennon has seldom sounded so gleeful as he does on these numbers, while the absence of the Spector trademark Wall-of-Sound production is scarcely noticeable -- as the object of one of Lennon's own productions, David Peel once pointed out, "John had the Wall of Sound down perfectly himself." Released in an age when both David Bowie and Bryan Ferry had already tracked back to musical times-gone-by (Pin-Ups and These Foolish Things, respectively), Rock 'n' Roll received short shrift from contemporary critics. As time passed, however, it has grown in stature, whereas those other albums have merely held their own. Today, Rock 'n' Roll sounds fresher than the rock & roll that inspired it in the first place. Imagine that.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeWIMYVKbLE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeWIMYVKbLE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85QSekrBOHk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85QSekrBOHk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-09-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually really like this album. As opposed to his other albums where I may have to be in a particular mood to listen to them, I could listen to this every day and not get tired of it. Very underrated IMO
Old 11-10-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great album.

I had a friend in college who played this every time he had a party at his place. Whenever I listen to this now, I can remember the good old days of the late 70s even though the songs are from the 50s.
Old 11-10-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I just always felt there was something a bit forced about this one. I *love* his famous cover of Stand By Me but the rest of it feels rather sterile and I think the Beatles did this stuff better and fiercer on their own early albums.
Old 11-10-10, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Thanks for picking it back up. I'm not really a fan of this one. For me the songs sound too, I don't know, inconsequential. It's hard to put into words exactly why this one doesn't hit me the way it should, but I almost always skip it when listening to Lennon's catalog.