Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst ever version of "Perfect Day"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw that Lou Reed stopped Susan Boyle from singing "Perfect Day" on AGT, I wanted to see if YouTube had any clips of Susan singing it (She did record the song without any issues), and, to my horror, it has been previously butchered before! Hmmm...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OJ7NfJyjMM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6OJ7NfJyjMM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And WTF here??

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXgbN81zNG8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXgbN81zNG8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-12-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Worst ever version of "Perfect Day"

Lou Reed hasn't been relevant in any capacity for 35+ years. Boo-fucking-hoo, Lou.
Old 09-12-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Lou Reed hasn't been relevant in any capacity for 35+ years. Boo-fucking-hoo, Lou.
Haven't heard his New York album?
Old 09-12-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Lou Reed tries too hard. He has talent, but works so hard to be an Important Artist. He needs to stop reading and believing what Rolling Stone says about him.
Old 09-12-10, 10:10 AM

^He probably didn't start to do that until after the Pavarotti duet.

I do love New York, and Set The Twilight Reeling is a really good album as well, so, you can be relevant and entertaining at the same time!
I have to admit I also like Metal Machine Music (Let's see Pavarotti cover that)!

I just don't understand how Duran Duran, Luciano Pavarotti and The Spice Girls plus a thousand others in an overblown media ensemble production number of a song were all okay with Lou Reed (Not to mention he was involved with the last 2), but he draws the line with Susan Boyle.
Old 09-12-10, 11:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Why...?

Per Wikipedia:
In 1997 the track was showcased by the BBC in a lengthy corporate promotion of its diverse music coverage which was broadcast on BBC channels and in cinemas. It featured Lou Reed himself and other major artists in what the Financial Times described as "an astonishing line-up of world class performers".[11] In reference to the licence fee, the film ends with the message "Whatever your musical taste, it is catered for by BBC Radio and Television. This is only possible thanks to the unique way the BBC is paid for by you. BBC. You make it what it is." This message appears over the repeated words "You're going to reap just what you sow" which The Guardian described as "a none too subtle message: keep writing the cheque."[12] In response to accusations from commercial competitors that the corporation had wasted vast sums on the film it was revealed that each artist received a "token" £250 because of their belief in the BBC.[11]

Prompted by a huge public demand the track was released in October as a charity single for Children in Need, and Lou Reed said "I have never been more impressed with a performance of one of my songs."[13] It was the UK's number one single for three weeks, in two separate spells. Selling over a million copies, the record contributed £2,125,000 to the charity's highest fundraising total in six years.[14] The release featured two additional versions of the song: one entirely sung by female performers, one by male performers. The BBC also produced a Christmas version of the accompanying music video.
Old 09-12-10, 01:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What's your definition of relevant? Influential on current artists? Getting to the top of the charts? Making music you personally like?

Originally Posted by Jason
Lou Reed tries too hard. He has talent, but works so hard to be an Important Artist. He needs to stop reading and believing what Rolling Stone says about him.
I think out of everyone in rock, Lou Reed is the last person to care what Rolling Stone or anyone else thinks. His whole career has been done to satisfy himself, and the few times he's managed to stumble into chart success (Transformer, Sally Can't Dance), he's followed it up with something thoroughly uncompromising that turned away most of the new audience he had gained (Berlin and Metal Machine Music, respectively). I think his last album was music to meditate by. Is that the move of someone who wants to gain the approval of the critical establishment, or the move of someone who's making music he wants to make?
Old 09-12-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
New York is a friggin great album. But it's what, 20 years old now? Yeah, it refutes Hokeyboy's assertion, but it doesn't exactly establish Lou Reed as an important contemporary performer.
Old 09-12-10, 04:32 PM

@Suprmallet--Yes, that's a very good point. Berlin, dark record, MMM, wow, makes The Velvet Underground's most experimental stuff sound like Bread, practically.

I guess he decides what makes a good or a bad version of his songs. Between you and me, the Pavarotti duet, maybe an interesting idea as LP has worked with Rock musicians before, but this arrangement's result is very jarring and dismembered. The Susan Boyle version is quite melodic by comparison, and I'm not even a fan of hers.
Old 09-12-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
New York is a friggin great album. But it's what, 20 years old now? Yeah, it refutes Hokeyboy's assertion, but it doesn't exactly establish Lou Reed as an important contemporary performer.
First Hokeyboy first needs to explain why he needs to be relevant in 2010 to ask that one of his songs not be performed on some crappy show like America's Got Talent. And I didn't hear any report that he was whining about anything. That bloated singer was the one crying.
Old 09-12-10, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
First Hokeyboy first needs to explain why he needs to be relevant in 2010 to ask that one of his songs not be performed on some crappy show like America's Got Talent. And I didn't hear any report that he was whining about anything. That bloated singer was the one crying.
Pavarotti?
I saw the report that at the last minute he took back her permission to sing it on the show, so, whatever his reason for doing that is, he must have either a problem with her or with the show.
Old 09-12-10, 05:48 PM

Hoku Ho. Definitely.
Old 09-12-10, 06:23 PM

Well played, robot, well played!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPucs05gff0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPucs05gff0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OMG, the songs with the same title thread needs to be bumped again!

Last edited by HUG-H; 09-12-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 06:34 PM

Here's Boyle's version:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjQK8KDUV8A?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjQK8KDUV8A?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-12-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

I've always thought it is a jewel of a song. Why does Susan Boyle feel the need to lard it with giant string sections and backing choruses?
Old 09-12-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Or Magic and Loss. Plus there's good stuff on Street Hassle, The Bells and The Blue Mask. If you want to say he hasn't really been artistically relevant for 15 years, not 35, that's fine.
Old 09-13-10, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I realized that when I posted, but 35-20 leaves a good 15 year gap. Regardless, calling him irrelevant is silly and... well, irrelevant.