Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

Old 09-08-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=145749

MIKE PORTNOY Quits DREAM THEATER - Sep. 8, 2010

Drummer Mike Portnoy of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER has released the following statement:

"I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write.

"After 25 years, I have decided to leave DREAM THEATER... the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

"To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

"After having had such amazing experiences playing with HAIL!, TRANSATLANTIC and AVENGED SEVENFOLD this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in DREAM THEATER.

"Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DREAM THEATER guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them... it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break.

"DREAM THEATER was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985... 24/7, 365... never taking time off from DREAM THEATER's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was 'off' between cycles)... working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band.

"But I've come to the conclusion that the DREAM THEATER machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DREAM THEATER spirit hungry and inspired.

"We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here and there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a 'hiatus' to recharge our batteries and 'save me from ourselves'...

"Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather... I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

"While it truly hurts for me to even think of a DREAM THEATER without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.

"Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DREAM THEATER and I talked about 'always following your heart and being true to yourself'... Sadly, I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with DREAM THEATER...and I would simply be 'going through the motions,' and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

"I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come... I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

"I'm sorry to all the disappointed DREAM THEATER fans around the world... I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work... I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)... but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within.

"You DREAM THEATER fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me.... (and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future Mike Portnoy projects!)"
Old 09-08-10, 08:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

... the fuck?!

Definitely a shock. I can't imagine who they would get to replace him.
Old 09-08-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was unexpected.
Old 09-08-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. Something about the tone of that rubs me the wrong way though.
Old 09-08-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks looks like A7X found their permanent drummer
Old 09-08-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
looks looks like A7X found their permanent drummer
this

Wait for it, it'll be official soon I'm sure
Old 09-08-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
That sucks. Something about the tone of that rubs me the wrong way though.
from what i read, it seems more like he'd rather have the band take a hiatus for a year or 2, and the other guys told him no, so he told em fuck off.
Old 09-08-10, 10:34 PM

Maybe there will be more input on the lyrical side from James, John M. and Jordan now that Mike is gone. And as for Mike, I hope we get even more Transatlantic goodness.
Old 09-08-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a fan of DT since '89, I have to say, I welcome this.

Portnoy's contributions are what I've liked the least lately. Cheesy lyrics, bad vocals, stagnant drumming...

DT needed a shakeup. At the very least they needed someone producing the records other than Portnoy and Petrucci. Hopefully this change will lead to something fresh for them.

I'm guessing Portnoy has more revenue generating from other projects than the other guys do, so maybe they can't afford two years off like he can. I am surprised he isn't keeping the name but I'm sure he'll get money from all future DT releases.
Old 09-09-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm speechless...

Really. This is completely unexpected.
Old 09-09-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's also not a part of the Steven Wilson/Mikael Åkerfeldt project.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...l#post10361242
Old 09-09-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

band's statement

"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness — regret — we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave DREAM THEATER.

"Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

"While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that DREAM THEATER will continue to move forward with the same intensity — and in the same musical tradition — that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

"Fans and friends: File this episode under 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings.'

"As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour.

"'The Spirit Carries On.'

"All of us in DREAM THEATER wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed."

Given how Portnoy was one of the key songwriters in the band, will this leave Pertucci to do most of the work. Also, since they seem intent on moving on, who will replace Mike?
Old 09-09-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I think about it the more I agree with the band to keep moving. 2010 was supposed to be DT's "off year", and except for the Maiden/DT tour, it was. It's not the band's fault MP decided to do two side projects and join A7X during that time. And now he needs a break? Yeah no shit I would too.

I keep seeing random mentions from people saying they should get Gavin Harrison of DT. I wouldn't care if he did the record from them due to the short notice, but my god Gavin going to DT would be a bigger waste of talent and creativity than Portnoy is in A7X. PT is just perfect they way they are - and they are much more relevant to modern progressive music IMO.
Old 09-09-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
DT needed a shakeup. At the very least they needed someone producing the records other than Portnoy and Petrucci. Hopefully this change will lead to something fresh for them.
I've said this for years. A shakeup was definitely needed, but Mike leaving the band isn't what I had in mind. I'm in shock.

Glad to see the other guys forge ahead though.

Question though, if he's so tired of the constant recording and touring and needed a break, why not dump the two dozen side projects instead? Maybe it's just the early taste of being in a band that actually gets radio play that was too alluring.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-09-10 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I've said this for years. A shakeup was definitely needed, but Mike leaving the band isn't what I had in mind. I'm in shock.

Glad to see the other guys forge ahead though.

Question though, if he's so tired of the constant recording and touring and needed a break, why not dump the two dozen side projects instead? Maybe it's just the early taste of being in a band that actually gets radio play that was too alluring.
This would seem to indicate he's tired of constant recording and touring with DT. I do believe he will come to miss the control he has over his band if he makes A7X a more permanent home.

Speaking as a musician, I helped build an original band from the group up in my early 20's but it folded under the weight of musical and personality differences. I was burnt after that so I went with a band where all I had to do was play bass - no writing, singing, marketing, etc. And that was good, but ultimately I craved a project where I could do some of those things again. I believe it will be the same with MP.
Old 09-09-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It does sound like a classic case of simply being burned out. DT do a lot of touring and recording, and when you add in all the side projects he gets involved in, it's no surprise he's tired of it. Maybe he just wants to play drums without worrying about all the other stuff, and A7F offers that.

I just don't see why the others had such a problem with taking a year or two off. It's not like they don't have full schedules of side projects going on themselves.
Old 09-09-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Labrie stays pretty busy, Myung and Pettrucci don't keep themselves occupied as much though.
Old 09-09-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thing is, Portnoy is about 20 years older than the A7X boys, and they party pretty hard. Got a dead drummer to show for it. I don't think Portnoy is that kind of partier. Will he fit in?
Old 09-09-10, 08:29 PM

Dream Theater is DEAD to me. The first thing that pops in my mind when you say Dream Theater is Mike Portnoy. He even said that DT was his 'baby'.

The way I look at it, a band cannot continue using its name without its backbone (the main person who puts the most effort and provides the most input). And if the band wants to continue doing music without its backbone, then they should call themselves another name. For example, you can't have a Dio without RJD. You can't have a Black Sabbath without Iommi. You can't have a Motorhead without Lemmy. You can't have a Van Halen without EVH. You can't have a Motley Crue without Nikki Sixx. You can't have a Megadeth without Mustaine. You can't have a Metallica without Hetfield and Ulrich. You can't have a KISS without Simmons and Stanley. If the backbone(s) quit or die, then that's the end of the band as we know it.

If the remaining members of DT want to continue recording and performing music, great for them; nobody's stopping them. They just need to change their name out of respect and courtesy to Mike Portnoy.
Old 09-09-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jordan Rudess posted a response to Mike Portnoy leaving the band on his youtube account. He says in the description that he was never as good with expressing himself using words as he is through music, so he sat down and improvised a piece based on his feelings. You can hear him singing along for a while, but the vocals are too muffled and overpowered by the piano to tell what he's saying.

It's a beautiful piece and seems much more optimistic in tone than I expected. Of course until the final few seconds...

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 09-09-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 09:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamn, Rudess is the man.
Old 09-09-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many of the people who think DT = Portnoy became fans around or after SFAM. To me that's when his influence became bigger and bigger, but IMO their best records came while Kevin Moore was still in the band and there was obviously more balance.
Old 09-10-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vlyger View Post
Dream Theater is DEAD to me. The first thing that pops in my mind when you say Dream Theater is Mike Portnoy. He even said that DT was his 'baby'.

If the remaining members of DT want to continue recording and performing music, great for them; nobody's stopping them. They just need to change their name out of respect and courtesy to Mike Portnoy.
Sorry, but that puts a slight on Myung and Petrucci quite a bit. They have been there from day 1 as well.

So one guy took lead and became band leader and it's most vocal member, it doesn't mean he is the end-all-be-all of the band when two others have been there since the beginning(25 years). Not to mention Labrie has been there for 20 years, and now Rudess for 10. Now if you were talking about an ever revolving lineup like Kiss, I could understand the stance that DT should close up shop, but that's clearly not the case here.
Old 09-10-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Strangely, for as long (since Images and Words) and as big of a fan as I am (even of the albums most fans say they hate) this news really doesn't bother me that much. Maybe I too am finally worn out on DT and feel they needed something like this.

I'd be more upset if Petrucci or LaBrie left (yes, I like LaBrie's voice).
Old 09-10-10, 07:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

LaBrie is a great vocalist. Just not a good lyricist.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.