Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Really good songs you didnt realize was on your MP3 player

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-19-10, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird question but it happens to me every now and then. What are some songs youve stumbled across on your iPod/MP3 player after it being on there for a while that you really like? How this can happen you may ask? Well for me sometimes Ill buy an album and not get through or remember all the songs only to listen to one later that I really enjoy. Or when I first got an ipod I uploaded almost every cd in my house that was mine or my sisters so I stumbled across some gems that she had down the line.

This week I was listening to the radio and Alexisonfire's "The Northern" came on. I thought to myself,"Self, this is a great song. They must have a new album coming out". So I went looking for a new album only to find out that song is on their latest album "Old Crows/Young Cardinals" which I already have! So what are your songs you had but stumbled on much later possibly no even knowing you owned the song?
Old 08-19-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Really good songs you didnt realize was on your MP3 player

This happens to me all the time. Between eMusic (especially back when I was getting 90 downloads a month) and the Amazon downloads of the day, I've taken a chance on a lot of music that I like, but have partly forgotten about. Then there's 20 years of CD collecting to recall that's been put as most as I can onto the Ipod on top of those downloads. I've got an 160GB Ipod classic and when I'm not sure exactly what I want to listen to, I'll put all songs on shuffle (currently 26,305) and try to see how long it takes me to guess what song I'm listening to.

I guess my latest 'discovery' was Sparks which I've downloaded several albums from eMusic almost a year and a half ago. They are a talented and clever group that I've really got to listen more to.
Old 08-19-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, I have many songs like that since I've had a laptop and an iPod conk on me. I've had to download my brother's iTunes library twice already...similar to mine, but not exactly the same.

Old 08-19-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard good things about Lily Allen a long time ago, and downloaded her (I think) first album. For some reason, I never got around to listening to it after putting on my player, and just forgot about it. During Glee's fall run last year, Rachel and Finn performed "Smile", but I didn't know where it came from until I looked it up and saw it was Lily Allen, and saw which album it was on. I looked on my player, and sure enough, there it was.
Old 08-19-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I worked an overnight shift once at my old workplace and threw all sorts of artists on my Zune. One of them was Rilo Kiley.

I put everything on my Zune on random and got their song Dejalo and it quickly became a song I love to listen to whenever. I was only familiar with one of their albums but discovered the rest because that song really opened up the rest of their catalog to me.
Old 08-20-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The other week, I discovered the Cracker cover of Shake Some Action on the Clueless soundtrack. If I ever knew that Cracker had covered that song, let alone that I had a copy, I had long since forgotten that fact.
Old 08-20-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roy Ayers/Wayne Henderson - "For Real"
Old 08-20-10, 01:53 PM

When I watched "Zombieland," there was a song during the movie that I really liked. So, I Googled some of the lyrics and come to find out that the song was "Kingdom of Rust," by Doves, which had been on my Ipod for quite some time but I had never gotten around to giving it a good listen.