Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The RIAA's not getting much return on its investment

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The RIAA's not getting much return on its investment

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The RIAA's not getting much return on its investment

Originally Posted by TheMadFapper
98% of music that is downloaded is done illegally. That means trillions, not billions, but trillions of dollars have been taken out of the hands of both artists and record companies.

But that's okay, I mean Metallica doesn't need any more money, right?
I go out of my way to download as much metallica as i can find, and never even listen to it. I just want Lars Ulrich to run around thinking he is more popular than he actually is.

I have a theory that eventually that giant head of his will get so inflated with his sense of self importance that it will pop like an overstuffed blueberry. And i want to think that my downloading had, in some small way, a hand in that.
Old 08-07-10, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I go out of my way to download as much metallica as i can find, and never even listen to it. I just want Lars Ulrich to run around thinking he is more popular than he actually is.

I have a theory that eventually that giant head of his will get so inflated with his sense of self importance that it will pop like an overstuffed blueberry. And i want to think that my downloading had, in some small way, a hand in that.
Because of what happened with Napster way back when is why I refuse to listen to Metallica ever again...
Old 08-08-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I quit liking Metallica less for the idea of stopping the downloading, and more for how Lars & Co. handled the whole thing.

And all this talk about CD's costing over $10...

I can't understand why New Order's "Substance" still costs $23. The CD is old enough to graduate college and it still costs full price?

There is a reason why I buy used.
Old 08-08-10, 02:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Now there's no need to lowball the estimate like that for the sake of your post appearing to be reasonably well informed and sane.

Surely you meant to post quintillions of dollars right? No wait! Decillions of dollars!! That's it!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that as much as $15 has been lost due to online piracy.

As for Metallica, I couldn't care less about their stance on Napster. The fact that they haven't made a good album since The Black Album is reason enough for me to not buy or listen to any of their new music.

What I would like to see are the sales figures from the NIN and Radiohead downloadable releases. Those are the two highest profile artists I know of who offered their albums online for low prices (and Radiohead even let you choose your own price). If those were successful, I don't see why that can't be the new business model.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-08-10 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, I was a-buyin' SACD and DVD-A regularly when those were out. But lo-and-behold, they're gone. Those formats were high-resolution, and had nice copy-protection built right in for the labels and the RIAA folks. Perfect solution for everyone, right? Ya reaps what ya sews.

P.S. - $10 CDs?? Unless I missed something, it was the $21 CD that was the root cause of FYE's collapse. Ya reaps what ya sews.
Old 08-08-10, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Hey, I was a-buyin' SACD and DVD-A regularly when those were out. But lo-and-behold, they're gone. Those formats were high-resolution, and had nice copy-protection built right in for the labels and the RIAA folks. Perfect solution for everyone, right? Ya reaps what ya sews.

P.S. - $10 CDs?? Unless I missed something, it was the $21 CD that was the root cause of FYE's collapse. Ya reaps what ya sews.
I've got a ton of SACDs. Great format. I believe Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs still releases them. It's a shame the format died out.
Old 08-08-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that as much as $15 has been lost due to online piracy.

As for Metallica, I couldn't care less about their stance on Napster. The fact that they haven't made a good album since The Black Album is reason enough for me to not buy or listen to any of their new music.
You're not a fan of Death Magnetic?
Old 08-08-10, 04:38 PM
Banned by request

Not really, no.
Old 08-09-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

I've got a ton of SACDs. Great format. I believe Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs still releases them. It's a shame the format died out.
Doesn't something have to be alive before it can die?
Old 08-09-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

I'm sad we never got a rebuttal from the trillion dollar guy.

This is what $100 million looks like:

And a trillion:

Can you imagine the trillions lost by the RIAA? No wonder they're pissed. Trillions of dollars = USA's annual GDP!
Old 08-09-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

What I would like to see are the sales figures from the NIN and Radiohead downloadable releases. Those are the two highest profile artists I know of who offered their albums online for low prices (and Radiohead even let you choose your own price). If those were successful, I don't see why that can't be the new business model.
Interesting thing about that was how even after In Rainbows was available online at the price of your own choosing, when the physical CD came out months later, it still debuted at #1. But they're a unique case.
Old 08-09-10, 11:58 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Doesn't something have to be alive before it can die?
You wound me with your words!
Old 08-09-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those poor record execs were used to having those pallets upon pallets of stacked $100s dropped off on their doorstep now have to eat at Arby's and Red Lobster.

You evil bastards who torrent and download and go to Usenet binary sites ... you sick mothereffers... you festering pustules of hate... anyone have an Advil?
Old 08-09-10, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

I used to play bass for Festering Pustules of Hate. We had to call it quits because although we made tons of money, the RIAA took it all for legal fees.
Old 08-09-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Were you slapping it or picking it?
Old 08-09-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Skintag -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old 08-09-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Re-watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid a couple nights ago, and I thought about this thread.

Butch Cassidy: "A set-up like that costs more than we ever took...That crazy Harriman. That's bad business. How long do you think I'd stay in operation if every time I pulled a job, it cost me money? If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbin' him, I'd stop robbin' him!"
Old 09-18-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to bump this based on an article in the recent Rolling Stone issue. It's written by long time U2 manager, Paul McGuinness.

He takes an interesting stance of blaming ISPs for the profileration of online privacy. Here's a quote from the article "The idea that free content is an inexorable fact of life brought on by the unstoppable advance technology is a myth. It is in fact part of the commercial agenda of powerful telecom industries."

It's an interesting, albeit somewhat ludicrous, argument. I don't think the article is online or I would post it.