Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Danny Elfman's "Batman" Score 2-Disc Edition!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Danny Elfman's "Batman" Score 2-Disc Edition!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Danny Elfman's "Batman" Score 2-Disc Edition!

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Damn, I can't stand Elfman's scores and that link even makes me want it. Awesome looking set.
Old 10-04-10, 03:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with that set is that after Nightmare Before Christmas, the scores start to all sound the same.
Old 10-06-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The problem with that set is that after Nightmare Before Christmas, the scores start to all sound the same.
You're right. Planet of the Apes? Big Fish? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? All exactly the same.

It's nice to see that hyperbolic ignorance is still thriving online.
Old 10-07-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

For those who bought the 2 disc Batman soundtrack; Does anyone care to review it? How is the sound and is it worth the $30 bucks?
Old 10-07-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
For those who bought the 2 disc Batman soundtrack; Does anyone care to review it? How is the sound and is it worth the $30 bucks?
It's worth it to get the complete score, but the sound quality varies from cue to cue, and that is due entirely - and I mean ENTIRELY to the lack-of-care by the score's original engineer Eric Tomlinson, and the lack-of-care in storing the score's elements. Tomlinson, according to Elfman and all involved with this album, didn't much care about this score and the staff didn't take Elfman, or his conductor the late Shirley Walker seriously because she was a woman. La-La Land records went literally worldwide to track down everything they could of the score, in addition to Elfman himself to get the best possible elements and that leaves some cues sounding incredible and vibrant, and others distant and occasionally clipped.

Examples of this are:

Disc one's "Main Title", which is clipped in is rising crescendo which underscored the on-screen title of "BATMAN".
Also the film version of the "Clown Attack", which sounded almost like raw recording session audio in its distant, reverb-heavy sound.

Contrast that to cues like "Shootout" (the extended film-version of "First confrontation") and "Batman To the Rescue" (the music underscoring Batman's crashing through the museum skylight) are crystal-clear and fantastic in quality.

Really, I'd suggest listening to samples of it online and making your own call on it. I knew about the element condition and not to expect it to be perfect going in, and I am by no means disappointed in the slightest. It's wonderful to have the complete score.

I should also add that "BATMAN RETURNS" will not suffer the same issues in terms of quality.

All of this information about the element condition and so on came from La-La Land directly, as they posted all of this information on the Film Score Monthly messageboard.
Old 10-07-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
You're right. Planet of the Apes? Big Fish? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? All exactly the same.

Old 10-07-10, 04:02 AM

People still bash James Horner for the same thing, and having heard literally everything, and I mean everything Horner's done that's available in some form or another, I know full well that isn't true, but people will think what they think. I don't much care anymore since it's something of a game to film music fans to say things like that, so it's not worth it.

I never saw Big Fish or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or Alice in Wonderland, so I can't really comment on that. At the same time I'd be a damn fool to think Planet of the Apes would sound anything like those obviously lighter fantasy / family movies.
Old 10-07-10, 05:17 AM
Banned by request

Out of all the composers working today, it is far easier to pick out an Elfman score than just about anyone. Do all of his scores sound exactly the same? No. But his work has been very much of the "variations on a theme" vein (to put it mildly) for the whole decade if not longer. But I suppose if you're spending several hundred dollars on a massive box set of Elfman scores, you'd have to be willing to tune your ears to the subtle differences from piece to piece.

Granted, while Elfman may be getting long in the tooth, he's nowhere near as bad as Burton, who seems to be working off a checklist these days.
Old 10-07-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz

Love it! Too bad at $499 it is not really an option for me.
Old 10-07-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tim Burton's illustrations are awesome

Old 10-07-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Out of all the composers working today, it is far easier to pick out an Elfman score than just about anyone. Do all of his scores sound exactly the same? No. But his work has been very much of the "variations on a theme" vein (to put it mildly) for the whole decade if not longer. But I suppose if you're spending several hundred dollars on a massive box set of Elfman scores, you'd have to be willing to tune your ears to the subtle differences from piece to piece.

Granted, while Elfman may be getting long in the tooth, he's nowhere near as bad as Burton, who seems to be working off a checklist these days.
I feel he has a distinctive "sound" to his work. Just like you know you're hearing a Beatles song or a Bowie song. I think the same can be said for John Williams, especially after "Star Wars."
Old 10-07-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
It's worth it to get the complete score, but the sound quality varies from cue to cue, and that is due entirely - and I mean ENTIRELY to the lack-of-care by the score's original engineer Eric Tomlinson, and the lack-of-care in storing the score's elements. Tomlinson, according to Elfman and all involved with this album, didn't much care about this score and the staff didn't take Elfman, or his conductor the late Shirley Walker seriously because she was a woman. La-La Land records went literally worldwide to track down everything they could of the score, in addition to Elfman himself to get the best possible elements and that leaves some cues sounding incredible and vibrant, and others distant and occasionally clipped.

Examples of this are:

Disc one's "Main Title", which is clipped in is rising crescendo which underscored the on-screen title of "BATMAN".
Also the film version of the "Clown Attack", which sounded almost like raw recording session audio in its distant, reverb-heavy sound.

Contrast that to cues like "Shootout" (the extended film-version of "First confrontation") and "Batman To the Rescue" (the music underscoring Batman's crashing through the museum skylight) are crystal-clear and fantastic in quality.

Really, I'd suggest listening to samples of it online and making your own call on it. I knew about the element condition and not to expect it to be perfect going in, and I am by no means disappointed in the slightest. It's wonderful to have the complete score.

I should also add that "BATMAN RETURNS" will not suffer the same issues in terms of quality.

All of this information about the element condition and so on came from La-La Land directly, as they posted all of this information on the Film Score Monthly messageboard.
What about the "remastered" songs on the "Original Soundtrack" album, disc 2? Do those tracks blow the original CD away? I don't own the original so if the remastering is great on the "original soundtrack" side then I'll bite.
Old 10-08-10, 12:33 AM

What about the "remastered" songs on the "Original Soundtrack" album, disc 2? Do those tracks blow the original CD away? I don't own the original so if the remastering is great on the "original soundtrack" side then I'll bite.
I wouldn't say there's any real difference in quality between disc 2, and the 1989 release of the same thing, no. The 1989 "Original Soundtrack" release was significantly different from what you hear in the film because it was fully remixed and sounds almost like a different recording of the music altogether when you compare it to the film versions.

However, almost all the cues on that album were edited - cut down for time and certain instruments (mostly percussion) were toned down, making it even more different than it already was. This new release on disc 2 doesn't change any of that - they mentioned using the original digital master for that 1989 release, on this one as well. The bonus tracks for this score all follow that original album presentation and the alternate main titles are both different not in terms of the main Batman theme, but instead performance, mixing and instrumental emphasis, and the second of the two offers something of an easter egg on the end. A very funny one especially after listening to the whole score album for two hours and need something of a relief.

Wow, 2500 posts. Neat-O.
Old 10-08-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

See post 25, I linked to a review. The last paragraph specifically talks about this release. Man, $30 for a soundtrack is awfully hard to pull the trigger on, if it were $20 that'd be much easier. I did just recently get back into buying my music again, and just ordered the Alien Resurrection 2disc score for $25 cause I've always really liked it. Also got the Intrada Tombstone for $15, which I'm very happy with.
Old 10-08-10, 03:45 AM

I read Filmtracks reviews practically every day. Have for years now.
Old 11-23-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we discussed the Burton/Elfman Box Set here, I got this e-mail from Warner Records yesterday....

Thank you for your order of "THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX"

Due to the elaborate workmanship required in creating this unique treasure box our manufacturer will not be able to deliver until February. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

In appreciation of your order, Warner Bros Records is pleased to let you know that we will be sending you a very special HOLIDAY GIFT:

THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX COLLECTOR'S EDITION BONUS DISC

Created EXCLUSIVELY for the now sold-out Numbered, Limited Collector's Edition of 1000, this BONUS DISC will feature special musical content. Only those who already purchased the COLLECTOR'S EDITION will receive this rare 17th Disc as an addition to the set's 16 CD collection.

To make your holidays even brighter, this bonus gift disc will be AUTOGRAPHED BY DANNY ELFMAN!

Thank you again for your support and patience.
Old 11-23-10, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Did the Batman Returns score get delayed? I'm not seeing it on the La La Land site.
Old 11-26-10, 10:59 AM

Release Date is November 30th, along with complete presentations of STAR TREK V: The Final Frontier, Home Alone and the premiere release of Jade.

BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1153
Music by Danny Elfman
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land’s Expanded Archival Collection returns to Gotham for this 2CD remastered and expanded presentation of Danny Elfman’s magnificent score to the 1992 Warner Bros. motion picture blockbuster BATMAN RETURNS, starring Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito, directed by Tim Burton. Composer Elfman (BATMAN, MARS ATTACKS, WANTED, ALICE IN WONDERLAND) revisits his iconic theme and expertly weaves it into a sumptuous musical experience, bringing to life the film’s breathtaking action and rich emotional and psychological underpinnings. Produced by Neil S. Bulk, Dan Goldwasser and MV Gerhard and mastered by James Nelson from Shawn Murphy’s first generation three-track digital mixes, this limited edition release features more than 30 minutes of previously unreleased music, including alternate cues. The in-depth, exclusive liner notes are by John Takis and the art direction is by David C. Fein. This release is limited to 3500 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc One: Total Time: 68:08

1. Birth of a Penguin/Main Title (5:38)
2. Penguin Spies* (1:09)
3. Shadow of Doom*/Clown Attack*/Introducing the Bat** (5:01)
4. Intro*/The Zoo**/The Lair (6:00)
5. Caught in the Act*/Uh-Oh Max* (1:58)
6. Kitty Party*/Selina Transforms** (5:30)
7. Penguin’s Grand Deed* (1:50)
8. The List Begins* (:45)
9. The Cemetery (2:56)
10. Catwoman Saves Joan*/The New Woman* (2:03)
11. Penguin’s Surprise (1:43)
12. Bad, Bad Dog**/Batman vs. Circus/Selina’s Shopping Spree** (5:42)
13. Cat Chase** (2:12)
14. Candidate Cobblepot* (:58)
15. The Plan*/Kidnapping* (2:32)
16. Sore Spots/Batman’s Closet* (3:22)
17. The Plot Unfolds* (1:15)
18. Roof Top Encounters** (4:49)
19. Batman’s Wild Ride** (4:19)
20. Fall From Grace** (4:17)
21. Revealed*/Party Crasher* (3:18)

Disc Two: Total Time: 71:27

1. Umbrella Source/The Children’s Hour/War** (7:53)
2. Final Confrontation**/Finale (9:15)
3. A Shadow of Doubt**/End Credits** (6:15)
4. Face to Face (4:18)
- performed by Siouxsie and the Banshees

ALTERNATE AND ALBUM CUES:

5. The Zoo (alternate)** (1:00)
6. The List Begins (alternate)* (:45)
7. Cat Chase (alternate ending)** (2:13)
8. Roof Top Encounters (original)** (4:49)
9. Fall From Grace (alternate ending)** (4:17)
10. The Lair, Part I (:57)
11. The Lair, Part II (4:51)
12. Selina Transforms, Part I (1:12)
13. Selina Transforms, Part II (4:15)
14. Batman vs. The Circus (2:35)
15. Cat Suite (5:43)
16. A Shadow of Doubt (alternate)**/End Credits (alternate) (7:02)

BONUS TRACK:

17. Super Freak* (3:23)
- composed by Rick James and Alonzo Miller
* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material

Album Total Running Time: 139:35
Old 11-26-10, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Awesome, thanks!
Old 12-09-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone receive the expanded score of Batman Returns yet? Any reviews?
Old 12-09-10, 03:41 PM
Banned by request

Just placed my order for the Batman Returns score.
Old 12-16-10, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Got the Batman Returns score. Sounds fantastic. It's very thorough, even including "Face to Face," alternate takes, and the instrumental version of "Super Freak" that plays at Shreck's ball. The booklet is quite thick and has plenty of info. Worth purchasing for any Elfman or Batman fan.
Old 01-13-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Since we discussed the Burton/Elfman Box Set here, I got this e-mail from Warner Records yesterday....
I got my bonus disk yesterday! While it's incredibly cool to have something signed by Danny, it sucks that they just threw it in a bubblelope. The one corner of the cardboard sleeve got bent through the mail. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but looking forward to it!
Old 01-14-11, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine the other day too. It arrived in the same condition. I hope the box set shows up in better packaging! But the bonus CD is pretty awesome.
Old 04-06-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My box came yesterday! Very cool.. very heavy! So far I've only watched the DVD.. my only minor gripes with the set thus far are the DVD seems to have some editing flaws in it, and the CDs seemed to not be thought out in the packaging. The lid rests on the top row of discs, which sadly are in cardboard cases. Two of them have bend corners because of this, and I'll definitely be storing the disks on my shelf and not in the box. For the price, I'd expect perfection. But I'm quite happy with my box I've got no room for!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.