Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amp advice

Old 07-20-10, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amp advice

Not sure if this was the correct thread but its dealing with music so...

I am about to purchase this:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/1852856117.html

For those that dont click the link its a 35 watt solid state amp, and two RCA speakers. My main concern is that this will be loud enough for rehearsals/practices only. We have something else for live gigs.

I already have a 12 channel mixer to go along with that. We use two keyboards, two mics, bass, guitar (sometime acoustic, sometime electric or both) and may eventually mic up the drums but that will probably be for live gigs.

Will 35 watts (solid state) be loud enough for rehearsing?? As long as everyone is nice and clear we will be happy.
Old 07-21-10, 08:53 AM

Re: Amp advice

I don't think so. My band uses a 100-watt amp for our rehearsal PA, and we're a three piece, and we could probably use a little more power. I doubt a 35-watt will cut it at all for anyone other than a small, acoustic combo.
Old 07-21-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ if it's solid state. I have 15w tube amp and I can barely turn it on, and it's too loud. (For guitar)
Old 07-21-10, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Agreed. The smallest [guitar] amp I would be at a practice with would be at least 35 watts in and of itself.
It's not a guitar amp, it's for their PA.
Old 07-21-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is I love playing bass. 500 watts of unadulterated POWER!

But seriously, I concur. How big is your bass player's amp? I would think the volume of the bass and loudness of the drums will dictate how loud you need to be. 35 would almost certainly leave you wanting more.
Old 07-22-10, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
^^ if it's solid state. I have 15w tube amp and I can barely turn it on, and it's too loud. (For guitar)
I don't want to turn this into a big argument about what types of amps are and aren't suitable for gigging, but what I've found is that the reason why most 15-watt solid state amps aren't giggable, but many 15-watt tube amps are, is because of speaker size - it has little to do with whether the amps are tube or solid state. A 15 watt solid state amp is a practice amp, usually with a 8" speaker. Compare that to a Fender Deluxe, a comparable powered tube amp, but that has a 12" speaker. Or the Vox AC15, for example. 15 watts pushing a 12" Celestion Greenback is often sufficient for a small club gig, solid state or tube.

I have a Vox Pathfinder practice amp that, when I run it into my Marshall 2x12", is my backup gigging amp.
Old 07-22-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok guys what do you think about this amp?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1857018880.html

About halfway down the page theres the Marshall Valvestate VS30R Amp fpr $40.