Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Santana - GUITAR HEAVEN - 9/21/10

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Santana - GUITAR HEAVEN - 9/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Santana - GUITAR HEAVEN - 9/21/10

11 full tracks streamed by Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/entity/Sant...kip&sr=8-2-ent
Old 09-15-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 174 Posts

And yes, Photograph is waaayyyy better on the studio version
Old 09-15-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After listening to the clips, there's no way I'm touching this. What's strange is a recall reading an interview with Carlos a couple of years back talking about how he was readying an all instrumental album with no singers. That would be worth checking out, but this release seems entirely unnecessary.
Old 09-21-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it's release day. $9.99 most places, deluxe version (with DVD) for $12.99 at Best Buy and Amazon.
Old 09-21-10, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that anyone cares, But here's my track by track review:

Whole Lotta Love (Chris Cornell/Led Zep) - I wouldn't rate this song any better than okay. It's certainly not the worst song on the album though. Cornell is certainly not Robert Plant by any stretch of the imagination. Lacks the raw power and sexuality of the Zeppelin version. 3/5.

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' (Scott Weiland/Rolling Stones) - Now this is more like it. One of my favorites on the album. Weiland surprised me with a plus vocal and Santana doing Keith Richards dirty bluesy riffs is awesome. Great great tone. 5/5.

Sunshine of Your Love (Rob Thomas/Cream) - Rob Thomas is Santana's go to guy. Pretty hard to argue with the pairing, all the stuff they've done together is pretty good, and this really isn't an exception. Thomas doesn't really hold up to Bruce/Clapton's vocal, and it lacks Clapton's irreplaceable tone from the original. The extra percussion is really annoying though. I wish they wouldn't have used it. 4/5.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (india.arie & Yo-Yo Ma [THE CELLIST]/The Beatles - I didn't really care for this song. It just didn't do anything for me. It's a softly picked acoustic/cello duet thingy. It would make for nice elevator music I guess. 3/5.

Photograph (Daughtry/Def Leppard) - I don't care much for Def Lep (post-High 'n' Dry anyways), so it's hard for me to comment about the vocals being good or bad. It wasn't terrible. Santana absolutely BEASTS the solo though. Extra points for that. 3.5/5.

Back in Black (Nas [THE RAPPER] & Janelle Monae/AC/DC) - It's really hard for me to find anything to praise in this song. It was an interesting experiment I guess. But Nas doing the vocals is awful, and Santana can't conjure up the heaviness that the riff requires. DUD.

Riders on the Storm (Chester Bennington & Ray Manzarek/ The Doors) - Honestly, I hate the Doors, I hate Linkin Park, and this song really does nothing for me. Bennington isn't really offensive vocally, but this isn't exactly a "guitar classic." Having the keyboardist from the Doors on there is a nice touch though. 2.5/5.

Smoke on the Water (Jacoby Shaddix/Deep Purple) - The first 15 seconds or so (right before the 2nd guitar kicks in) sounds exactly like the original version. I liked it. That part I mean. I was really prepared for the worst again, what with another one of these nu-metal jerkoffs doing the vocals, but Shaddix puts in something that was surprisingly not terrible, but not Gillan worthy either. I would have liked this one way more with no vox at all. 3/5.

Dance the Night Away (Pat Monahan/Van Halen) - Prior to about 2 minutes ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell Pat Monahan from Bridget Moynahan (Apparently Pat is the dude from Train who sings that Soul Sister song in the ball twisting upper vocal range that I'm amazed isn't only heard by dogs). I really love this Van Halen song (in my top 5) and I would say that it was a really good cover. Santana does EVH justice and Monahan does a decent enough Diamond Dave. Easily one of the better songs on the CD. 5/5.

Bang a Gong (Gavin Rossdale/T. Rex) - Another song that's not really bad. Santana doesn't find the right tone though and Rossdale doesn't come through with a shining vocal performance (he never quite gets the emotion of the original right). But it's ok. 2.5/5.

Little Wing (Joe Cocker/Jimi Hendrix) - Pretty standard guitarist stuff. Feels like everyone has their own take on this one (Derek & the Dominos, SRV). I wouldn't say this one sheds any new light on the tune, but it doesn't detract or disappoint. The vocal is Joe Cocker as solid as usual, and Santana matches it with his good, solid tone and tasteful playing. 4.5/5.

I Ain't Superstitious (Jonny Lang/Jeff Beck) - I can't really pass judgment on this one as I haven't really listened to the original (or at least the version this is supposed to be a cover of) so much. But between listening to them both, the guitar on the Santana version is good enough, but the vocal falls flat in comparison to the Beck version. 3/5.

Deluxe Edition bonus tracks:

Fortunate Son (Scott Stapp/CCR) - Santana doesn't find the right tone, Scott Stapp is a complete and total fuck up, and the song lacks ANY of the power/anger/message of the original. DUD.

Under the Bridge (Andy Vargas/Red Hot Chili Peppers) - I don't know who Andy Vargas is (Wiki article leads to some Euro footballer, which I doubt.) Liners say he did background vocals on the album. Either way, This version of this song is EXCEPTIONAL. It's awesome and a very well done cover of this song, which is pretty much out of left field. IT at least makes up for suffering through that shitty Scott Stapp song. 5/5.

On the whole, I would say it's worth at least a spin if you like some of the songs chosen. Just do yourself a favor and avoid the Nas thing and Scott Stapp too.

Total album score: 4/5
Old 09-22-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

After listening to clips of the songs, the only vocals that fit/sound good are Weiland and the guy from Train. He actually sounds really good.