Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks to be the best reissue of David Bowie's backcatalog yet:

Why? Well, read my thoughts here:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...-disc-package/

But it boils down to-- finally-- the use of the original analog masters and the inclusion of the his most popularly bootlegged live show.
Old 07-03-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

And so I continue to wish I had tons of extra spending dough! Pretty impressive offering.
Old 07-03-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Bowie's Station to Station reissue due Sept. 20: the best of his backcatalog yet!

Jesus 4 CDs, DVDs and 3 LPs from an album that originally had 6 songs?
Old 07-03-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$150 BUCKS? Station to Station is probably in my top three Bowie, but i've still got my RCA disc, and i'm almost deaf anyway.
Old 07-03-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll spring for the 3-cd version just to have the live stuff. Count me in. One of Bowie's best.
Old 07-03-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Damn, may need to go for the $150 version. One of my favorite Bowie albums and would love to hear that in 5.1.
Old 07-03-10, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely one of Bowie's top albums. I'll be buying that ridiculously huge version.
Old 07-03-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Station to Station but I don't think I'll be getting the ridiculous edition. I'll just stick with the three disc set.

I will however purchase the super-ridiculous edition of Low should it become available.
Old 07-03-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here are the details of both editions:

The Special Edition of Station To Station (above) is a CD sized box with lift off lid which contains the following.

~ CD 1: 2010 transfer of Station To Station from the original stereo analogue master in mini replica sleeve

1. Station To Station (10.11)
2. Golden Years (4.02)
3. Word On A Wing (6.01)
4. TVC15 (5.31)
5. Stay (6.12)
6. Wild Is The Wind (6.02)

~ CDs 2 & 3: Live Nassau Coliseum '76 (Recorded live at the Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY, USA. March 23rd, 1976) in gatefold CD wallet

1. Station To Station (11.53)
2. Suffragette City (3.31)
3. Fame (4.02)
4. Word On A Wing (6.06)
5. Stay (7.25)
6. Waiting For The Man (6.20)
7. Queen Bitch (3.12)

Nassau Coliseum concert continued...
1. Life On Mars? (2.13)
2. Five Years (5.03)
3. Panic In Detroit (6.03)
4. Changes (4.11)
5. TVC15 (4.58)
6. Diamond Dogs (6.38)
7. Rebel Rebel (4.07)
8. The Jean Genie (7.28)

~ 16-page booklet with sleevenotes by Cameron Crowe and chronology by Kevin Cann

~ Three period photocards of Bowie in various settings

The digital download will feature the same audio content as above but with the added bonus of an unedited alternative mix of Panic In Detroit that clocks in at 13:09.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Station To Station Deluxe Edition
ICPN 50999-647601-2-4 / UK Catalogue no. BOWSTSD 2010

The Deluxe Edition of Station To Station (above) is an album sized box with lift off lid housed in a foam-packed box, 325 x 325 x 50mm and contains the following...

~ CD 1: 2010 transfer of Station To Station from the original stereo analogue master

~ CD 2: Station To Station 1985 CD master

~ CD 3: Station To Station single edits five track EP containing Golden Years, TVC15, Stay, Word On A Wing and Station To Station

~ CDs 4 & 5: Live Nassau Coliseum '76

~ DVD containing the following...

Station To Station (original analogue master, 96kHz/24bit LPCM stereo)
Station To Station (new Harry Maslin 5.1 surround sound mix in DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital)
Station To Station (original analogue master, LPCM stereo)
Station To Station (new Harry Maslin stereo mix, 48kHz/24bit LPCM stereo)

~ 12" heavyweight vinyl of Station To Station from the original stereo analogue master in replica sleeve

~ 2 x 12" heavyweight vinyl of Live Nassau Coliseum '76 in gatefold sleeve

Aside from all of this marvellous audio content, here's what else you get in the Deluxe Edition box...

24-page booklet with sleevenotes by Cameron Crowe and chronology by Kevin Cann and also including...

~ Previously unpublished Steve Shapiro photo
~ Geoff MacCormack photos
~ Andrew Kent live Nassau photos

Both the 16 and 24-page booklets will be illustrated with record sleeves and extensive memorabilia from the BowieNet archives.

Finally, the deluxe box also contains facsimile copies of two very collectable folders with most of the original content reproduced...

Replica David Bowie On Stage 1976 press kit folder containing the following...

~ Replica Nassau ticket from night of the show
~ Replica backstage pass
~ Replica A4 biog
~ Replica band line-up
~ 3 x 10x8" press shots

~ Replica 1976 Fan Club Folder containing the following...

~ Replica fan club membership card
~ Fan club certificate
~ 2 small collector cards
~ 2 A4 photo cards
~ Replica 4-page biography
~ 2 badges
~ 6 panel folded Steve Shapiro photo poster of Bowie kneeling

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-03-10, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I love Station to Station but I don't think I'll be getting the ridiculous edition. I'll just stick with the three disc set.

I will however purchase the super-ridiculous edition of Low should it become available.
Ditto. My favorite Bowie album.
Old 07-06-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that looks awesome! I can't wait.
Old 07-06-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I am in for the deluxe set.

Is there a pre-order link up anywhere yet?
Old 07-06-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I love Bowie and love this album, but I don't even know what I'd do with half of the shit in that uber set.

Looks like the 3-disc set for me.
Old 07-06-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have all of the other Bowie surround-sound releases, so I'm a little annoyed that I'm going to have to skip this one due to the pricetag. Looks awesome, but I can't justify THAT much more for all the extras. I'd be in for a CD + DVD version, or preferably an SACD or Blu-ray.
Old 07-07-10, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I have all of the other Bowie surround-sound releases, so I'm a little annoyed that I'm going to have to skip this one due to the pricetag. Looks awesome, but I can't justify THAT much more for all the extras. I'd be in for a CD + DVD version, or preferably an SACD or Blu-ray.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, which ones do you have?
Old 07-07-10, 11:11 AM

I have surround cds (dual discs, dvd-audio, or sacds) of Reality, Heathen, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance, Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and Young Americans... (unfortunately 2 of the sacds are only stereo not surround)...

still I can't justify getting this box just for the surround disc because of the price
Old 07-07-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, same here. Oh yeah, and Live and Stage on DVD-A.

I suppose I could sell the SACD of Heathen since that goes for crazy amounts of money these days, but I'm too lazy to do that. I guess I'll just hope it comes out in a smaller package at some point.
Old 07-07-10, 12:02 PM

Cool thanks for filling me in on the surround discs. I have quite a few and I really enjoy them, so I might have to get some Bowie in there too.
Old 07-09-10, 03:33 AM
Suspended

I think Ill just wait for the special 5 disc version of Outside.
Old 07-09-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rider555
I think Ill just wait for the special 5 disc version of Outside.
There was a lot of stuff recorded for that, so who knows...

Did you know Brain Eno and Bowie got together and produced an album's worth of material called 2. Contamination? It was never released (Outside was supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy of albums heralding the new millennium).

Also, if you ever got the Inspirations DVD by Michael Apted, Bowie is one of the featured artists (it's a documentary about what drives an array of creative artists to create). Apted was in the studio with Bowie and his band as they recorded and wrote a song that never wound up on the album. That movie is now out of print and now very rare.
Old 07-09-10, 02:10 PM
Banned by request

Did they actually have the material to make up Contamination? I thought they had planned on making it, but never did.
Old 07-09-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Did they actually have the material to make up Contamination? I thought they had planned on making it, but never did.
That may have been aborted before it became a full album. I just remember reading about it 10 years or so ago on then popular Bowie fansite Teenage Wildlife that Bowie was not happy with the outcome and shelved it indefinitely. Though there was a rumors of release for sometime in 2004, so I imagine the sessions were productive to some extent. It probably would have never eclipsed their work on Low/Heroes/Lodger, anyway.
Old 07-09-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, the official U.S. release date has been announced for the Station to Station reissue by EMI America: Sept. 28. More can be found here, including more details about the contents of this release:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...ation-reissue/

I will be getting an advance copy to review (hopefully it will also be published in Goldmine), so I'll share my thoughts as soon as I can.
Old 08-21-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I finally put something up on the sound quality of this release. I got the advance a few weeks back from EMI. Here are my initial thoughts and some pictures of the advance:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...eatures-dvd-a/
Old 08-21-10, 07:10 PM
Banned by request

Awesome! I've got mine pre-ordered. Can't wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.