Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Great or critically acclaimed albums that 'should' be in your collection, but aren't?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Great or critically acclaimed albums that 'should' be in your collection, but aren't?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going through my music collection today, and realized that I don't have Illmatic by Nas. Being a big fan of rap, this is hailed as a classic, and I know I had it at one time, but don't anymore.

Another two I can think of are Outkast's oldest two albums. For some reason, I've never had them, and I think I definitely should.

Any classic albums that you feel should be in your collection, but aren't?
Old 06-24-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Great or critically acclaimed albums that 'should' be in your collection, but are

I don't have any 2pac albums, given that i'm a big fan of the old school west coast gangsta rap era, i'm surprised i don't have any
Old 06-24-10, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Great or critically acclaimed albums that 'should' be in your collection, but are

Lots--and I mean lots. Probably around 1,000 or more (yet another con to being a physical media purist). To exemplify: I have less than ten jazz or blues CDs or records, and I love both genres. I love Frank Zappa, and have only two of his albums (that's almost 100 right there if I ever felt like being a completist with his discography). It goes on and on for me.

My reasoning (or excuse, if you want to call it that) is that a lot of the so-called classics will be readily available for years to come. I have a very limited budget for recreational purchases such as CDs and records to begin with, so I spend most my money buying newer and lesser-known artists' releases that have limited runs which can go out of print sometimes even before a pre-order is finished. It's better to save that Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan CD for later when it can always be had for around $10 and get that new underground black metal CD limited to 500 copies before it's going for $100 on eBay.
Old 06-24-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own nothing by the Beatles. They're one of those bands that I can only see buying on vinyl, but I've never gotten around to it.
Old 06-24-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't care for The Eagles, or post-Syd Pink Floyd, so nothing by them. Not a fan of AC/DC, so ditto.
Old 06-24-10, 02:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a serious deficiency of Frank Sinatra in my collection.
Old 06-24-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Led Zeppelin- the only thing I own from them is the greatest hits collection Mothership. I know they're praised by many but I guess I just never got that into them.

AC/DC- can't stand this band one bit and don't own anything by them, but I know they have a couple albums that are considered classics.

Queen- I only own a greatest hits collection from them as well. I like them enough but I guess I've just never bothered to pick up any of their albums.

REM- same as Queen pretty much.

U2- the only album I own by them is War. I like them to an extent but they've never really been a favorite band of mine. I might get around to picking up a few of the classics someday (Joshua Tree, Atchung Baby, and maybe a greatest hits collection) but I'm not in a huge rush to do so.
Old 06-24-10, 04:01 AM

It seems some people are describing purported classic albums that they are happy not to have. The OP's examples, however, described classics missing from his collection that he thought he should have or did intend to get. I think that's what this thread is more supposed to be about.
Old 06-24-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesn't matter to me whether it is considered classic or not, if I don't like the artist or album, it shouldn't be in my collection.
Old 06-24-10, 07:30 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't have any of Louis Armstrong's Hot Sevens or Hot Fives. I also don't have James Brown's Live At the Apollo.
Old 06-24-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are quite a few, but it almost always comes down to their price. Catalog titles should be priced much lower.
Old 06-24-10, 09:11 AM

Exile On Main Street~Rolling Stones
Every Picture Tells A Story~Rod Stewart
Disraeli Gears~Cream
I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight~Richard and Linda Thompson
Bryter Layter~Nick Drake
Pink Moon~Nick Drake
Let It Bleed~Rolling Stones
Band On The Run~Wings
Horses~Patti Smith
Tapestry~Carole King
Damn The Torpedoes~Tom Petty
Sweet Baby James~James Taylor
Btw, when are they going to remaster this one? Anybody heard the CD when it came out? It was all hiss!
Any Hendrix album
Any Janis Joplin album
Stand Up, Benefit or Aqualung~Jethro Tull
Breakfast In America~Supertramp
Neat Neat Neat~The Damned
Zen Arcade~Husker Du
Any Zappa album
Any Pixies album except the last one (92 album)

Since the critics hated them, I don't know if Zeppelin counts, but I don't have any of that stuff at the moment.

Last edited by HUG-H; 06-24-10 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
It seems some people are describing purported classic albums that they are happy not to have. The OP's examples, however, described classics missing from his collection that he thought he should have or did intend to get. I think that's what this thread is more supposed to be about.
This is exactly what I meant. Sorry, I should have clarified.

CD's that you feel like you want, and should have in your collection...not CD's just considered classics that you don't even like.
Old 06-24-10, 10:42 AM

I really do want the ones I listed, for the record!
Old 06-24-10, 11:06 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I have no Janis Joplin.
Old 06-24-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just cause people tell me Pink Floyd or the Rolling Stones are good doesn't make it so.. Music is all about personal taste.. Some just go with what people tell them, others listen and make decisions for themselves.

I own all the albums that I think are "classic" or great. And I'm sure there are more to be discovered. But until then....
Old 06-24-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I have no banana.

Spoiler:
Old 06-24-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Just cause people tell me Pink Floyd or the Rolling Stones are good doesn't make it so.. Music is all about personal taste.. Some just go with what people tell them, others listen and make decisions for themselves.

I own all the albums that I think are "classic" or great. And I'm sure there are more to be discovered. But until then....
See post 14
Old 06-24-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I'll go one further. I've actually purchased and later sold the following iconic albums because I didn't like them:

Exiles on Main Street
OK Computer
Daydream Nation

Exiles might get a second look, but the other two, meh.
Old 06-24-10, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

OK Computer is vastly overrated. Daydream Nation is one of the best albums recorded by anyone anywhere at anytime.
Old 06-24-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own any Beatles albums despite being some of the most played tracks on my ipod. It kinda saddens me.
Old 06-24-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
My sentiments exactly. Serious request: Can someone post a list of albums that are deemed "essential" or "classic" or "great", and then we can compare notes on who has what. I'm sure I have only a few of the conventionally accepted "classics", but I'm not an adherent of mainstream tastes.
Old 06-24-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
My sentiments exactly. Serious request: Can someone post a list of albums that are deemed "essential" or "classic" or "great", and then we can compare notes on who has what. I'm sure I have only a few of the conventionally accepted "classics", but I'm not an adherent of mainstream tastes.
See post 14.

The only Judas Priest non-greatest hits album I own is Nostradamus.

I'd like to pick up some of their classic albums, but just haven't.

I'm not sure what Gabriel-era Genesis album is considered a classic, but I've wanted to pick up something for the longest time. I like both Gabriel solo work and post Gabriel Genesis, but can't recall ever hearing a Gabriel in Genesis song.
Old 06-24-10, 10:06 PM
Banned by request

Get either Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (or all three!).
Old 06-24-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by 7Keys
See post 14.
OK, then, kind of a conceptually nebulous topic, but I'll go with Beatles albums. I only have Abbey Road, but should probably have others since I like (but don't love) their music.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.