Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Listen to and critque my drumming.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been playing for about 2 years. The last 6 months Ive been playing fairly regular. Give me your honest thoughts and constructive criticism. Thanks!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fYZqdyihRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fYZqdyihRI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-10-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Listen to and critque my drumming.

1. You're awfully rigid for someone who's been playing for 2 years. Do you have a not-completely-natural sense of rhythm that keeps you from playing looser?
2. Work on some more creative fills with those toms and lay off the snare a little. You've got to get that left hand into the action more, and not just have it beatin' the 2 and 4, you know what I mean? Practice a 16 beat, where you're working the hi-hat on the 16th notes with both sticks, and hitting the snare with the right hand on the 2 and 4.
3. Try not to play things that are too fast until you're pretty darn exceptional on the slower stuff. Just like any instrument, work your way up. Don't try too much too fast, and don't try and play things that are beyond your capabilities.

Hope you took all that as constructive, because it was definitely intended to be.
Old 05-11-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
1. You're awfully rigid for someone who's been playing for 2 years. Do you have a not-completely-natural sense of rhythm that keeps you from playing looser?
2. Work on some more creative fills with those toms and lay off the snare a little. You've got to get that left hand into the action more, and not just have it beatin' the 2 and 4, you know what I mean? Practice a 16 beat, where you're working the hi-hat on the 16th notes with both sticks, and hitting the snare with the right hand on the 2 and 4.
3. Try not to play things that are too fast until you're pretty darn exceptional on the slower stuff. Just like any instrument, work your way up. Don't try too much too fast, and don't try and play things that are beyond your capabilities.

Hope you took all that as constructive, because it was definitely intended to be.
Thanks! I have very thick skin so yes everything was taken constructive. I will keep those points in mind. Im considering taking up lessons soon. In terms of needing to play looser, is that in way the music sounds, how I look while playing or both? Unfortunately I know very little in terms of musical theory, I just play by ear for the moment but am slowly learning how to read and am looking to improve in that area as soon as possible.

I feel loose while Im playing btw, and I seem to keep a rhythm well musically (at least I think so) while dancing or even in terms of athletically or doing things that require coordination.

Last edited by gmal2003; 05-11-10 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, maybe not so much play looser, but be looser, if that makes sense. The rhythm has to flow out through your hands naturally, and it really looks like your brain is telling your hands to follow something you learned in a manual.

Another thing is, you're pretty much playing at one volume throughout that video. Practice volumes, and by that I mean play quiet beats, and get progressively louder. As a drummer, you're going to have to lay back at certain points in certain songs. You won't be able to just pound out a constant rhythm all the time (although, I guess that will depend on what kind of music you're going to be playing).

Bottom line, don't just be a drummer. Be a percussionist.
Old 05-11-10, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, maybe not so much play looser, but be looser, if that makes sense. The rhythm has to flow out through your hands naturally, and it really looks like your brain is telling your hands to follow something you learned in a manual.

Another thing is, you're pretty much playing at one volume throughout that video. Practice volumes, and by that I mean play quiet beats, and get progressively louder. As a drummer, you're going to have to lay back at certain points in certain songs. You won't be able to just pound out a constant rhythm all the time (although, I guess that will depend on what kind of music you're going to be playing).

Bottom line, don't just be a drummer. Be a percussionist.
Ok cool Ill keep that point in mind as well. One last question in the "loose" thing. Is this something that resonates in the way my drumming sounds or how I looked when I play? If someone closed their eyes and listened to me play would it sound stiff? Ill remember to vary my volume.
Old 05-11-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a guitar player whose only experience with drums is programming a drum machine---to go from starting out, to where you are now in two years sounds pretty damn good to me!
Old 05-11-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, I think I can take you in Rock Band. j/k Keep up the good work. Sounds good. The Infiidel was right on with using your left hand. It looks like your thinking too much while your playing which is completely normal for someone who is starting out.
Old 05-11-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks and keep the comments coming. Ill be working on that left hand today. I'm not saying I'm not thinking too hard while playing, but the main reason why I seem to be concentrating is because I'm trying not to "embarass" myself facially as a look even more like a goofball than on this video .As far as the drums on this video I'm not thinking too much (at least I don't think I am but maybe) but I am definitely tryna not do my usual goofy faces. I really appreciate all the advice thus far and keep it coming!

Last edited by gmal2003; 05-11-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry about the goofy faces. Heck, Lars Ulrich has made a career of it!
Old 05-11-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Infidel. I can't help but think of Ronnie Vanucci from the Killers. He makes some of the weirdest faces. The first video I made I looked so goofy I made a conserted effort on this one not to look like that. I won't do that in the next video.
Old 05-11-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe that explains a little of the stiffness. Express yourself! Guitarists for years have been known for making weird faces while they play. Ever watch John Mayer? Feeling the music is what it's all about!

By the way, I didn't mean to make it sound like you're not good or anything, but...and I'll be completely honest here...it just seems like you would be a little further along after two years. That's why I questioned whether you feel your ability to keep a solid rhythm is natural or something that you've had to develop over the last couple years.

Work on experimentation. Don't worry about beats all the time, and just play around with the different parts of the kit. Get to know where everything is and how all the parts tie in to one another. Add pieces. Take some away. Tune. Detune. Make your kit your own, and develop your style.

Think of it like a car. You seem to be at the point where you know where the pedals and steering wheel are, and you just drive it from point A to point B. A racecar driver knows how the inner workings of his vehicle operate, and he knows what the car can and cannot do. He can feel the rubber on the road, and knows when to push it and when to hold back.

Your instrument, whether drums or guitar or whatever, is an extension of yourself.

Wax on, wax off.

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-11-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Naw Infidel I don't take any of these comments negative at all. I'm a bit of an optimist (which some would I'm cocky). I feel like whatever I'm doing wrong I can't change it through dedication and get better at it. I love scrutiny from myself and others. Its the only way to get better. I'm around a lot of people who tell me my drumming is good so I need to hear some criticism. As for the rhythm. I think whatever rhythm I have has not been learned but is natural. My problem may be that it hasn't progressed but plateaued. I say this because when I first started playing various drummers and musicians said I picked up the drums quickly. Unfortunately I don't think me concentrating on my face made me more stiff. I think I sound in that video the same as I do when I'm in goofy face mode. I just have to get better. Ill post a video of me without face control and let me know if u hear a difference. Again, I appreciate your feedback. Its ok lay into me .
Old 05-11-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if you're into Neil Peart or not, but check out this video, and just watch what he does. Don't try to emulate him, by any means. He's worlds ahead of any of us. But just observe some of the things he does: total tom work, a snare section (and note how he changes how he holds the stick in his left hand during one passage), a crosshand demonstration, and finally some jazz at the end. Also note that everything he does is controlled by him onstage; no prerecorded stuff, unless you count the jazz piece at the end. Every one of his limbs is operating something.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qF-k4wg70rg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qF-k4wg70rg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-11-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok thanks. I love Neil Peart. Do you think lessons would be helpful? Did u take lessons?
Old 05-11-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lessons might be helpful, but there's only so much someone can teach you before you begin playing like they do. Most of drumming is experimentation and developing your own style.

I never took lessons, unless you want to count basic rudiments learned in grade school. I taught myself and experimented a lot. I built my own set based on what kind of drummer I found I wanted to be, and how I learned my way around a kit. Pretty much everything I've posted so far has been based on my own experiences, how I view other drummers and what I read and hear about what they've learned and how they were influenced, and how I look at music in general. Music has been a big part of my life, and even though I haven't touched a drum kit for years now, I still love listening to music, talking about music, and helping other people along the road to finding their own musical center. I had aspirations to be a music teacher at one point, but I made other, not necessarily better, choices that took me away from that. Oh well.

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-11-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-11-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see. Well your help has certainly been appreciated. Im hoping I will insert these helpful points and find my own style. Right now I dont have a style. There is music that I love and want to play (alternative rock primarily) but I play with a band that is more in the lines of r&B, jazz etc. We do a little alternative experimentation now that Ive joined them.
Old 05-11-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you're on the right track. Having a good jazz background can lead you into just about any other genre with relative ease. Good luck.
Old 05-11-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the Infidel...try to relax a little more. Also try practicing with a metronome...you might even want to try out an entry electronic kit like the Roland TD-4. It has some great tools onboard for helping you develop a sense of time...like a rhythm coach and metronome.
Old 06-01-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever you do, don't take pointers from this guy...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO7xWMi0lR8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO7xWMi0lR8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-01-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lol! He doesnt sound that bad. But he looks goofy. If I closed my eyes and heard him though Id say he's pretty good.
Old 06-01-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, his beats are pretty simple, especially for a song like Sharp Dressed Man. He's all strategic flailing and fancy stickwork.
Old 06-01-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially considering that song wasn't even recorded with live drums.
Old 06-01-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Especially considering that song wasn't even recorded with live drums.
Are you talking about the band in that video, or ZZ Top's recording?
Old 06-01-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever you do, don't take pointers from this guy...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO7xWMi0lR8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WO7xWMi0lR8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Awesome!
Old 06-01-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about the band in that video, or ZZ Top's recording?
ZZ Top's. Beard only uses electronic triggers live, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.