Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone heading out to Record Store Day-4/17?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Didn't see anything started and only other thread I could find was in the DVD thread.

I'll be heading off shortly but was wondering if anyone else here was planning on checking out Record Store Day (today April 17 by the way)

Check here for stores, etc near you.
http://www.recordstoreday.com
Old 04-17-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone heading out to Record Store Day-4/17?

I wasn't able to go because of work but my uncle went and picked up the Chronic Town reissue on blue vinyl for me.
Old 04-17-10, 05:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking about stopping by Amoeba after work.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm DEFINITELY going to Amoeba after work.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-17-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went today and bought

Ramones Mania (record store day colored vinyl edition)
Rolling Stones 7 inch
Flaming Lips- Dark Side of the moon
Free Record Store Day sampler

Pretty crazy crowd today. I really wanted the new Hold Steady, but they didn't get any in.
Old 04-17-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I wasn't able to go because of work but my uncle went and picked up the Chronic Town reissue on blue vinyl for me.
That's exactly what I wanted, but my wife and daughter have been sick since Wednesday night, and I wasn't able to extract myself to drive an hour and a half to pick one up!

Also, I don't even have a record player, so it might not've been worth it to begin with. I hope it sounds great for you!
Old 04-17-10, 08:04 PM

Grabbed a Weezer EP.
Old 04-17-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Major bust for me. The store I went to only had 2 exclusives, the Deerhoof record and some DJ. I guess the employees and management picked out everything else.
Old 04-17-10, 10:22 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I picked up the Charlotte Gainsbourg 7" and that was it for me. Too bad I wasn't near the San Fran Amoeba or I could have got it signed.

The R.E.M. was sold out, but they still had tons of Springsteen and Tegan and Sara.
Old 04-18-10, 04:25 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by sauce07
Major bust for me. The store I went to only had 2 exclusives, the Deerhoof record and some DJ. I guess the employees and management picked out everything else.
Which Deerhoof record was it? Amoeba had two full length albums, but neither had the "Record Store Day" stamp on them.

I ended up getting the Smashing Pumpkins and Gogol Bordello singles, the pink vinyl re-release of EVOL (Sonic Youth), and the REM EP. I was very tempted to get the 69 Love Songs vinyl set, but I found I could get it cheaper online.

Also, for anyone who does go to Amoeba in Hollywood, looks like they'll be doing a "Garage Sale" on May 2nd and 3rd. They're promising all sorts of crazy deals.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-18-10 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing that I got, which I really wanted, was the new Nada Surf album If I Had A Hi-Fi. Up until now, it's only been available for sale at the band's recent shows, but a limited quantity were sent out as part of the Record Store Day promotion.

There were some other cool items, but personally, I though most were too overpriced to be worth picking up, despite their limited availability. $6 to $8 for a 45 and $10 to $15 for a 10" or 12" single is just too much in my book. That's a whole other full album I can get of somebody else, rather than just a song or two, no matter how cool it may look or sound. Other than that, I was less than impressed with this years offerings.

Luckily, the whole event is the brainchild of a local guy (Chris Brown) and indie music chain he works for (Bull Moose Music), so they always have lots of the product they put together for it - even if it does tend to go pretty fast. I scored a copy of each of the freebie samplers they were giving out, on both vinyl and CD.
Old 04-18-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to pick up the new Josh Ritter record, but I never made it out.
Old 04-18-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apparently Hastings participated. I got a number of Matador records albums (Iron and Wine, Belle and Sebastian) for $6.99 each.
Old 04-18-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Hit up a couple of local stores yesterday and picked up some used vinyl at 25% off. Good to fill some gaps in the collection and hopefully help out the independents.
Old 04-18-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to Schoolkid's Records and spent about $73 but didn't buy any record store day exclusives. Mastodon did an in store signing since they were in town.
Old 04-18-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DamDavila
Grabbed a Weezer EP.
I was looking for this but the stores I hit (in Canada) didn't get it
Old 04-18-10, 06:43 PM

I had a much better experience this year than last year and ended up with the three things I really wanted: the 'Chronic Town' re-issue, 4AD sampler 12" and La Roux live 7".
Old 04-18-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Don't live anywhere near one. Would really like that Weezer EP though..
Old 04-18-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figure this is just about pointless, but I'll go ahead and ask...

Any kind soul happen to get Springsteen, Beastie Boys or R.E.M. and want to part with it for a reasonable price?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-10, 01:44 PM

I went by my local record shop (Guestrrom) and picked up the Flaming Lips - Dark Side of the Moon LP. I was a little surprised that they had any left but the owner said he over ordered on that title on purpose. There are already copies sitting around $40 on E-bay.

Originally Posted by Mazje
Any kind soul happen to get Springsteen, Beastie Boys or R.E.M. and want to part with it for a reasonable price?
The problem with Record Store Day stuff is that sometimes the price goes up on items the first few days or they go down after a few days. Some things listed on E-bay now are at the highest they're going to be but others are only going to go up. It's hard to tell whether those records will actually be valuable or not.
Old 04-19-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I grabbed Plants & Animals, The Tegan & Sara exclusive and found Colin Meloy Sings for $12.
Old 04-20-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I went and ended up picking up an absurd amount of stuff - the Beastie Boys 12", the R.E.M. reissue, the Lennon Singles pack, the first Elvis single (gift), the Weezer CD (another gift) and those 12 Radiohead 12" singles that came out last year. I was carrying so much I ended up skipping a few things I'd intended to buy, like the Flaming Lips LP and the Phoenix single. My store had quite a bit of everything, though.
Old 04-20-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've discovered that some "limited" releases weren't so limited after all and are still found in plenty at my local record stores.

In fact, you can go order "Dark Side" right now from the Flaming Lips' website.
Old 04-20-10, 11:19 PM
Banned by request

You can also order 69 Love Songs from the Merge Records website, and cheaper than it was at the stores. I think a lot of the releases were early releases done for Record Store Day, and will have regular release dates after the fact.
Old 04-20-10, 11:44 PM

I'm one of those people that cant figure out why anyone would want records. Horrible things. Awkward to carry around, always falling out of the sleeve. Then its a pain if you have an adjustable pitch turntable. Which that alone is a bulky thing and having to worry about dropping the needle too fast or scratching it when you lift/drop the needle. And having to change the needle. I just find them extremely inconvenient altogether.

Then theres the horrible sound. The cracks, pops and hissing during play. Ive only had about 8 records in my life. Several of them became damaged, scratched or cracked (one I even lost somewhere between the store and parking lot after opening it to get the temp. tattoo that was inside it.) I do own one or two 7", but I only played those once and that was to record them to tape, then they got stuck away in a box with the remaining few of my records which I haven't seen in about 15 years, and probably wont see for another 15 years.

/end rant
Old 04-21-10, 02:04 AM
Banned by request

Sounds like, in your attempt to handle the vinyl with kid gloves, you ended up damaging them more than someone who handled them regularly but with respect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.