Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Roger Waters to perform The Wall on tour

Our show is tonight; heading to Atlanta soon. I'm so excited to see this thing.
Old 11-18-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I started this thread with the simple post of Waters' announcement of the show and the tour dates (man, I can't believe that was in April), and I saw the show over the weekend. Now I finally followed it up with a lengthy live review and pics, here (I will add even more pics soon, seeing as how long my footnotes are):
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010...id-production/
Old 11-18-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

No Fucking Way. Incidentally I went to the same show you did. I want to hunt down and eviscerate the fucker with the laser pointer.

Also, I have one nitpick with the show, and it's a small one. I thought "The Trial" was a little lazy in its pretty much entire reliance on animation from the movie. I still enjoyed it, but would have liked to have seen something more original.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 11-18-10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sitting here knowing I could go tonight. I'm on vacation. I could do it, but I saw him when they performed Dark Side Of The Moon a few years ago and I like that album much better. I'd go for $30... um, yeah... that's not gonna happen.
Old 11-18-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm sitting here knowing I could go tonight. I'm on vacation. I could do it, but I saw him when they performed Dark Side Of The Moon a few years ago and I like that album much better. I'd go for $30... um, yeah... that's not gonna happen.
Just go. You REALLY need to. It's worth it.
Old 11-18-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
this.
Old 11-18-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say it again. If anyone is still teetering on the idea of the Dallas show on Sunday, PM me.
Old 11-18-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Fucking Way. Incidentally I went to the same show you did. I want to hunt down and eviscerate the fucker with the laser pointer.

Also, I have one nitpick with the show, and it's a small one. I thought "The Trial" was a little lazy in its pretty much entire reliance on animation from the movie. I still enjoyed it, but would have liked to have seen something more original.
lol. One of my friend's told me about the laser pointer dude, but I never noticed. Maybe the whistling boy irritated me too much more.

Yeah, I had noticed you mentioned being there. I had to wait for my friend to share the pics, and finish the review, before I could chime in here. It's probably one of my longest single blog posts. There was just so much to say about this show.
Old 11-18-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope you went. It was incredible.
Old 11-19-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reubs82
I hope you went. It was incredible.
Cool, glad you had fun! I got a good night of sleep instead . I'm sure I would have gone had I not seen him recently.
Old 11-22-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was exactly my thought when I saw the utube clips. I am going to try to see all three LA shows though.
Old 11-22-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's how they did it at the original show in 1980.
Old 11-22-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Was it worth the $600 per ticket I was seeing for half way back on the floor?
Old 11-22-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Was it worth the $600 per ticket I was seeing for half way back on the floor?
$600? Maybe not, but $300...probably. Show what a fantastic spectacle. Amazing show, sound, pretty much everything. Being on the floor or at the back of the arena would be ideal for this show.

Here's the view from out seats:

Spoiler:

Old 11-22-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

I can't say I disagree, but the main problem I have with "The Trial" is that it really is anticlimactic in the context of a concert performance. I realize this show was much more of a theatrical experience than standard concert, but the show really does peak with Comfortably Numb/Show Must Go On/In The Flesh/Run Like Hell. After that the band and the music becomes secondary. No matter how spectacular the theater of "The Trial" is, it basically doesn't amount to much more than a guy singing along to a tape (or a guy miming to a tape, depending on who you ask).

All in all though, the show was spectacular. My experience was ruined a bit by the astronomically high "douche factor" in the arena (I longed for the days in 1999 when he played small theaters and nobody except the hardcore fans knew who Roger Waters was), but I was glad I went.
Old 11-23-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger should tour this show until he dies. I want to see it again and again and again.
Old 11-25-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone have a guess as to which date Gilmour will come out and sing Comfortably Numb?
Old 11-25-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gmanca
Anyone have a guess as to which date Gilmour will come out and sing Comfortably Numb?
Has this actually been confirmed by a reliable source or is it still just a rumour at this point?
Old 11-25-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Waters said it to a paper, if it was the context he was talking about.
Old 11-25-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, I remember hearing this as well. Where does Gilmour live now? It sounds like England would be a good guess.
Old 11-28-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Well, this was a pretty awesome show. If you want to see a band playing, this isn't the place to go. If you want to see an amazing experience, this is it. The production was top notch, the projections were incredible and precise, the sound was phenomenal. It was clear as day, the surround aspects were impressive, it was crazy how good an arena could actually sound. I'm glad I paid a bit extra for the seats I had, but I can't imagine the cheap seats being anything less than an excellent purchase as well. Merch was crazy expensive, $40 for a shirt, the crowd was mostly 20-somethings, but everyone was well behaved.

Definitely worth it.
Old 11-29-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Jippy
Has this actually been confirmed by a reliable source or is it still just a rumour at this point?
Roger and David appeared together this past summer at a fund raiser event for Palestinian children. Roger tells the whole story on his website or his Facebook page, but basically David asked Roger to play with him and do a duet of Phil Spector's "To Know Him is to Love Him," because he thought it would be funny given their past conflicts. Roger didn't want to because he felt the vocal arrangement was way out of his range at this point in his career. David convinced him to do it and promised to play at one of his shows in return. (fyi, David's wife set up a website where the whole event could be viewed online.) There was a report that this would happen at one of the US shows, but that may not be the case. I think there's only a handful of US shows left and the only "big city" venue left is LA where they are right now.

So basically, unless Roger was lying, or if David can't work out the logistics on his end, I expect that this will happen. In fact, my guess is that not only will it happen, but that the show will be recorderd and released on dvd.
Old 11-29-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

When I was reading about the event, I didn't see anywhere that said it would be in the US. Most sites speculate it will be at the London show.
Old 11-30-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw the first LA show last night. Awesome... My favorite part was the crescendo at the end of Waiting for the Worms, with the animated hammers, that led into Stop. I thought my ears were going to explode.

Spoiler question just in case-

Spoiler:
What did the guy's sign say at opening of show?

Last edited by hasslein; 11-30-10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went for $35 out the door. And great seats at that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.