Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza 2010: August 6-8 - Grant Park; Chicago, IL

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lollapalooza 2010: August 6-8 - Grant Park; Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Lollapalooza 2010: August 6-8 - Grant Park; Chicago, IL

Yesterday's viewings:

B.O.B.
The Walkmen
American Bang
Devo
Hot Chip
Lady Gaga

Heard but didn't see:
Chromeo

On my way to day two...
Old 08-08-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been a Green Day fan for 16 years and never saw them live... until tonight.

Holy shit, they blew me away with a fun filled 2 1/2 hour set.

It felt awesome to have a better view than 99% of the people there too. To know that some folks were watching from more than a football field away, yet I was only about 30 feet from the stage, made it all worth it that I got there early and held off from peeing for 5.5 hours LOL

Here's a crappy cell phone pic. Pics from a real camera (with a zoom & focus) will be on my facebook later this week and I took a bunch of HD videos too which will hit youtube later too.

Also seen today: Social Distortion, Blues Traveler, Verve Pipe, Rise Against, and a DJ set from Perry F

Tomorrow... Wolfmother, Cypress Hill and Soundgarden!

Last edited by GuessWho; 08-08-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

first come, first served

iTunes code to get a 40-pack of songs from lollapalooza bands

YE9K3F7PKJ4N
Old 08-08-10, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
first come, first served

iTunes code to get a 40-pack of songs from lollapalooza bands

YE9K3F7PKJ4N
Used.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Headed down to day 3... I'll try to get more codes (they're in the program books)
Old 08-08-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Headed down to day 3... I'll try to get more codes (they're in the program books)
Interested to hear how Soundgarden was.
Old 08-08-10, 10:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

So I read a review on spinner about the Gaga show, saying that she basically imported her entire Monster's Ball stage show to Lolla and blew the crowd away. Somewhere in the middle of her set, seeing her performance as something of a triumph, she said that 3 years ago she played on one of the side stages...playing basically the same songs, and that no one cared. I guess implying that we weren't cool back then when we thought nothing of her. Then I saw videos of the Stokes doing a less is more set that was tight as hell...and kinda realized that no one cared about Gaga three years ago because those 'same songs' kinda suck without a broadway musical behind her. Just venting I guess.

Also interested to hear how Soundgarden was. Anyone go to their show? Or did everyone head over to the Arcade Fire?
Old 08-09-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't find any more codes. Sorry.

I've uploaded some of my pics...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=222d7299f6

Soundgarden's sound was SPOT ON. The guitar and bass grunge crunch sounded just like it did back in the day. And Chris' voice... perfect.

However, judging by the crowd, show was a bit boring in comparison to who had the same stage the other 2 nights, Lady Gaga and Green Day. Whereas they had full arena-style stage shows, Soundgarden just stood still and played. Played the hell outta the songs, mind you. But... by the end of the show, only half of the fans were still there. The others went home or abandoned Soundgarden to go see Arcade Fire.
Old 08-11-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by david12
So I read a review on spinner about the Gaga show, saying that she basically imported her entire Monster's Ball stage show to Lolla and blew the crowd away. Somewhere in the middle of her set, seeing her performance as something of a triumph, she said that 3 years ago she played on one of the side stages...playing basically the same songs, and that no one cared. I guess implying that we weren't cool back then when we thought nothing of her. Then I saw videos of the Stokes doing a less is more set that was tight as hell...and kinda realized that no one cared about Gaga three years ago because those 'same songs' kinda suck without a broadway musical behind her. Just venting I guess.
Yeah, I'd say that's more of a condemnation of the music and underscores the fact that the crowds are there because she's trendy. Weird thing to point out to your audience.