Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Sugar - Because Pop Rocks

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

You've gotta love this, "Story"...

80’S METAL BAND “ROCK SUGAR” RESCUED AFTER 20 YEARS ON DESERTED ISLAND. BRAINWASHED AND CONFUSED, ROCKERS RETURN TO HOLLYWOOD WITH A SHOCKING NEW MUSICAL STYLE.

1989 should have been the best year ever for Rock Sugar, the big haired heavy metal band that had just broken the top 41 on the rock radio charts with their solid brass debut album “Bang You Like A Drum”. But instead of headlining concerts, Rock Sugar made the headlines when they were presumed lost forever after playing an extremely ill advised gig celebrating the bat mitzvah of 13-year-old Lisa Rosenberg.

The show was performed miles out to sea aboard the private luxury yacht of Lisa’s father, schnapps millionaire Schlomo Rosenberg. Assuming that Rock Sugar was some innocent boy band, Schlomo had no idea who they actually were or what they actually sounded like. He only knew from his extremely spoiled daughter that they were “really cute” and he figured that must mean she would love their music. She didn’t, and judging from the stunned expressions on their faces, neither did her prepubescent little friends.

Shortly after the chorus of Rock Sugar’s second song “Nail You Like A Hammer”, a drunken and violent brawl broke out involving the band, the rabbi, a clown, the captain, a guy in an Smurf costume, Schlomo and well over a hundred infuriated and now thoroughly sexually confused children. In the midst of the fight, as Jesse, the lead singer, was pummeling the Smurf and no one was steering the damned ship anymore, it struck an undersea stone wall. As the boat was sinking, the extremely unhappy and now yacht less Schlomo refused to let Rock Sugar climb aboard the life rafts to safety.

Having been denied rescue, the band credit their miraculous ability to make it to the shore alive only because of their firmly held belief that “sharks don’t eat metal”. Left to their own extremely questionable survival skills, Rock Sugar managed to salvage several items from the sunken yacht. In addition to their instruments, they retrieved a hot pink battery powered boom box covered with stickers of Hello Kitty, a crate of batteries, 158 cases of schnapps and numerous articles of teenage girls clothing, most of which the band admit to trying on and several pieces of which apparently fit and looked “pretty frickin’ awesome”. But things got worse when the horrified rockers discovered that the only music available for them to listen to was little Lisa Rosenberg’s very pop, very 13 year-old girl’s, very ‘80’s CD collection.

And so, the hardcore degenerate heavy metal members of Rock Sugar spent the last two decades stuck on an island with nothing to do but drink schnapps, catch hard to digest wildlife, befriend monkeys and dream of their long lost groupies while listening only to, and being slowly and systematically brainwashed by, every favorite pop song of a 1980’s preteen girl. Bored, full of schnapps and wasting away on a tropical oasis, they built a stage out of driftwood, bamboo shoots and tree sap and got to work. Against the odds, Rock Sugar was alive… and they were practicing.

Fast forward twenty years when a tuna boat with a screwed up compass discovered a group of long haired castaways on a deserted island far out in the middle of the Pacific. Finally rescued and now violently thrown back into the real life of present day Los Angeles, and with absolutely no clue whatsoever of anything that’s happened, developed or changed in the world since 1989, Rock Sugar is back and ready to electrify audiences with their brand new, razor sharp, psychotically original sound.

The first twenty years of their lives spent listening to heavy metal followed by a twenty year forced diet of little girl pop, their own influences have permanently collided with the unknowingly very influential 13-year-old Lisa Rosenberg. And now Rock Sugar is performing “re-imaginings” of the world’s favorite songs in ways that the world has never even dreamed of. Twenty years of what started with a shipwreck and turned into history’s longest reluctant rehearsal has paid off and the band, as well as the wild originality of what they have created, are beyond belief or explanation.

But while you may be able to at last take the metal band off the deserted island, apparently you can’t take 20 years of exposure to 80’s pop out of the metal band. Prepare to have the line between pop and metal blown to smithereens and pour yourself a shot of Rock Sugar.

Because Pop Rocks.
Classic! And you know what? The album's actually pretty darned good.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKeA3-n27t8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKeA3-n27t8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The album's just a lot of fun - really entertaining. I liked it so much I wrote a review... http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...lay&thread=147

Short version of the review - the album is a lot of fun, and most of the combinations work really well. Even though they're obviously a novelty act the guys can play and sing well and that's what makes the album work (that and some great arrangements).
Old 02-06-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Rock Sugar - Because Pop Rocks

Ha, I'm sold. Just ordered a copy of the cd.
Old 02-07-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

So, to condense a page-long story into 4 words... it's a mash-up band. I dig it.

Check out the Broadway cast recording of "Rock of Ages" for some good song combinations there too. Great, fun show.

(BTW, Rock Sugar should've been stranded in 1991 if they were going to be influenced by Enter Sandman)

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-07-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Awesome. I just bought myself a copy too.
Old 02-07-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting! Must be a blast live! I'd like to see straight covers of these songs rather than mashups, but still nice.

http://www.myspace.com/rocksugar
Old 02-07-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The album's just a lot of fun - really entertaining. I liked it so much I wrote a review... http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...lay&thread=147
oh, coming from someone who used to write reviews of bands/albums for a fanzine: that's a very good, well written review.
Old 02-07-10, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds awesome. I'll order a copy as well.

Edit: If I can find where to order it from? They're not on Amazon.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-07-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-07-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a paypal link on their website. VERY expensive though. $22 once postage is included! Ouch!
Old 02-07-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
oh, coming from someone who used to write reviews of bands/albums for a fanzine: that's a very good, well written review.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

I do find it interesting that this seems to be available only through their website as the production values on the album are so good, and the video looks so professional. I wonder if they will distribute it through Amazon and other e-tailers and retailers later on.
Old 02-07-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Thanks! I appreciate that.

I do find it interesting that this seems to be available only through their website as the production values on the album are so good, and the video looks so professional. I wonder if they will distribute it through Amazon and other e-tailers and retailers later on.
They got to be a fairly new band. Their myspace is listed as starting in 11/09 and if you go to their website, and click on "shows", there's no shows listed. Nor are there shows listed when you try to click on the "shows archive" link.

Production is VERY strong on this. They probably are big time studio musicians and have a ton of money behind them from their label, manager, or whatnot.

Either way, if I hear they're playing LA anytime soon, I'll probably make the trip up there.
Old 02-08-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like it because it's loud, well produced, & rockin'. And fun. I just wish they were straight cover versions rather than mash ups. "Jesse's Girl" is amazing and would be even better if it was the whole song all the way through.
Old 02-08-10, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Not trying to threadcrap, but what is the use in a release like this? I enjoy mash-ups, but I don't care to see (or hear) a live recreation of a mash-up, except by DJ. I mean, it's really just a band singing the wrong words in the right place. They sound alright, but they are simply a cover band. I just don't get it, I guess. And when I first saw the thread and heard/saw the clip, I was shocked at how much people here like this!! I thought that this would be the last crowd to dig it, as there are many music "purists" 'round these parts. I thought the band would be ripped apart in this forum, lol!

OK, I'm done. Sorry; hope I didn't offend.

Because it's fun, played well, and shows a sense of humor?
Old 02-08-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Not trying to threadcrap, but what is the use in a release like this? I enjoy mash-ups, but I don't care to see (or hear) a live recreation of a mash-up, except by DJ. I mean, it's really just a band singing the wrong words in the right place. They sound alright, but they are simply a cover band. I just don't get it, I guess. And when I first saw the thread and heard/saw the clip, I was shocked at how much people here like this!! I thought that this would be the last crowd to dig it, as there are many music "purists" 'round these parts. I thought the band would be ripped apart in this forum, lol!

OK, I'm done. Sorry; hope I didn't offend.
Ummm...cause it is a hell of a lot more interesting, sounds a ton better and takes far more talent to do what they did than what a DJ does?

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I like it because it's loud, well produced, & rockin'. And fun. I just wish they were straight cover versions rather than mash ups. "Jesse's Girl" is amazing and would be even better if it was the whole song all the way through.
Well, if it were straight up covers, what would be interesting about that? I despise most covers but this actually held my interest and makes the songs sound a little fresh. How would just rehashing the same songs be better?

I would also buy their album but 22 bucks for a cd doesn't really fly nowadays. If it was $15 or less, I would buy it.
Old 02-08-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm sold.
Old 02-08-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised at how much I like that song.

I wish the album was available on iTunes or Amazon MP3.
Old 02-08-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Well, if it were straight up covers, what would be interesting about that?
Many people think rockin' versions of cover songs are interesting. As someone who DJ'd quite a bit (and by "DJ", I mean played records), I'd get a ton of "who is that covering this?!?!" when playing covers songs like Throwdown's version of "Baby Got Back".

I especially like a good song that has been beefed up with louder guitars.
Old 02-09-10, 01:53 AM
Banned by request

Ummm...cause it is a hell of a lot more interesting, sounds a ton better and takes far more talent to do what they did than what a DJ does?
Actually, creating really good mash-ups as a DJ is not at all an easy thing.
Old 02-09-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually, creating really good mash-ups as a DJ is not at all an easy thing.
Yeah, I can see how using someone else's music is really difficult.
Old 02-09-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm no DJ and strictly a hobbyist musician (since I was 5, but still), but thinking about taking two recordings and matching tempo, key, style, and tone in a way that sounds fresh and/or pleasing sounds like a freakin' nightmare to me. I'd much rather pick up a guitar and bass and throw my own spin on it.
Old 02-09-10, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, I can see how using someone else's music is really difficult.
Do me a favor. Try and make a couple of mash-ups using two turntables and a mixer. Let me know how far along you get on that.
Old 02-09-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Do me a favor. Try and make a couple of mash-ups using two turntables and a mixer. Let me know how far along you get on that.
I would but I have no interest in stealing other people's music and calling it original.
Old 02-09-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

I never understood why "vs" is used
Old 02-12-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
So, to condense a page-long story into 4 words... it's a mash-up band. I dig it.

Check out the Broadway cast recording of "Rock of Ages" for some good song combinations there too. Great, fun show.

(BTW, Rock Sugar should've been stranded in 1991 if they were going to be influenced by Enter Sandman)
Good call on Rock of Ages, by the way. I wound up ordering that cd as well.
Old 02-13-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would also buy their album but 22 bucks for a cd doesn't really fly nowadays. If it was $15 or less, I would buy it.
The problem is that they've got 32 or so songs to pay publishing fees for. That ain't cheap, and it doesn't leave them much for themselves (even at $22 or so).

Which is another reason why they should do a straight cover album next time and beef up those Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Loverboy songs!
Old 02-19-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I bought this as well. Wow this is good stuff!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.