Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Slade

Old 02-02-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slade

Any fans of slade out there? I never really listened to them before but I started to recently. Any particular favorite albums? I'm listening to slayed.
Old 02-03-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Slade

I've got two Slade albums - Slayed? and Whatever Happened to Slade?

Both are great albums and I did full reviews for them

http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...lay&thread=142

http://www.vistarecords.proboards.co...lay&thread=107

Slayed? is more of a Glam/Hard Rock album, whereas Whatever Happened To is more of a straightforward Hard Rock album. They're both really, really good, and I highly recommend them.

I'm going to pick up a few more Slade albums in the next couple of months...
Old 02-03-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love early Slade. First heard Slayed? playing in a record store in summer of '73 and bought it. Went back and picked up Slade Alive. These were on Polydor. Then Warner Bros. picked them up for U.S. distribution and Sladest was released in fall of '73. Sladest collected all their big non-lp singles from the U.K. on one album. The next new release(1974) had same cover but different titles in US/UK. In the US it was called Stomp Your Hands And Clap Your Feet. Can't remember the UK title but the UK title is used for thecd title. I didn't care for it and never purchased any more of their releases, lost interest. I still own Alive, Slayed and Sladest on cd and listen occasionally. A two disc cd has been released of all the non-lp B sides. Only the first third of this collection is from the early period(pre-74) in which I like them.
Old 02-03-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dock them one point for being at least partially responsible for the success of Quiet Riot.
Old 02-03-10, 09:57 AM

I love Slade. I once did a one-off, Christmas gig (complete with Slade covers) where we called our band "Sleighed".
Old 02-03-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
A two disc cd has been released of all the non-lp B sides. Only the first third of this collection is from the early period(pre-74) in which I like them.
To me they're kind of like The Sweet in that way, sort of lost it in the later 70s with me. They were around in the 60s as the N Betweens and their first album from 1969 "Beginnings" they're called Ambrose Slade. Haven't heard it yet but guessing a different sound a bit.
Old 02-03-10, 04:23 PM
Banned by request

Is this the band that does "Ballroom Blitz"? Because I love that song.
Old 02-03-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no that's (The) Sweet.
Old 02-03-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Is this the band that does "Ballroom Blitz"? Because I love that song.
sweet, another glam rock band

here's their most popular songs

Noddy the singer kind of reminds me of the Leperchaun a bit. Think the leperchaun owes some royalties.

Last edited by statcat; 02-03-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whatever Happened To Slade is one of the more underrated Hard Rock albums of the 70's...

Old 02-04-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Track down a copy of "Slade In Flame" - a movie released in 1974. Well worth watching. From Amazon.co.uk ...

"A true indication of 1970s rock excess was for a band to make their own movie, and UK based glam pop outfit Slade were no exception to the rule. Enjoying phenomenal success in their native country at the time, the band settled on making SLADE IN FLAME, a semi-autobiographical account of the rock & roll life. What makes the film so fascinating (and is no doubt responsible for the sizeable cult that surrounds the movie) are the often brutal scenes of authenticity that pervade throughout. The story concerns a mythical band played by the four members of Slade. It charters their rise and fall, whilst taking time to highlight the pressures and the pitfalls that so often beset bands. The enduring message of the film is that fame can be enjoyable, but at huge personal cost. A true one-off in the field of '70s rock movies, SLADE IN FLAME offers a message that still rings true in the contemporary music world."
Old 02-04-10, 10:46 PM
cck

Great, great song.

Old 02-05-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Keep Your Hands off My Powersuply" was a good comeback album from the 80's which included the singles "Run Run Away" and "My O My"

Last edited by cactusoly; 02-08-10 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently picked up Keep yor hands off my power suply and Slayed at a used record shop ... I enojyed listening to them. I would not consider them the greatest band ever by any stretch, but they have some good tunes.
Old 02-21-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cactusoly View Post
"Keep Your Hands off My Powersuply" was a good comeback album from the 80's which included the singles "Run Run Away" and "My O My"
One of my most spun records in the 80's.