Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Geez, Jay Reatard is dead.

Old 01-13-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Geez, Jay Reatard is dead.

Memphis musician Jimmy Jay Lindsey Jr., better known as Jay Reatard, was found dead in his Midtown home this morning, according to family and friends. He was 29.

Memphis police have opened a death investigation, spokesman Jennifer Robinson said. Lindsey was found around 3:30 a.m. at his home, Robinson said.

"Yeah, it’s true," said Alicja Trout, a friend and former bandmate. "I don’t know much about it yet, because I haven’t been able to get in touch with the police."

Added Eric Friedl of Goner Records: "Yeah. He was found at his house. That’s all I know right now."

On the Web site of Goner Records, Lindsey's former label, the following statement was posted this afternoon: "It is with great sadness that we report the passing of our good friend Jay Reatard. Jay died in his sleep last night. We will pass along information about funeral arrangements when they are made public."

Lindsey emerged on the Memphis music scene as the leader of late-'90s punk outfit The Reatards. He and Trout co-fronted the cult-favorite synth-punk act Lost Sounds in the early '00s. More recently, Lindsey had risen to international prominence in indie-rock circles on the strength of his recent solo releases. After a string of hot-selling singles on New York-based indie label Matador Records, he released the full-length album Watch Me Fall on Matador last August.
Old 01-13-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Geez, Jay Reatard is dead.

I wasn't a huge fan, but I did enjoy Blood Visions and had the chance to see him live once. Pretty crazy though.
Old 01-13-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

damn, guess i'll finally listen to "watch me fall"
Old 01-13-10, 05:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Goner records, lol.
Old 01-13-10, 08:17 PM

Damn, I really enjoyed what I heard of his Matador stuff, was going to see him live but from what I heard it wouldn't have been worth it as he only played like 30-45 minutes, still I wish I saw him upon hearing this news.
Old 01-13-10, 09:31 PM

Is it bad that the first thing we think of when a rock star dies is that it is drug related. Now, I won't be shocked if it comes back that this was an overdose, but I just talked to a friend said he heard that Reatard had been fighting the flu for a few days.

Wasn't really a fan, but never really gave him a good listen. Either way, this suck because he was different, and indie, and his shows were f'n chaos from what I've heard (45 minutes or now).
Old 01-13-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-13-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really a shame -- I've only checked out a little of his stuff but liked what I heard and always had him on my "to check out more" list. He really had a lot more potential in him.
Old 01-13-10, 11:12 PM
Banned by request

It's a shame I hadn't heard of him before today. I'm listening to his stuff now and like a lot of it.
Old 01-13-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasn't really a fan but I saw him open for the Pixies about a month ago and he wasn't too bad. Sad news for his fans and family.
Old 01-13-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I saw him at a festival about two years ago. I wish I could remember anything about the performance.
Old 01-14-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Supremely talented. This is a huge loss.
Old 02-03-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cause of death announced:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ty-alcohol-de/

Cocaine and alcohol. Guy had some real talent - I've been listening to and digging Matador Singles '08 a lot lately - what a shame he had to go out like such a fucking cliche.