Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Old 01-01-10, 01:55 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

On some albums, if you rewind the cd, you get a hidden song. I was wondering if there was a special way of getting these songs on to itunes or windows media player?
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 04:22 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

What are some CD's that include a "rewind to find" song?
UAIOE is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 07:21 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Blur's "Think Tank".
DonnachaOne is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 10:53 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
What are some CD's that include a "rewind to find" song?
the only 2 i can think of are Flyleaf's new one, and Dog Fashion Disco's "Commited to a Bright Future"
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 12:13 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

This is a good question. I was just making a blur mix and wondering this myself.
auto is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 01:17 PM
  #6  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Wikipedia has a list of albums with them.

Looking around, it seems that you can record them with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) ripping software, though even that may be dependent on your drive - some drives simply won't read that information.

Here's a guide to ripping them. I haven't tried it myself.

Last edited by sb5; 01-01-10 at 03:11 PM.
sb5 is offline  
Old 01-01-10, 06:43 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Rewind a cd.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 04:51 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by sb5 View Post
Wikipedia has a list of albums with them.
Well, I only ever owned "Transistor" by 311 out of that list.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 10:29 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Interesting list. It's strange that I was actually thinking about this very topic the other day even though I thought I didn't have any cds that did it.

I was working in a music store during college in the early 90's when the first album that had this "extra" came in. It was a promo copy of Tab Benoit's album "What I Live For" (which is odd that it is not on that list) and it actually came with instructions on how to hear the hidden track and stated that the regular album would have this "technology." I believe it was a short interview with Benoit instead of an actual songs but it has been over 15 years since then so I don't remember exactly what it was.

I do remember we all agreed that it was pretty dumb but then proceeded to try to rewind other cds at the begin to see if we could be the first to discover another album that hadn't been announced with this feature but never had any luck and was a severe waste of time. I could have sworn the only other album to do this that we got later was a Willie Nelson album (which also isn't on that wiki list) that came out around the same time 1994) but can't swear to it.

I actually own the Ben Folds and David Gray albums and will have to give them a try.

Now what I really need to know is an easy way on how to record "hidden" songs at the end of albums without all that time between them on my iTunes. The instructions given above seem extensive and I just wanted to deal with iTunes. How can you stop a track that is burning to iTunes without have to record the whole 20 minutes? (i.e. Nirvana's "Something In The Way")

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-02-10 at 10:34 AM.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 01:00 PM
  #10  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,327
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
Now what I really need to know is an easy way on how to record "hidden" songs at the end of albums without all that time between them on my iTunes. The instructions given above seem extensive and I just wanted to deal with iTunes. How can you stop a track that is burning to iTunes without have to record the whole 20 minutes? (i.e. Nirvana's "Something In The Way")
It's easy, but does take a bit of effort.

BEFORE you import the CD that has a track that contains two songs, listen to it and write down the time when the first song ends. Then write down the time when the second song starts.
Right-click the track, and select Get Info. Then select the Options tab.
Change the Stop Time to the time you wrote down for the end of the first song, then select OK.
Import the whole CD.
Then, while still looking at the CD view, remove the check-mark beside each track except the one that contains two songs.
Right-click the track, and select Get Info. Then select the Options tab.
Erase the number in the Stop Time (it will default to the end of the track if this field is empty), and enter the Start Time as the time you wrote down for the beginning of the second (hidden) song, then select OK.
Change the name of the track to whatever you want (I usually use "(hidden)")
Import, and only that track will be imported, this time, just the second song.

When done, for housekeeping's sake, I always go back into the track info for that CD and fix any changes that I made (ie: Start and Stop Times, track name, etc.)

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, once I have all the songs (and hidden song) imported to iTunes, I'll change the track number of the hidden song (ie: if the last official song was #11, I'd change the hidden song to #12). Then, I'll change ALL the tracks' info so they are #x of 12 instead of #x of 11.

Last edited by Dan; 01-02-10 at 01:02 PM.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 01:12 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

I think I have a CD that isn;t on that list. Crystal Method's first CD "Vegas" has a hidden intro to "Comin' Back" that only plays when you "rewind" or let the song before it play to the finish. But I guess it isn't really hidden unless you skip to track 5 or put the CD on random play.
UAIOE is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 01:21 PM
  #12  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,327
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

^That type of thing is mentioned in the list, but only one CD seems to be listed with that type of track:
Dream Theater
Octavarium - Several tracks feature additional pregap content before the music of the song starts.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-02-10, 09:16 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
It's easy, but does take a bit of effort.

BEFORE you import the CD that has a track that contains two songs, listen to it and write down the time when the first song ends. Then write down the time when the second song starts.
Right-click the track, and select Get Info. Then select the Options tab.
Change the Stop Time to the time you wrote down for the end of the first song, then select OK.
Import the whole CD.
Then, while still looking at the CD view, remove the check-mark beside each track except the one that contains two songs.
Right-click the track, and select Get Info. Then select the Options tab.
Erase the number in the Stop Time (it will default to the end of the track if this field is empty), and enter the Start Time as the time you wrote down for the beginning of the second (hidden) song, then select OK.
Change the name of the track to whatever you want (I usually use "(hidden)")
Import, and only that track will be imported, this time, just the second song.

When done, for housekeeping's sake, I always go back into the track info for that CD and fix any changes that I made (ie: Start and Stop Times, track name, etc.)

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, once I have all the songs (and hidden song) imported to iTunes, I'll change the track number of the hidden song (ie: if the last official song was #11, I'd change the hidden song to #12). Then, I'll change ALL the tracks' info so they are #x of 12 instead of #x of 11.
Cool. Thanks for the detailed info. I will definitely try it.

My other option is that I have a stand alone cd to cd burner from the late 90's (don't know if they still make those anymore) and was going to have to burn the song at regular speed and stop it when it ends while listening to it.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 01-11-10, 03:59 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,214
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I was working in a music store during college in the early 90's when the first album that had this "extra" came in. It was a promo copy of Tab Benoit's album "What I Live For" (which is odd that it is not on that list) and it actually came with instructions on how to hear the hidden track and stated that the regular album would have this "technology." I believe it was a short interview with Benoit instead of an actual songs but it has been over 15 years since then so I don't remember exactly what it was.
It's funny you mentioned that because before I clicked on the Wikipedia link I thought "I bet they don't have the Tab Benoit CD listed." It was an interview and not a song, and the release CD does have a note on the back. Sadly my car audio-player refuses to play it. I can rewind through it, but when I stop rewinding it jumps to the first song so I haven't heard it in 15 years.
Mordred is offline  
Old 01-11-10, 08:01 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,460
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I think I have a CD that isn;t on that list. Crystal Method's first CD "Vegas" has a hidden intro to "Comin' Back" that only plays when you "rewind" or let the song before it play to the finish. But I guess it isn't really hidden unless you skip to track 5 or put the CD on random play.
Which imported just fine into itunes, at least for me.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 01-11-10, 10:28 PM
  #16  
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,001
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

The pregaps that are in between tracks aren't the problem - those rip fine. It's the rare pregap before Track 1 that the OP was having problems with.
sb5 is offline  
Old 01-11-10, 10:42 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Re: ways of getting 'pre gap' songs onto itunes?

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
^That type of thing is mentioned in the list, but only one CD seems to be listed with that type of track:
the thing with Octavium, the pain in the ass when ripping that album, if you don't want the "in between songs" which is mostly random noises and shit like that, you have to time it where you can delete the moment the regular song ends
Rypro 525 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.