Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Extreme Musical Performers (Artists/Groups)

Old 12-29-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extreme Musical Performers (Artists/Groups)

So, I have been deep into a hardcore punk phase as of late, which made me finally decide to give GG Allin a try after hearing about but avoiding him for many years. While I don't like most of his music, I must say that all the stories about his performances were certainly no lies or exaggerations.

I've watched a few of his shows now, and they are just wild and nutty, to say the least! Oh, a quick story for everyone. Last night, I introduced a friend of mine and her boyfriend to the documentary Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies. My friend ... not sure if she'll ever watch anything with GG again. She was OK for most of the movie, but then GG shit onstage at a show. She was keeping her composure until she saw him bend down to eat it, at which point she got up, walked into the entryway of the room and started gagging. She was close - real close - to throwing up right there. Then she regained herself and walked back in - only to look up and see GG running around with shit smeared all over his face, which made her almost throw up again.

I can't think of another performer that can rival how extreme GG's shows were, but I am wise enough to know that my knowledge base is very limited. So, I figured I would open things up here.

Who would you put up there as some of the most extreme performers or groups, past or present? Why?

Last edited by clckworang; 12-29-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Extreme Musical Performers (Artists/Groups)

COUM Transmissions. Two words: blood enemas
Old 12-29-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gwar anyone?
Old 12-29-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gwar is theatrics. GG Allin was the real thing. He passed out at a party... or so people thought. He had actually died. It took a day for people to notice.

There was a band called Rockbitch in the 90s that used to throw a Golden Condom on stage. It meant you could have sex with one (or more) of the bandmembers if you caught it.
Old 12-29-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
Gwar anyone?
GG Alin would shit on stage & then throw it at the fans. Gwar is Sesame Street in comparison.
Old 12-29-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Gwar is theatrics. GG Allin was the real thing. He passed out at a party... or so people thought. He had actually died. It took a day for people to notice.

There was a band called Rockbitch in the 90s that used to throw a Golden Condom on stage. It meant you could have sex with one (or more) of the bandmembers if you caught it.
He's probably lucky they found him so quick. By all accounts, GG smelled so bad that the odor of his rotting corpse probably wouldn't have raised any eyebrows.

Never heard of Rockbitch, but that's a pretty funny contest.
Old 12-29-09, 05:10 PM
Banned by request

Iggy Pop used to cut himself with glass and smear peanut butter on himself when playing with The Stooges.

Yamatsuka Eye of the Boredoms had a band called Hanatarash. He would perform with giant circular blades attached to the backs of his legs, and whenever he walked they would cut into the top half of his leg.
Old 12-29-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard of The Boredoms but never actually listened to them. I should check them out.

I guess The Germs could probably be placed in the same category as Iggy Pop. Well, at least the original incarnation of The Germs, not sure about the Shane West-led version.
Old 12-29-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the adoration for GG Allin. After watching the documentary, all I saw was someone who was self-centered, had no morals, operated with the mind of a 5 year old, and who's music was plain awful. The only thing he had going for him was the relative unpredictability of his live shows, which mostly revolved around him finger-fucking his or his bandmate's asses, while flinging shit at his crowds.
Old 12-29-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Yamatsuka Eye of the Boredoms had a band called Hanatarash. He would perform with giant circular blades attached to the backs of his legs, and whenever he walked they would cut into the top half of his leg.
Damn! That's metal.
Old 12-29-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I first saw the title of this thread, I was expecting to read about this:

Old 12-29-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would Varg Vikernes work for this thread?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes
Varg Vikernes (Norwegian pronunciation: [ˈvarɡ ˈviːkeɳes]; born 11 February 1973 near Bergen, Norway) is a Norwegian black metal musician, convicted murderer and arsonist, and former far-right political activist. In 1991 Vikernes conceived the one-man music project Burzum, which quickly became popular within the early Norwegian black metal scene. In 1992 he joined the band Mayhem and adopted the stage name Count Grishnackh. Around this time he became affiliated with the Heathen Front and authored several underground writings on Germanic neopaganism.[1] In Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, director Sam Dunn described Vikernes as "the most notorious metal musician of all time".
Old 12-29-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It begins and ends with GG Allin.
Old 12-30-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I don't understand the adoration for GG Allin. After watching the documentary, all I saw was someone who was self-centered, had no morals, operated with the mind of a 5 year old, and who's music was plain awful. The only thing he had going for him was the relative unpredictability of his live shows, which mostly revolved around him finger-fucking his or his bandmate's asses, while flinging shit at his crowds.
You won't get too much argument from me, although I think you underestimate his intelligence. I have a feeling many people did. Like I said, there are some songs that I like but not too many. I think some are pretty vile, but that doesn't mean that I can't get a laugh out of watching a wild, out of control show. It's similar to turning to see a car crash on the road, only I don't tend to laugh at car crashes.

Poo on me =
Poo on others =

I think the adoration stems from the danger and unpredictability that GG represented more than any of his music.

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
When I first saw the title of this thread, I was expecting to read about this:

I couldn't decide what to name the thread! I considered "shocking musical performers," but I don't think that's quite right, either. I mean, Madonna was considered shocking at one time, but she certainly wouldn't fit in this thread.
Old 12-30-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I couldn't decide what to name the thread! I considered "shocking musical performers," but I don't think that's quite right, either. I mean, Madonna was considered shocking at one time, but she certainly wouldn't fit in this thread.
Don't be so quick. I think part of her stage show was flinging poo at the audience during the "Sticky & Sweet Tour". She called it "the music"
Old 12-30-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
Don't be so quick. I think part of her stage show was flinging poo at the audience during the "Sticky & Sweet Tour". She called it "the music"
Oh, shit. MadonnasManOne is going to be upset.
Old 12-31-09, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darby Crash of the Germs
Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols