Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How will this decade be remembered music wise?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

How will this decade be remembered music wise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 05:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: How will this decade be remembered music wise?

Originally Posted by Decker
The real bottom line is that this was a decade without a universal identity, at least in the world of Rock music. I look at people's list of the "Best Albums of the Decade" and I have to laugh. I haven't even heard of half these artists and I subscribe to three music magazines. Not that the music isn't good, but there no longer seems to be a communal aspect to rock and popular music. Remember how everyone was so shocked about Michael Jackson's death? Part of that was because he was from an era where music was far more universal; everyone either had his album or at least knew it really well. Those days seem to be gone.

When I say "50's Music?" to you, you say "Elvis. Buddy Holly. Chuck Berry"
60s? -- Beatles, Stones, Dylan, The Who
70s? -- Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John
80s? -- Michael Jackson, Police, Prince, Madonna, Early U2, REM
90s? -- Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Beck, Green Day

What about this decade? Coldplay? Radiohead? I don't know. Nothing really springs to mind as being decade-defining music. And I don't think that's just a lack of perspective; it's really a change in the Rock music scene.
Radiohead is probably the closest to a universal band of the 00's.
Old 12-04-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Radiohead is probably the closest to a universal band of the 00's.
Yeah, I'd probably agree with that. And yet, if you asked 10 people on the street to name even one Radiohead song, I'd bet seven of them couldn't do it. They're brilliant, but they're far from the huge commercial successes that previous "Aritsts of the Decades" are.
Old 12-04-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

^^ the problem is Radiohead isn't as popular (mainstream popular) as all the bands Decker listed.

I would say Coldplay, The Killers, Kanye West, Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake are the ones that come to mind as the "ones" of the '00's

Last edited by Chrisedge; 12-04-09 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added Justin
Old 12-04-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'd probably agree with that. And yet, if you asked 10 people on the street to name even one Radiohead song, I'd bet seven of them couldn't do it. They're brilliant, but they're far from the huge commercial successes that previous "Aritsts of the Decades" are.
And the 3 that do know one would answer "Creep"...they just aren't popular enough to make a list like you have above...
Old 12-04-09, 05:57 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
^^ the problem is Radiohead isn't as popular (mainstream popular) as all the bands Decker listed.

I would say Coldplay, The Killers, Kanye West, Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake are the ones that come to mind as the "ones" of the '00's
The Killers? Really? It's a sad list anyway, but I don't think The Killers are really big enough to be on it.
Old 12-04-09, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
To be fair London Calling came out in 1979. The 80s did suck mostly, you should of picked combat rock as the example 80's clash album which would've demonstrated that. Still it was a better decade musically than the 00's.
How can you say that?
Underground goth music.
The Euro pop scene.
Underground Metal music. And the pop and hair metal bands.
You had all kinds of music to keep everybody happy in the 80's.
Old 12-04-09, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Well talking POPULAR music, '00s were awful. '90s were almost as bad. I don't know when music got so "gay" or how it got that way, but it's horrendous.

I would hesitate to even call it "music". Forgetable wannabe random "soulful" "singing" over random drum beats and handclaps is hardly "music".
I agree 100%! It's like blacks stopped knowing how to sing soulful or play instruments.
Old 12-04-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Killers? Really? It's a sad list anyway, but I don't think The Killers are really big enough to be on it.
They have had decent enough success (Checking charts/awards on wiki) plus they are the "leader" of the FalloutboyTheBraveryPanicAtTheDisco type bands...(I think they are head and shoulders more talented than any of the others)

Plus lots of folks KNOW of them, (Guitar Hero/Rock Band) and they represent a flashback kinda sound that someone listed earlier in the thread...

You could add in Radiohead or NIN the same way that Beck is listed under the 90's. More critically acclaimed that "popular"...
Old 12-04-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about gated drums? Those haven't stayed in style past the 80's. Not every electronic trend will stick around, and I hope Auto-Tune is one that people consider to be dated and not a lasting thing.

People are going to use it like Eddie van halen made new
guitar sounds, artists will do cool stuff with their voice. There was even an iPhone game from the maker of auto-tune where you can do same things
Old 12-04-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

The real bottom line is that this was a decade without a universal identity, at least in the world of Rock music. I look at people's list of the "Best Albums of the Decade" and I have to laugh. I haven't even heard of half these artists and I subscribe to three music magazines. Not that the music isn't good, but there no longer seems to be a communal aspect to rock and popular music. Remember how everyone was so shocked about Michael Jackson's death? Part of that was because he was from an era where music was far more universal; everyone either had his album or at least knew it really well. Those days seem to be gone.

When I say "50's Music?" to you, you say "Elvis. Buddy Holly. Chuck Berry"
60s? -- Beatles, Stones, Dylan, The Who
70s? -- Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John
80s? -- Michael Jackson, Police, Prince, Madonna, Early U2, REM
90s? -- Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Beck, Green Day

What about this decade? Coldplay? Radiohead? I don't know. Nothing really springs to mind as being decade-defining music. And I don't think that's just a lack of perspective; it's really a change in the Rock music scene.
Great post. Think was the point I was trying to make when I started the thread. In each of the decades before, starting with the 50's, you could name the artists or music that defined the decade. To be honest, I can't think of one that defines this one. I think people kept waiting for the next big thing to come out but it never did.
Old 12-04-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think there was a year, or rather a 12-month period between 69-70, where there was new music put out by The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, The Who, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Beach Boys, James Brown, Funkadelic, Black Sabbath and more, all at the top of their game.

And that's just 12 months! This entire decade can't even hope to compete with that single year. Having said that, there was a lot of good music out this decade, but very little of it (if any) was very popular. Actually, a lot of those bands I named weren't popular during their hey-day - their status grew over time. I think a current band, like Spoon, is a similar band that will take time for people to come around on.

The problem is that too many people are entrenched in their "classic rock", and the people that love those '60s and '70s bands now, most likely wouldn't have been fans during their prime, and they won't bother discovering the newer bands that they would like, because the day of people with good taste who had the clout to push and promote good bands is long, long over.
Old 12-04-09, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge

I think you could add Jay Z, Usher(had 7 singles that reached number 1 in the hot 100 and an album that sold over 10 million copies).

Last edited by bootsy; 12-04-09 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Actually, a lot of those bands I named weren't popular during their hey-day - their status grew over time. I think a current band, like Spoon, is a similar band that will take time for people to come around on.

The problem is that too many people are entrenched in their "classic rock", and the people that love those '60s and '70s bands now, most likely wouldn't have been fans during their prime, and they won't bother discovering the newer bands that they would like, because the day of people with good taste who had the clout to push and promote good bands is long, long over.
Funny, I started reading your post and Spoon popped in my mind before I saw you mentioned them. That's a band that would appeal to so many people. Young hipsters as well as older people who listened to classic rock. And a band like Wilco, while not exactly ignored or underground, probably would be a lot bigger if people my age quit thinking new music sucked.

I totally agree about the internet making smaller, niche movements. While radio is grasping how to deal with it, it's sort of exciting knowing I can search blogs for "Best of 2009" and hear a slew of bands/songs I would NEVER have known about even by reading music magazines. In fact, I'm doing it now and have a few new favorite songs from 2009.

One other thing that makes me smile about this decade is Flaming Lips. Radio can ignore them, but they clearly aren't being ignored by concert-goers and their record label. They are very much like what was going on in the 70's in attitude. The missing ingredient is album rock radio, but who really even cares about that anymore?
Old 12-05-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I think really hurt radio starting in the late 90's is that radios began to become more niche-oriented and demographic courting. The days of someone like Prince or Janet Jackson scoring a hit on three or four different formats at once is over. Clear Channel's act of 1996 really destroyed popular music and radio in the US and I think it's really hurt artists from reaching wider audiences.
Old 12-05-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this decade will be remembered for the rise of MP3, iPods, and iTunes most.

But I know the antics of the RIAA have laid the groundwork for something terrible (for them) in the future.
Old 12-05-09, 04:25 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by al_bundy
People are going to use it like Eddie van halen made new
guitar sounds, artists will do cool stuff with their voice. There was even an iPhone game from the maker of auto-tune where you can do same things
People might still use it, but hopefully it's not as pervasive as it's been this decade. People still use gated drums sometimes, but it's for a specific effect/feel, not because they're still popular.

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
One other thing that makes me smile about this decade is Flaming Lips. Radio can ignore them, but they clearly aren't being ignored by concert-goers and their record label. They are very much like what was going on in the 70's in attitude. The missing ingredient is album rock radio, but who really even cares about that anymore?
Although I started listening to them in the 90's, The Flaming Lips are probably my favorite band of the decade. Not all of their albums this decade have been great, but I always find what they do fascinating. And the way they interact with their audience is something a lot of other bands could learn from.

I would also say that, although not a new artist, Elvis Costello had fantastic output this decade. His albums have been varied and interesting and assured. In terms of older artists remaining relevant, he's probably at the top of my list.
Old 12-05-09, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although I started listening to them in the 90's, The Flaming Lips are probably my favorite band of the decade. Not all of their albums this decade have been great, but I always find what they do fascinating. And the way they interact with their audience is something a lot of other bands could learn from.
When I first listened to their debut album back in 1986 I would never have guessed how far they'd go and how popular they'd become. It's nice that a band like that can gain fans and keep record label support. And I actually think what they've recorded in the 00's is their best material.
Old 12-05-09, 06:38 AM
Banned by request

Soft Bulletin was '99, right? That would make Yoshimi the only album of theirs this decade that I thought was brilliant. But I still love them and saw them multiple times live in the 00's.
Old 12-05-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Soft Bulletin was '99, right?
Yep. I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I like everything they've done the past 10 years even more (and I really like Soft Bulletin).
Old 12-05-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
How can you say that?
Underground goth music.
The Euro pop scene.
Underground Metal music. And the pop and hair metal bands.
You had all kinds of music to keep everybody happy in the 80's.
Satan just fished out his turtleneck. I'm in complete agreement with wm lopez.
Old 12-05-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Rockmjd23
Began with boybands and ended with awful auto-tuned hip hop.

Leaping Christ, when you put it that way...

Then again, the 70s started with The Beatles breaking up and ended with Disco...
Which is actually a pretty interesting analogy when you think about it. The Beatles were actually a really good boy band, and hip hop has become a pretty shitty music to dance to.
Old 12-05-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The real bottom line is that this was a decade without a universal identity, at least in the world of Rock music. I look at people's list of the "Best Albums of the Decade" and I have to laugh. I haven't even heard of half these artists and I subscribe to three music magazines.
You're old and aren't following music as closely as when you were young. That's what's happening.
Old 12-05-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Then again, the 70s started with The Beatles breaking up and ended with Disco...
As much as I don't like Disco...it did have an impact on electronic music that followed.
Old 12-05-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
You're old and aren't following music as closely as when you were young. That's what's happening.
well, sadly Decker is right. The name of the game with radio has changed so much. In the 80's critical darlings such as U2 and REM finally reached a point where they had to jump on the bandwagon or look obsolete doing it. You will never see radio finally conceding and playing a Wilco or Radiohead track (okay, "Creep" 16 years ago when they thought they were just another one hit wonder from the alt era). You have to look harder to find good music today, as opposed to when U2 and The Cure would actually share airplay space with NKOTB and Debbie Gibson.
Old 12-05-09, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UAIOE
As much as I don't like Disco...it did have an impact on electronic music that followed.
More on the rap music scene.
Many of the 90's rap hits had 70's samples.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.