Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Yardbirds

Old 11-20-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Yardbirds

Any yardbirds fans around? I always see them mentioned but just as a footnote to Clapton, Beck, and Page. They have been one of my favorite bands for a long time but seem to be overshadowed by their famous members and of course Led Zeppelin which has little to do with them anyway besides Page, the yardbirds name they dropped, and a couple of songs like dazed and confused and knowing I'm losing you (which became Tangerine)

Speaking of Knowing I'm Losing You it wasn't really out there until a few years ago. I had a few people tell me I was crazy it even existed.

couple of my yardbirds favorites:

I'm Not Talking, Shapes of Things, Think About It, Mister You're a Better Man Than I, Only the Black Rose, Happenings Ten Years Time Ago, Turn into Earth, He's Always There etc etc
Old 11-21-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Yardbirds

For what it's worth, I love the Yardbirds.

I guess you and I could start a fan club for underappreciated British 60s groups.

Last edited by SkullOrchard; 11-21-09 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-21-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
For what it's worth, I love the Yardbirds.

I guess you and I could start a fan club for underappreciated British 60s groups.
haha yeah I expected at least a few replies on them, yardbirds are mainstream next to a lot of groups I like. They did make it to the rock n roll hall of fame a long time ago.
Old 11-21-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow, i've always considered myself a yardbirds fan, but i didn't know that song existed. they were so much better than most of the inconsistent groups like them at that time.
Old 11-21-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
haha yeah I expected at least a few replies on them, yardbirds are mainstream next to a lot of groups I like. They did make it to the rock n roll hall of fame a long time ago.
With Clapton, Page, and Beck as former members, I expected this to go a little better than the Pretty Things thread. Guess not.
Old 11-21-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
With Clapton, Page, and Beck as former members, I expected this to go a little better than the Pretty Things thread. Guess not.
well you and hollowgen replied, not all that bad

Hollowgen- the song was supposed to be on cumular limit (a cd of outtakes from around the time of Little Games) but I think Jimmy Page must of not liked that so it was removed. A few of the promo copies I think had the song on it. He had that yardbirds Anderson Theater 1968 live album pulled as well back in the 70s.

I got this poster for my birthday a month ago and it got me thinking about them again. Always liked this one

I want to get this one some day

Last edited by statcat; 11-21-09 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in as another fan of The Yardbirds.
Old 11-30-09, 08:26 PM
Cool New Member

I love the Yardbirds as well. They're kind of hard to find though on CD and vinyl though. You'd think they'd be more prominent because of Page, Clapton, and Beck. It's a shame the band seems to be just a footnote in their careers.
Old 11-30-09, 08:50 PM

But seem to be overshadowed by their famous members and of course Led Zeppelin which has little to do with them anyway besides Page

Don't forget, Led Zeppelin actually started out as "The New Yardbirds"

Old 11-30-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm aware of that but they only used it for about a month before dropping it
Old 11-30-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mayoman View Post
I love the Yardbirds as well. They're kind of hard to find though on CD and vinyl though. You'd think they'd be more prominent because of Page, Clapton, and Beck. It's a shame the band seems to be just a footnote in their careers.
yes I just checked and a lot of their cds are out of print now. The Yardbirds Story Boxset, Roger the Engineer, Blueswailing 1963, Little Games Sessions, Cumular Limit, BBC Sessions and "Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page" would be what you would need to have a complete collection. There's also a gig on the cd called "Action" from 1967 from Stockholm.
Old 11-30-09, 11:43 PM

I'm aware of that but they only used it for about a month before dropping it
Correctamundo!

And for those who don't know:
The band was originally formed in 1968 by guitarist Jimmy Page under the name The New Yardbirds in order to fulfill some performance commitments booked before the break up of the original Yardbirds. Robert Plant was the singer. After some concerts, the band's name was changed to Led Zeppelin, after Keith Moon, drummer with The Who, suggested "you'll go over like a lead Zeppelin". The word "lead" is misspelled deliberately to avoid confusion, fearing it might be conceived of as the "lead Zeppelin" (as in "lead singer"), as opposed to a Zeppelin constructed of the metal lead.

And now, back to The Yardbirds...
Old 12-01-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes I just checked and a lot of their cds are out of print now. The Yardbirds Story Boxset, Roger the Engineer, Blueswailing 1963, Little Games Sessions, Cumular Limit, BBC Sessions and "Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page" would be what you would need to have a complete collection. There's also a gig on the cd called "Action" from 1967 from Stockholm.
I own Live Blueswailing, and you can still get it new from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Blueswail...9650461&sr=1-2
Old 12-01-09, 12:57 PM

One thing you would probably really like is a Youtube channel set up by Jim McCarty, the former drummer. It has remastered/cleaned up versions of a number of Yardbirds performances, some documentary footage, as well as some videos from follow on projects from some of the former members, such as Renaissance and Box of Frogs. McCarty keeps it updated and adds new material, he even seems to respond to questions/comments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JimMcCartyandCo

Also on youtube, you might get a kick out of this, it is the "Great Shakes" commercial that both Beck and Page played on, one of the few times they were recorded playing together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47NPJQq8h8