DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/564654-just-because-he-does-country-now-darius-rucker-new-artist.html)

The Infidel 11-12-09 12:18 AM

Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Darius Rucker, famously of Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo career afterwards, has apparently gone country recently, and just won the CMA award for Best New Artist. The brief title of the award alone suggests the person is new in the music business in general, let alone genres, so should he really have been eligible for this award? Not that I'm begrudging him anything, it just seems weird to call someone who's been around a while a new artist.

Discuss.

Rypro 525 11-12-09 01:10 AM

Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

same thing goes at the grammys or the mtv awards, alot of times the "best new artist" or "best new video" has been around for a few years, but only became "mainstream" within awards season.
Avenged Sevenfold won best new video for 'bat country' dispite the fact that they had been around for at least 3 or 4 years before that, and even had a video for a song from a previous album that did air on the revamped version of Headbangers Ball called 'Unholly Confession"

Spiderbite 11-12-09 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 9831121)
Darius Rucker, famously of Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo career afterwards, has apparently gone country recently, and just won the CMA award for Best New Artist. The brief title of the award alone suggests the person is new in the music business in general, let alone genres, so should he really have been eligible for this award? Not that I'm begrudging him anything, it just seems weird to call someone who's been around a while a new artist.

Discuss.

I told my wife the same thing after reading it in the paper this morning. Then I realized that I was discussing country music and nobody gives a shit.

Drexl 11-12-09 12:26 PM

Maybe they had forgotten about Hootie and the Blowfish and didn't know he was in a band before? ;)

Fountains of Wayne were nominated for BNA at the 2004 Grammys, despite having released their first album in 1996. Lauryn Hill won when she released her solo album, although she had been in the Fugees for years.

tommy28 11-12-09 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9831962)
I told my wife the same thing after reading it in the paper this morning. Then I realized that I was discussing country music and nobody gives a shit.

Really Nobody???

Lets see..... it seems you listen to Nirvana and Kiss.

lol......

superdeluxe 11-12-09 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 9831121)

Discuss.

Its like Ichiro getting Rookie of the year..after playing in Japan and a all-star for 7 years.

Hokeyboy 11-12-09 01:22 PM

How many country albums has Hootie (yes I know that's not his name, fuck him) released before the one for which he won the award?

(Rhetorical)

wishbone 11-12-09 01:26 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-1tLzUlK4EI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-1tLzUlK4EI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What kind of music do you usually have here?
Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.

foofighters7 11-12-09 01:49 PM

I think its becoming the norm for washed up singers or musicians working in other kinds of music to float towards country to end their career. I guess it fits since no one really takes country music seriously anymore and you can easily get away with making crap music and passing it off as good, since thats what quite a number of country musicians already do.

There is a reason why they have their own Awards...

RoyalTea 11-12-09 03:07 PM

I could see Darius winning new artist if he used to be a rapper or a classical musician or something completely different. But Hootie & the Blowfish always had kind of a southern sound to me.

And if Learn to Live didn't feature banjo, mandolin, fiddle & steel guitar in the background, it wouldn't even pass for country.

RoyalTea 11-12-09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9832359)
And if Learn to Live didn't feature banjo, mandolin, fiddle & steel guitar in the background, it wouldn't even pass for country.

As I look at this sentence, I realize that this applies to pretty much everybody who was nominated for an award last night.

I would have liked to have seen Jamey Johnson walk away with <strike>some</strike> more hardware. That's a guy that wouldn't have Waylon & Hank spinning in their graves.

Brent L 11-12-09 03:25 PM

Jamey Johnson won for best song for his song In Color, along with Lee Thomas Miller and James Otto. I predicted, maybe even on this board somewhere, that he would win for that song. His CD is my favorite country release of the year. He should have won even more last night.

RoyalTea 11-12-09 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9832431)
Jamey Johnson won for best song for his song In Color, along with Lee Thomas Miller and James Otto. I predicted, maybe even on this board somewhere, that he would win for that song. His CD is my favorite country release of the year. He should have won even more last night.

whoops. I meant "more" hardware, not "some" hardware.

Spiderbite 11-12-09 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28 (Post 9832107)
Really Nobody???

lol......

That's the best you've got? :lol:

Hokeyboy 11-12-09 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28 (Post 9832107)
Really Nobody???

lol......

It seems you don't listen to Nirvana and Kiss. Your opinion is ****y and irrelevant.

See anyone can play this retarded game... :rolleyes:

The Bus 11-12-09 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 9832179)

So because DJs have their own Top 100 DJs list, it makes them not musicians? Racist!

cungar 11-12-09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9832359)
I could see Darius winning new artist if he used to be a rapper or a classical musician or something completely different. But Hootie & the Blowfish always had kind of a southern sound to me.

Especially since the music they now call country is becoming more and more just pop anyway. The song Rucker did last night on the CMAs sounded just like Hootie and the Blowfish.

The Infidel 11-12-09 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 9832179)
I think its becoming the norm for washed up singers or musicians working in other kinds of music to float towards country to end their career. I guess it fits since no one really takes country music seriously anymore and you can easily get away with making crap music and passing it off as good, since thats what quite a number of country musicians already do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...el/oh-snap.gif

RoyalTea 11-12-09 05:03 PM

Has this board ever had a discussion about country music without an asshole or two making sure everybody else knows that they hate country music?

cungar 11-12-09 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9832647)
Has this board ever had a discussion about country music without an asshole or two making sure everybody else knows that they hate country music?

I love country music. There was very little of it on display on the show I saw last night. Most of the crap that won last night sounds like Bon Jovi or Jessica Simpson.

Hokeyboy 11-12-09 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9832647)

FWIW the same thing happens with rap/hip-hop.

I like country music too, but like any other kind of music the artists that are elevated, awarded, popularized, and overplayed usually represent the common demoninator/commercialized junk.

Alison Krauss still makes me funny in the pants, though.

Travis McClain 11-12-09 06:53 PM

Country music has historically conveyed a stronger sense of community among its artists than other genres. Maybe this is because the heart of activity is concentrated in Nashville; maybe it has to do with the role of the Grand Ole Opry (which really has no equivalent in other genres). Perhaps it's because of the self-mythologizing of earlier artists (Johnny Cash has seemingly supplanted Hank Williams at the top of the altar these days).

Darius Rucker is hardly the first artist to be "over-qualified" for a newcomer award in the country world. Gary Allan debuted in 1996, and was still nominated for it after his third album had been released. They're pretty generous about who qualifies for a nomination for a lot of these categories. I mean, hell, the Dixie Chicks and Eagles both rounded out the group of the year category despite having no new album, no radio presence and no real touring activity during the eligibility period. Most fans I know could care less who is nominated for or wins any given award; we watch for the performances, to see some of the shape-showing, cleavage-baring outfits painted on the women and the occasional spattering of uprising from Alan Jackson.

The Cow 11-12-09 07:01 PM

I blame Garth Brooks.

for everything bad

RoyalTea 11-12-09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 9832687)
I love country music. There was very little of it on display on the show I saw last night. Most of the crap that won last night sounds like Bon Jovi or Jessica Simpson.

but can't music change, but still remain in the same taxonomy?

Compare "rock" from the 50s or 60s to "rock" today. Do they sound alike? But it's still "rock."

Rap from the 80s doesn't really sounds like rap today. Should today's "rap" be called something else?

dx23 11-12-09 07:45 PM

I thought rap today was called hip-hop.