Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Old 11-12-09, 01:18 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,417
Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Darius Rucker, famously of Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo career afterwards, has apparently gone country recently, and just won the CMA award for Best New Artist. The brief title of the award alone suggests the person is new in the music business in general, let alone genres, so should he really have been eligible for this award? Not that I'm begrudging him anything, it just seems weird to call someone who's been around a while a new artist.

Discuss.
The Infidel is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:10 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

same thing goes at the grammys or the mtv awards, alot of times the "best new artist" or "best new video" has been around for a few years, but only became "mainstream" within awards season.
Avenged Sevenfold won best new video for 'bat country' dispite the fact that they had been around for at least 3 or 4 years before that, and even had a video for a song from a previous album that did air on the revamped version of Headbangers Ball called 'Unholly Confession"
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 01:14 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Darius Rucker, famously of Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo career afterwards, has apparently gone country recently, and just won the CMA award for Best New Artist. The brief title of the award alone suggests the person is new in the music business in general, let alone genres, so should he really have been eligible for this award? Not that I'm begrudging him anything, it just seems weird to call someone who's been around a while a new artist.

Discuss.
I told my wife the same thing after reading it in the paper this morning. Then I realized that I was discussing country music and nobody gives a shit.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 01:26 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,001
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Maybe they had forgotten about Hootie and the Blowfish and didn't know he was in a band before?

Fountains of Wayne were nominated for BNA at the 2004 Grammys, despite having released their first album in 1996. Lauryn Hill won when she released her solo album, although she had been in the Fugees for years.
Drexl is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:18 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: howell nj
Posts: 4,400
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I told my wife the same thing after reading it in the paper this morning. Then I realized that I was discussing country music and nobody gives a shit.

Really Nobody???

Lets see..... it seems you listen to Nirvana and Kiss.

lol......
tommy28 is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:19 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Darius Rucker, famously of Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo career afterwards, has apparently gone country recently, and just won the CMA award for Best New Artist. The brief title of the award alone suggests the person is new in the music business in general, let alone genres, so should he really have been eligible for this award? Not that I'm begrudging him anything, it just seems weird to call someone who's been around a while a new artist.

Discuss.

Its like Ichiro getting Rookie of the year..after playing in Japan and a all-star for 7 years.
superdeluxe is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:22 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,019
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

How many country albums has Hootie (yes I know that's not his name, fuck him) released before the one for which he won the award?

(Rhetorical)
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,917
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?



What kind of music do you usually have here?
Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.
wishbone is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 02:49 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: IN
Posts: 3,849
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

I think its becoming the norm for washed up singers or musicians working in other kinds of music to float towards country to end their career. I guess it fits since no one really takes country music seriously anymore and you can easily get away with making crap music and passing it off as good, since thats what quite a number of country musicians already do.

There is a reason why they have their own Awards...
foofighters7 is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 04:07 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

I could see Darius winning new artist if he used to be a rapper or a classical musician or something completely different. But Hootie & the Blowfish always had kind of a southern sound to me.

And if Learn to Live didn't feature banjo, mandolin, fiddle & steel guitar in the background, it wouldn't even pass for country.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 04:12 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
And if Learn to Live didn't feature banjo, mandolin, fiddle & steel guitar in the background, it wouldn't even pass for country.
As I look at this sentence, I realize that this applies to pretty much everybody who was nominated for an award last night.

I would have liked to have seen Jamey Johnson walk away with some more hardware. That's a guy that wouldn't have Waylon & Hank spinning in their graves.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 11-12-09 at 04:36 PM.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 04:25 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Jamey Johnson won for best song for his song In Color, along with Lee Thomas Miller and James Otto. I predicted, maybe even on this board somewhere, that he would win for that song. His CD is my favorite country release of the year. He should have won even more last night.
Brent L is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 04:35 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Jamey Johnson won for best song for his song In Color, along with Lee Thomas Miller and James Otto. I predicted, maybe even on this board somewhere, that he would win for that song. His CD is my favorite country release of the year. He should have won even more last night.
whoops. I meant "more" hardware, not "some" hardware.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 05:30 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by tommy28 View Post
Really Nobody???

Lets see..... it seems you listen to Nirvana and Kiss.

lol......
That's the best you've got?
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 05:33 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,019
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by tommy28 View Post
Really Nobody???

Lets see..... it seems you listen to Nirvana and Kiss.

lol......
It seems you don't listen to Nirvana and Kiss. Your opinion is ****y and irrelevant.


See anyone can play this retarded game...
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 05:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,865
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
There is a reason why they have their own Awards...
So because DJs have their own Top 100 DJs list, it makes them not musicians? Racist!
The Bus is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 05:39 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,397
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I could see Darius winning new artist if he used to be a rapper or a classical musician or something completely different. But Hootie & the Blowfish always had kind of a southern sound to me.

And if Learn to Live didn't feature banjo, mandolin, fiddle & steel guitar in the background, it wouldn't even pass for country.
Especially since the music they now call country is becoming more and more just pop anyway. The song Rucker did last night on the CMAs sounded just like Hootie and the Blowfish.
cungar is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 05:50 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,417
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
I think its becoming the norm for washed up singers or musicians working in other kinds of music to float towards country to end their career. I guess it fits since no one really takes country music seriously anymore and you can easily get away with making crap music and passing it off as good, since thats what quite a number of country musicians already do.

There is a reason why they have their own Awards...
The Infidel is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 06:03 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Has this board ever had a discussion about country music without an asshole or two making sure everybody else knows that they hate country music?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 06:20 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,397
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Has this board ever had a discussion about country music without an asshole or two making sure everybody else knows that they hate country music?
I love country music. There was very little of it on display on the show I saw last night. Most of the crap that won last night sounds like Bon Jovi or Jessica Simpson.
cungar is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 07:08 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,019
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Has this board ever had a discussion about country music without an asshole or two making sure everybody else knows that they hate country music?
FWIW the same thing happens with rap/hip-hop.

I like country music too, but like any other kind of music the artists that are elevated, awarded, popularized, and overplayed usually represent the common demoninator/commercialized junk.

Alison Krauss still makes me funny in the pants, though.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 07:53 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,297
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Country music has historically conveyed a stronger sense of community among its artists than other genres. Maybe this is because the heart of activity is concentrated in Nashville; maybe it has to do with the role of the Grand Ole Opry (which really has no equivalent in other genres). Perhaps it's because of the self-mythologizing of earlier artists (Johnny Cash has seemingly supplanted Hank Williams at the top of the altar these days).

Darius Rucker is hardly the first artist to be "over-qualified" for a newcomer award in the country world. Gary Allan debuted in 1996, and was still nominated for it after his third album had been released. They're pretty generous about who qualifies for a nomination for a lot of these categories. I mean, hell, the Dixie Chicks and Eagles both rounded out the group of the year category despite having no new album, no radio presence and no real touring activity during the eligibility period. Most fans I know could care less who is nominated for or wins any given award; we watch for the performances, to see some of the shape-showing, cleavage-baring outfits painted on the women and the occasional spattering of uprising from Alan Jackson.
Travis McClain is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 08:01 PM
  #23  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,862
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

I blame Garth Brooks.

for everything bad
The Cow is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 08:03 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I love country music. There was very little of it on display on the show I saw last night. Most of the crap that won last night sounds like Bon Jovi or Jessica Simpson.
but can't music change, but still remain in the same taxonomy?

Compare "rock" from the 50s or 60s to "rock" today. Do they sound alike? But it's still "rock."

Rap from the 80s doesn't really sounds like rap today. Should today's "rap" be called something else?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-12-09, 08:45 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,975
Re: Just because he does country now, Darius Rucker is a "new artist"?!?

I thought rap today was called hip-hop.
dx23 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.