Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per blabbermouth
AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry told the Las Vegas Sun on Friday (November 6) that singer Steven Tyler quit the band following a recent concert in Abu Dhabi.

"Steven quit as far as I can tell," Perry said. "I don't know any more than you do about it. I got off the plane two nights ago. I saw online that Steven said that he was going to leave the band. I don't know for how long, indefinitely or whatever. Other than that, I don't know."

Part of the problem, Perry said, is that Tyler doesn't return his phone calls.

"He's notorious for that," Perry said. "That's one thing I've learned to live with. I try to overlook it. I like to pick my battles. Frankly, the last few months I've been wanting not to rock the boat. I don't want him canceling any more gigs. We really wanted to do these last four. We just kind of didn't want to call him out or anything and get him anymore pissed off, for whatever reason. So we just let things lie. So we did the gigs and, like I said, I got off the plane and saw this online. That's how I know about it."

Perry said he arrived home in Boston on Wednesday and read on the Internet that Tyler planned to leave the band.

"He has had no contact with me or the other band members," Perry said.

He says he hopes to keep AEROSMITH together, with or without Tyler, but he was so stunned by recent developments he doesn't know what's going to happen.

"Right now I'm adjusting to how we're going to go on," Perry said. "AEROSMITH is such a powerful band, I mean it's like a steam locomotive. You just can't disregard 40 years of four guys who play together as well as they do. We're just trying to — at least I am — trying to figure out what direction the band should take.

"As far as replacing Steve, it's not just about that, it's also four guys that play extremely well together, and I'm not going to see that go to waste. I really don't know what path it's going to take at this point, but we'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer and then we'll be able to move the Aerosmith up a notch, move the vibe up a notch."
Old 11-07-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Sucks for them I guess.
Old 11-07-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Eh, I'm one of the few people who probably thinks they haven't done anything that notable since the mid-70s.

I don't see the rest of the band lasting as Aerosmith without Tyler.
Old 11-07-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Never been too much into them. But their music is good. And 40 years is a very long time. How many people here can say that they had the same job for 40 years? I don't get why he'd up and 'quit' instead of 'retire'.

Ha. Just checked. He's 61. He qualifies for social security in March.
Old 11-07-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like what they tried to do with Journey where they replaced the singer with a younger version who sounded almost exactly like the previous singer.

I doubt that they'll be trying to make any new albums/songs but will just be living off of concerts of their back catalog
Old 11-07-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been interested in any new music from Aerosmith in a while, but they have some great music and were the first band I ever saw in concert, so this is still a shame.
Old 11-08-09, 01:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were any other member of Aerosmith I'd call it a day. This isn't a band in their prime, and Steven Tyler's been their singer since the beginning. Plus, they haven't made any music worth listening to since Get A Grip. Just say "It's been great, thanks!" and move on.
Old 11-08-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I gather, Tyler's not been right of mind for awhile now. But, unless he's getting out of the biz, does anyone see him coming back after listening to some people whose brains aren't quite as chemically-altered as his must be by now?

I mean, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it IS true, but I can see a press release in a few days saying something to the effect of: "Mr. Tyler was burnt out after the long tour and his recent efforts toward sobriety. He wants to set the record straight that he is still a vital cog in the 4 decades-old monster of rock known as Aerosmith." or something grandiose like that.

I mean, there's a lot of money to be made for the 40th anniversary. Why would you leave right before that?
Old 11-08-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Eh, I'm one of the few people who probably thinks they haven't done anything that notable since the mid-70s.
I agree. Two different bands once they sobered up.
Old 11-08-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

I loved Rock In A Hard Place, and I liked Done With Mirrors, but other than Get A Grip all their other material after that is Adult Contemporary Middle of the Road material disguised as Hard Rock.

Aerosmith hasn't come up with a great album in forever.

Having said that I am surprised at how screwed up Steven Tyler appears to be lately. He sure seems like a guy who has fallen off the wagon - and at his age that's not a good thing.

I'd hate to see him become the next John Entwistle.
Old 11-08-09, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

I don't see the rest of the band lasting as Aerosmith without Tyler.
Nope, certainly agree they havent done anything worthwhile since the 3xCD was released.
Old 11-08-09, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Some bands just run their course and need to hang it up. Maybe Steve has just had enough and wants out.

I'd respect them more if they'd just call it a day. I won't if they go on YouTube and try to find their new soundalike Steve Tyler - much like Journey did.

But I agree with a few other folks here, Aerosmith has not put out anything good since I'd say the early 90's - altho I prefer mostly their old 70's stuff anyway.
Old 11-08-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Plus, they haven't made any music worth listening to since Get A Grip.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLRLhV9U0kQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLRLhV9U0kQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-08-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Replacing Steven Tyler would be stupid... without him, it's no longer Aerosmith.

With that said, this is a band that should've called it quits 20 years ago. Not only was their music not very good, it was very annoying. And seeing a bunch of shirtless 60 year olds with long hair and nail-polish jumping around on stage singing about pussy is embarrasing.
Old 11-08-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's funny that he's 61 and we're discussing the ramifications of him "quitting" a rock band.
Old 11-08-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
With that said, this is a band that should've called it quits 20 years ago. Not only was their music not very good, it was very annoying.
Ten years ago. The moment they were offered that song from Armageddon, they should've said, "Better to go out on top than get played on adult-contemporary."
Old 11-08-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
And seeing a bunch of shirtless 60 year olds with long hair and nail-polish jumping around on stage singing about pussy is embarrasing.
B5Erik says
Old 11-08-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
He sure seems like a guy who has fallen off the wagon -
He did fall of the stage not too long ago.
Old 11-08-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's the date on that article? seems i recall reading that months ago, and it isn't a definite. it felt like more of a public venting by perry after tyler's fall.
Old 11-08-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLRLhV9U0kQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLRLhV9U0kQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Thanks for proving his point
Old 11-08-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If I were any other member of Aerosmith I'd call it a day. This isn't a band in their prime, and Steven Tyler's been their singer since the beginning. Plus, they haven't made any music worth listening to since Get A Grip. Just say "It's been great, thanks!" and move on.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Time to call it a day if he leaves for good. Don't try and replace him and keep the name Aerosmith. Just find another singer and go with a different band name. Please!
Old 11-08-09, 12:50 PM

Grandma's gettin' old...

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/m...tle_old_l.html
Old 11-08-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Is that a Sleestack?
Old 11-08-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I would rather they just called it day.
Old 11-08-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sobriety screwed that band up for good decades ago.

They have enough money, and they've ruined the image the band had created in the 70's.

They should quit anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.