Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

EMINEM: Relapse 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
EMINEM: Relapse 2

Eminem Says 'Relapse 2' Recording Complete, 50 Cent Rap Battle Included

During an interview with DJ Tony Touch on his Shade45 radio station this week, Eminem revealed that his "Relapse 2" album, slated for a late 2009 release, is already finished and that fans can expect a rap showdown with protégé 50 Cent, among other details.

"It's pretty much finish as far as recording. All that's left to do is mix," Eminem, born Marshall Mathers, said. "We've kind of done it [rap face-offs] on other records, but not like to the extent on this one," he added about battling 50 on the set.

Eminem also said that, comparatively speaking, this album is much different than the first "Relapse," which sold 608,000 copies in the United States its first week and has moved 1,461,000 units to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan. "The overall basis of the record is going to be more emotionally driven. On the last record I was concentrated more on just spitting," he said, stating that on "Relapse," he "had to get it all out of my system -- I wanted to prove to myself I can do it again.

"A lot of that album is rapid-fire punch lines. With this record, there's some of that, but I went back to making songs with feeling in them," he continued. "I'm at a point where I'm blessed enough to be in a position where I don't need to put out records, but I want to. I think it ["Relapse 2"] is going to be a lot different than people expect as far as contrast from the last record to this one."

To tap into his emotions, Eminem said he's re-teamed with previous collaborators like Mr. Porter, who has two tracks on the album so far; Just Blaze, who will have four or five cuts on the set; as well as long-time mentor Dr. Dre.

Later this month, Eminem joins the likes of Lenny Kravitz, KISS, Jane's Addiction and Widespread Panic, headlining this year's Voodoo Experience festival in New Orleans for his first full live performance in over four years.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 10-09-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: EMINEM: Relapse 2

rolling stone (the issue with Megan Fox on the cover), mentioned it comes out next month
Old 10-09-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
...slated for a late 2009 release, is already finished...
The use of the word "already" makes it seem like we're getting it earlier than normal. We're in the 4th quarter of the year, it's "late 2009" right now
Old 10-09-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The use of the word "already" makes it seem like we're getting it earlier than normal. We're in the 4th quarter of the year, it's "late 2009" right now
Yeah, and it's already getting fucking cold here. Damn if this year isn't flying by.
Old 10-12-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think he should call it something a little more original than Relapse 2 since this won't have the same feel as the first Relapse. Oh well. I would've preferred another Dr. Dre/Em faceoff since Guilty Conscience is one of my favorite Eminem songs, and well 50 hasn't shit out anything decent in nearly 5 years. We'll see.
Old 10-12-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I also would have preferred a different title, but I suppose it's too late to change that now; I figured he would name the one-two album punch Relapse and Rehab.
Old 10-23-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just Blaze Speaks on Relapse 2

Blaze — who has worked in the past with Jay-Z, Kanye West, Usher, Mariah Carey, and many others — talked about working with Eminem during an interview with Distortion to Static that was posted on Monday.

“Now that he’s put it out there, I am working with Eminem on his new album,” Blaze said. “We are working on Relapse 2 pretty heavily. As of yesterday, we’ve done about six or seven records. I go back in with him in a couple of weeks and do three or four more maybe. I’ve been quietly goin’ back forth from New York to Detroit the past two months, just gettin’ a feel for it and gettin’ a feel for working with each other. He hasn’t worked with too many people outside his camp. I haven’t worked with him before. We got a good working relationship now, a good friendship now, so the records is comin’ out good.”

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 10-23-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, it ain't comin out any time soon
Old 10-24-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is Spring again. I think that Just Blaze interview was old but not just posted until the other day. Eminem was mixing it not that long ago.
Old 10-24-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It's amazing how long it takes to make a rap album.
Old 02-11-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alchemist Says Eminem Working With DJ Khalil

Off the heels of his Grammy performance of “Forever” with Eminem, Lil Wayne, Drake and Travis Barker, XXLMag.com had the chance to chop it up with The Alchemist about Em’s highly anticipated new disc, Relapse 2.

While the disc does not have a release date as of press time, ALC says Em is hard at work in the studio with DJ Khalil. The West Coast beatsmith has had a big year, producing standout joints for Drake (“Fear”), Clipse (“Kinda Like a Big Deal”) and Slaughterhouse (“Cuckoo”).

“Khalil—who I think is like the best producer right now to me—he had been sending records to Em for a while that wasn’t like, they weren’t like clicking in,” Alchemist told XXL. “Em knew he was dope but they haven’t found the right one. And I think they found a couple joints now… the joints they have are crazy. I can’t say 100 percent [that he made the album], but I have heard at least two joints Khalil did and they’re fuckin’ stupid.”

Al, who serves as the Detroit lyricist’s tour DJ, revealed that he has yet to score a beat on Em’s project. “I’m starting to be around Em and the camp more,” he said, “especially finishing these albums. Factor in Em’s sober now, it’s like that’s my man, we chop it up a lot more now…it’s like little by little I’m figuring out what I have to do to create a sound that would be Alchemist/Eminem. I didn’t get it yet.”

One person that Em has been working a lot with is Just Blaze. Al gave XXL insight into their chemistry: “He clicked with Em,” he said. “It was really amazing, too. They really vibed and made some music, beyond like Just just sending him beats, it was nothing like that…I think it’s a perfect meshing of the two…If you could imagine what they could bring to the table at this point, it’s pretty close and maybe a little more.”

In fact, in ALC’s opinion, the whole album is a level above the first Relapse. “He’s doing things lyrically on this album that he hasn’t done before,” he shared. “The punchline game is really back.”

Stay tuned to XXLMag.com as more details become revealed on Relapse 2.
Old 03-26-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just Blaze: Eminem’s Relapse 2 Nearly Completed

“It’s been a bit of a wait, but Eminem’s ‘Relapse 2′ is a pinch of salt away from completion.”

Just Blaze told The BoomBox, “I’m out in Detroit and we’re wrapping that [Relapse 2] up now.” Along with Just Blaze, Eminem has confirmed The Alchemist, Denaun Porter (D12), and of course, Dr. Dre as the album’s producers.

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 04-03-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eminem Promises 'Big News,' Sparks 'Relapse 2' Rumors

t doesn't take much to get the Eminem rumor mill churning, and the rapper did just that on Tuesday (Mar. 30) with a mysterious post on his Twitter account. "Some big news is coming. Soon." read the simple message.

Eminem's tweet has re-ignited speculation about "Relapse 2," the follow-up to the Detroit MC's comeback album "Relapse" and one of the most anticipated releases of 2010. Initially slated for release by the end of 2009, "Relapse 2" was postponed after Eminem's studio sessions led to a shift in creative direction.

"I got back in with [Dr.] Dre and then a few more producers, including Just Blaze, and went in a completely different direction which made me start from scratch," Eminem explained at the time. "The new tracks started to sound very different than the tracks I originally intended to be on 'Relapse 2,' but I still want the other stuff to be heard." "Relapse: Refill," a reissue with bonus material, was subsequently released in December. Together with "Relapse," it has sold 1,891,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In an interview with AOL's the BoomBox two weeks ago, Just Blaze indicated that "Relapse 2" was near completion, saying, "I'm out in Detroit and we're wrapping that ['Relapse 2'] up now." Other leaked tidbits about the album came last year courtesy of Em's friend and producer the Alchemist, who told AllHipHop.com that the album sounds like "the most psychotic s---s I've ever heard," and DJ Whoo Kid, a member of Eminem's D-12 crew, who told MTV that "the crazy, lyrical, maniacal Eminem is back. Maniac!"

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-14-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Relapse 2 was either scrapped in favour of an entirely new album or simply renamed, but either way Eminem's next album is going to be "Recovery" and will be released on June 22nd.