Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Steely Dan "Rent Party '09" Tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is coming to the Twin Cities in November and tickets go on sale tomorrow. I'm super pysched, but wonder if anyone here as been to any of the shows so far? They're playing "Aja" in it's entirety at our show. How does it translate? It looks like they've done it already several times this summer.

Should I spring for the best tickets right away or are they just as enjoyable from afar?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-09, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Steely Dan "Rent Party '09" Tour

I saw two of the shows that they did at the Gibson Ampitheatre at Universal Studios. I caught the Royal Scam night (as it is my favorite of those albums) and the internet request night. The Royal Scam show was perfect. They played the album beautifully and Fagen's voice was great, he didn't strain himself at all. After the full album they played a set of individual songs that alone would make a great show unto itself, including at least four songs from Aja. My only nitpick was that they didn't play "King of the World," my favorite Steely Dan track.

The internet request night was less impressive. I figured fans savvy enough to go to a show like that would request songs that the group don't normally do live, but instead, they went for all the big hits, and so the setlist had no surprises.

I sat in the back of the balcony and it was fine, but I don't know what the venue is like where you'll be seeing them. But either way, you should go for it, the band is in fine form.
Old 09-10-09, 02:40 PM
Banned

Ooooh I can't freaking wait! Just got confirmation that one of my best friends is coming to visit for the show as well.

Hoping to hear my favorite "Dirty Work" in the plus section.
Old 09-10-09, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

They did Dirty Work at the internet request show but not the Royal Scam show. But even if you do hear it, it's going to be sung by their backup singers, not Fagen.
Old 09-10-09, 03:32 PM
Banned

That would be just fine with me as Donald didn't sing it on "Can't Buy a Thrill" either.
Old 09-10-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw the 'Aja' show in Boston. They decided that since that album is fairly short, they would also play the entire 'Royal Scam' as a surprise! Both albums in one night, and then a 5-song encore to top it all off, including a cover of "Dirty Water". It was awesome!

I've seen them three times since they've started re-touring, and this show was by far the best.
Old 09-11-09, 11:07 AM
Banned

Super happy to hear that. It'll be my first Steely Dan show. I was about a dozen people back in line when I got to the venue this morning. That's the most I've ever spent on face-value tickets. Geeze! $91 a ticket at the second cheapest level ($55).
Old 09-11-09, 02:10 PM
Banned by request

$91 a ticket? Damn. I think mine were $70 or so after the fees.