Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Two-time One-hit Wonders

Old 08-21-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two-time One-hit Wonders

The idea of the two-time one-hit wonder sounds like an oxymoron: if you've done it twice, you're no longer a one-hit wonder, right?

But this morning, for God only knows what reason, I was thinking about Tom Cochrane. He was a member of the group Red Rider, which became a one-hit wonder when they had a hit (sort of) with "Lunatic Fringe." Then he went solo and became a one-hit wonder with "Life is a Highway."

Are there other examples of two-time one-hit wonders? People who have done it twice -- once in a group and once as a solo artist, or twice in two separate groups?
Old 08-21-09, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Two-time One-hit Wonders

I guess a-ha in the US chart would be one. Take on Me made it to 1 but Sun Always Shines on TV made it to 20 if that counts at all, otherwise they pretty much vanished.
Old 08-21-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meatloaf?
Old 08-21-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
I guess a-ha in the US chart would be one. Take on Me made it to 1 but Sun Always Shines on TV made it to 20 if that counts at all, otherwise they pretty much vanished.
Please read the question. Youre describing a two hit wonder, which there are thousands of.
Old 08-21-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Poppy Family
Which Way You Goin' Billy US #2 1970
Terry Jacks
Seasons In The Sun US #1 1974

Essentially, The Poppy Family was Terry Jacks and his wife.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 08-21-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep. No one understood the question.
Old 08-21-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Yep. No one understood the question.
I did (after deleting Ugly Kid Joe)
Old 08-21-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the Pixies ever reach high on the Charts again besides Here Comes Your Man? (#3)

Then you have Kim with Cannonball with the Breeders at #44.

I guess I wouldn't call the Pixies one hit wonders, but it terms of the charts maybe they are?

Nevermind, I was looking at the charts wrong, HCYM wasn't much higher than the other songs from Doolittle and that was on the Modern Rock charts.
Old 08-21-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gerry Rafferty is close, with "Stuck In The Middle With You" in Stealers Wheel and "Baker Street" and "Right Down The Line" as a solo artist. A one-time one-hit and one-time two-hit wonder?
Old 08-21-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tony Burrows is an OVER-qualifier, but worthy of mentioning:

Burrows sang the lead vocals on several hit songs under different group names.

Edison Lighthouse - "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" 1970
White Plains - "My Baby Loves Lovin'" 1970
The Pipkins novelty song - "Gimme Dat Ding" 1970
The First Class - "Beach Baby" 1974

With these four hits, he may be music's most prolific "one-hit wonder". He also sang lead vocals on The Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand", which reached #13 in the US.
Old 08-21-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paul Carrack has had a hit with Mike and The Mechanics(The Living Years), Ace (How Long) and Squeeze (Tempted).

Last edited by cungar; 08-21-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
But this morning, for God only knows what reason, I was thinking about Tom Cochrane. He was a member of the group Red Rider, which became a one-hit wonder when they had a hit (sort of) with "Lunatic Fringe." Then he went solo and became a one-hit wonder with "Life is a Highway."
I'm not sure if you're going by Canadian charts or US ones, but if you're going to consider Lunatic Fringe a hit - then you would also have to consider "The Boy Inside The Man" and "Big League" as hits as well - which would kill your "Two-Time One-Hit Wonders" theory.
Old 08-21-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm not sure if you're going by Canadian charts or US ones, but if you're going to consider Lunatic Fringe a hit - then you would also have to consider "The Boy Inside The Man" and "Big League" as hits as well - which would kill your "Two-Time One-Hit Wonders" theory.
I was going to come defend Tom as well.
Old 08-21-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Canadian charts.

Lunatic Fringe didn't chart when it was first released, but it has become a staple of classic rock stations since then. So I guess you're right that it's not a hit in the traditional sense -- but I don't think any (non-Canadian) would be able to dispute you too much if you refered to Red Rider as a one-hit wonder.
Old 08-21-09, 01:29 PM

Totally lame example, but here's one that works:

Kajagoogoo- Too Shy

and

Limahl- Neverending Story

and another:

Georgia Satellites- Keep Your Hands to Yourself

Dan Baird- I Love You Period
Old 08-21-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canadian charts.
OK, I get it now... success in countries outside of the US doesn't matter. Gottcha.

Anyways, one comes to mind... Freddy Curci and Steve DeMarchi from the band Sheriff who had their one hit "When I'm With You" who later formed the band Alias with their only hit "More Than Words Can Say".
Old 08-21-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alias with their only hit "More Than Words Can Say".
I still have the sheet music for that. Such an awesome shot of the band on it.
Old 08-21-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, I get it now... success in countries outside of the US doesn't matter. Gottcha.
I was born and raised in the U.S., which means I have an inhuman sense of entitlement and self-importance.

(Kidding aside, I never knew before this thread that Red Rider had significant popularity in Canada).
Old 08-21-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about "White Hot". All over the radio when first released. How I first found out about them.
Old 08-21-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(Kidding aside, I never knew before this thread that Red Rider had significant popularity in Canada).
Well they weren't huge in Canada, but they were somewhat popular on rock stations and had a handful of hit songs. Their songs charted more often than Rush, but Rush is a much popular band.

That brings up a point. Is a band a one-hit wonder (or no-hit wonder) based on their enterance in the song charts? There are plenty of artists who's songs aren't radio friendly and don't make the charts (or have only one hit song) but they do quite a bit of album sales and are definitely not a flash in the pan.
Old 08-22-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good question. I'm racking my brain... I'll have to think about this one for a while.
Old 08-22-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Paul Carrack has had a hit with Mike and The Mechanics(The Living Years), Ace (How Long) and Squeeze (Tempted).
As well as hitting the US top ten with his solo single "Don't Shed A Tear". A four-time one-hit wonder?
Old 08-22-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Silent Running" was also a hit for Mike + The Mechanics, peaking at #6. "All I Need is a Miracle" was also a hit, but it didn't feature Carrack on lead vocals.

Last edited by Drexl; 08-22-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Did the Pixies ever reach high on the Charts again besides Here Comes Your Man? (#3)

Then you have Kim with Cannonball with the Breeders at #44.

I guess I wouldn't call the Pixies one hit wonders, but it terms of the charts maybe they are?

Nevermind, I was looking at the charts wrong, HCYM wasn't much higher than the other songs from Doolittle and that was on the Modern Rock charts.
I know that Monkey Gone to Heaven was another big one for the Pixies.

And I'm pretty sure that Divine Hammer did decently for The Breeders. But I think that's about it for them. It's a shame, The Breeders are an amazing band who are still making great music and putting on kick-ass rock shows.
Old 08-23-09, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
As well as hitting the US top ten with his solo single "Don't Shed A Tear". A four-time one-hit wonder?
He also did that other song with Mike & The Mechanics, "Taken In" - which got a lot of radio play back in the early '90s.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.