Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

School me on turntables

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

School me on turntables

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: School me on turntables

Haha. Don't worry, I'm not going to DJ with it.
Old 06-17-09, 07:51 PM
Banned by request

While I was waiting for my turntable to arrive, my roommate announced that he had a brand new turntable. D'oh! So, until mine gets here, we've plugged his in. I'm playing Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy and the warmth and depth of the sound is unbelievable. Now I want some cabinet speakers. Sigh.
Old 10-18-09, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good stand? I don't want to keep it on a TV dinner table anymore.
Old 10-19-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to be a serious record nerd, I'd go with a Target (or something similar) wall mount. Eliminates floor vibrations (though slamming a door can cause the needle to skip as I have learned).

Last edited by whaaat; 10-19-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

A wall mount for record players? Or is this a wall mount for something else that people are using for record players?
Old 10-19-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never seen a wall mount for a turntable.
Old 10-19-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work pretty good. I couldn't fit it with my set-up or else I'd use one: http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74486
Old 10-19-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
never seen a wall mount for a turntable.
Mounting a turntable on a wall shelf that is secured to the studs is one of the best ways to isolate the turntable from unwanted vibrations (assuming the wall itself isn't affected by significant structural vibration). For the audiophile on a budget, you can just go to your local hardware store, get a shelf and brackets big enough to support your turntable and you're good to go. If money is no object, there are audiophile-grade turntable wall mounts that claim to be specifically designed to isolate the table from vibrations.
Old 10-19-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
Mounting a turntable on a wall shelf that is secured to the studs is one of the best ways to isolate the turntable from unwanted vibrations (assuming the wall itself isn't affected by significant structural vibration). For the audiophile on a budget, you can just go to your local hardware store, get a shelf and brackets big enough to support your turntable and you're good to go. If money is no object, there are audiophile-grade turntable wall mounts that claim to be specifically designed to isolate the table from vibrations.
that makes sense. unfortunately, my cat keeps jumping onto my av stand to swat at moving images on my tv. She's never done this until recently. I have my computer hooked up to my tv, so the mouse movement really gets her attention. I have this unit:

http://www.studiotech.com/products/c...f-3/index.html

and the turntable on top with the tv wall-mounted. The stand has optional shelves that can offer more space, but I don't know if there'd be enough clearance with the dust cover open. At least it would not allow the cat to stand on it.....
Old 10-19-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that makes sense. unfortunately, my cat keeps jumping onto my av stand to swat at moving images on my tv. She's never done this until recently. I have my computer hooked up to my tv, so the mouse movement really gets her attention. I have this unit:

http://www.studiotech.com/products/c...f-3/index.html

and the turntable on top with the tv wall-mounted. The stand has optional shelves that can offer more space, but I don't know if there'd be enough clearance with the dust cover open. At least it would not allow the cat to stand on it.....
Yeah, a shelf is definitely not practical for all setups, but it is nice and effective if you can make it work.

I love that StudioTech stuff. I've been eyeing the Ultra series cabinets for my future home theater configuration.
Old 10-19-09, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

Thanks for the suggestions, but I only have one spot (between my TV stand and my DVD spinner) to put a record stand, and it's an apartment, so I'm loathe to drill into the studs. I can't wall mount the TV since it's a DLP so putting it on top of my TV stand isn't an option. I was hoping to find a separate stand that doesn't have to be wall mounted.
Old 10-20-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, a shelf is definitely not practical for all setups, but it is nice and effective if you can make it work.

I love that StudioTech stuff. I've been eyeing the Ultra series cabinets for my future home theater configuration.
The one I got was on clearance, for some reason, so it was only $99

I wouldn't pay $300 for it but for $99, it was too good to pass up. Of course, Fedex mishandled the box and there were scratches on two of the shelves, but Studiotech sent me two replacement for free. I get to keep the other two....which I could use if I needed an extra shelf. I'd just need to paint the corner and get the expansion tubes. I don't know if I have enough room under my plasma to fit another shelf though.

The studiotech people were very helpful and I'd buy from them again.
Old 10-20-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Thanks for the suggestions, but I only have one spot (between my TV stand and my DVD spinner) to put a record stand, and it's an apartment, so I'm loathe to drill into the studs. I can't wall mount the TV since it's a DLP so putting it on top of my TV stand isn't an option. I was hoping to find a separate stand that doesn't have to be wall mounted.
What's your budget?

If you're looking to go cheap, Target (the store, not the previously mentioned wall mount brand) has these modular cubes that are just the right size for holding records. You can do two side-by-side and/or on top of each other (depending on how much height and width you need) and then put your turntable on top. If you store a bunch of records inside, it'll be heavily weighted and resistant to vibration.
Old 10-20-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The one I got was on clearance, for some reason, so it was only $99

I wouldn't pay $300 for it but for $99, it was too good to pass up. Of course, Fedex mishandled the box and there were scratches on two of the shelves, but Studiotech sent me two replacement for free. I get to keep the other two....which I could use if I needed an extra shelf. I'd just need to paint the corner and get the expansion tubes. I don't know if I have enough room under my plasma to fit another shelf though.

The studiotech people were very helpful and I'd buy from them again.
Sounds like you got a sweet deal. My only complaint with StudioTech is how pricey the stuff is. But it looks like it's worth it (and I'm willing to pay more to companies that have good customer service).
Old 10-20-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got one from this place:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

works very well with my Music Hall 2.2
Old 10-20-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nantaprong
I am also going to get a preamp, I guess 180$ will be worth it if the sound is really nice.
If you're planning to drop around $180 on a phono pre, I'd recommend this over the Bellari.
Old 10-20-09, 05:20 PM
Banned by request

What's your budget?

If you're looking to go cheap, Target (the store, not the previously mentioned wall mount brand) has these modular cubes that are just the right size for holding records. You can do two side-by-side and/or on top of each other (depending on how much height and width you need) and then put your turntable on top. If you store a bunch of records inside, it'll be heavily weighted and resistant to vibration.
You know what? That's perfect for what I need. Thanks!