Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm surprised kids from 1970 embraced "Lola" by The Kinks without reservation...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I'm surprised kids from 1970 embraced "Lola" by The Kinks without reservation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 08:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: I'm surprised kids from 1970 embraced "Lola" by The Kinks without reservation...

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Joe Dallesandro
"Little Joe never once gave it away..."
Candy Darling
"Candy came from out on the island..."
Holly Woodlawn
"Holly came from Miami, F-L-A..."

Also, "Sugar Plum Fairy" is Joe Campbell and "Jackie" is Jackie Curtis.
Old 05-11-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I'm surprised kids from 1970 embraced "Lola" by The Kinks without reservation...

This thread is making me feel... funny.
Old 05-11-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Pajama Slave Dancers's "Homo Truck Drivin' Man"...
Old 05-16-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
La-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola
Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola [/I]

ok, someone posted later that the finale of the song is ambiguous according to Davies. However, is the above the correct lyrics to the end of the song? Since I've always heard it as "...But I know what I am, in bed i'm a man...and so is lola". Yet no website i've looked up currently has anything close to those lyrics.

I just looked up the song, and rewound that portion a couple times to listen closely and make sure i'm not mishearing the lyrics. But it certainly still sounds like how i've always heard the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTda2c5Vtq4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTda2c5Vtq4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTda2c5Vtq4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-16-09, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's also why you hear the Police's "Every Breath You Take" at so many wedding receptions.
No! Really?

People frequently play a song about a stalker at wedding receptions?
Old 05-16-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
No! Really?

People frequently play a song about a stalker at wedding receptions?
Stalkers are romantic. Haven't you ever watched a romantic comedy?
Old 05-16-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
ok, someone posted later that the finale of the song is ambiguous according to Davies. However, is the above the correct lyrics to the end of the song? Since I've always heard it as "...But I know what I am, in bed i'm a man...and so is lola". Yet no website i've looked up currently has anything close to those lyrics.
I've always heard it the way you have, except in my I head I punctuate it like this:

"I know what I am in the bed: I'm a man. And so is Lola."
Old 05-16-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by uberjoe
I've always heard it the way you have, except in my I head I punctuate it like this:

"I know what I am in the bed: I'm a man. And so is Lola."
Good to know. I was so confused when I saw the wrong lyrics posted. Since I never heard the 'i'm glad i'm a man' lyric for the finale. I don't think it's that hard to decipher what is said at the end either, which really makes the 'i'm glad i'm a man' line people are posting so confusing.

I can understand how people thought in Purple Haze, the lyric went "scuse me while i'll kiss this guy" when it's really "kiss the sky". The end of Lola always was pretty clear cut for myself when I first heard the song, and all these years later.