Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw Travis last night

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Saw Travis last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw Travis last night

The only concert I've ever gone to that is right there with Travis is Paul Weller. They put on an amazing show last night, were on stage for a couple of hours, and just plain rocked! They played about half of the new songs from their new album, mixed well with many songs from previous albums. No downtime between songs, just 5 seconds in between each. They packed as much music as was humanly possible, with exception to an occasional little story about every 6th to 7th song.

Half way through the gig, after starting a slow song, Fran Healy got down amongst the front of the crowd, and then proceeded to walk around the fans, shaking hands, all while singing a brilliant song. I pushed in with my wife to get close, and once she shook his hand (and held it for longer than made me comfortable ) he slow danced with another girl while singing. How many bands do this sort of thing?

I think one of the things that makes me love this band is watching them (either in concert, footage, or videos) have GENUINE fun doing what they do. They just have a blast, and it's fun to watch that.

When they came out for their encore, they played another 6-7 songs. Just amazing. They're still on tour, so I'd HIGHLY recommend them if you can catch them. A night that will go down as one of my absolute favorite concerts of all time...
Old 04-15-09, 01:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Saw Travis last night

have my tix for the 23rd - can't wait! Now if Andy shook my hand, I'd personally faint.
Old 04-15-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Going this Saturday. Super psyched!
Old 04-16-09, 08:18 AM

I'm seeing them on Saturday too. Can't wait. This will be my fifth time seeing them and they never fail to disappoint.

I'm hoping they will break out some classic, they have some many good songs.

Here's a link to some YouTube videos of a recent show, shot on a HD consumer cam. Don't know how they guy had the balls to continuously point his camera at Fran and the boys. Link to youtube vids.
Old 04-16-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just saw them at House of Blues last week - last time I saw them was 10 years ago when they toured for The Man Who (man, time flies...), and yeah, they're pretty fun live.

Fran did jump in the crowd and danced with a girl, just like you mentioned (he was right next to me, though it was a bit creepy), and during the solo for "All I Wanna Do Is Rock", the guitarist jumped on the bar, walked along it and held out his guitar for people to bang on while he soloed. Their cover of "I Kissed A Girl" was also hilarious.

Old 04-16-09, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Just saw them at House of Blues last week - last time I saw them was 10 years ago when they toured for The Man Who (man, time flies...), and yeah, they're pretty fun live.

Fran did jump in the crowd and danced with a girl, just like you mentioned (he was right next to me, though it was a bit creepy), and during the solo for "All I Wanna Do Is Rock", the guitarist jumped on the bar, walked along it and held out his guitar for people to bang on while he soloed. Their cover of "I Kissed A Girl" was also hilarious.

that sounds very Andy-esque, not Dougie.
Old 04-20-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Saturday was incredible. The band had a guy come up on stage and he proposed to his girlfriend while the band serenaded them with "The Humpty Dumpty Love Song". Also, the first encore was sung without a mic and acoustically cause Fran kept getting shocked my the microphone (he stopped in the middle of "Closer" to explain that).

Top Three Highlights:
01.Show Opened With Fran Singing the Opening of "3 Times And You Lose" only to queue straight into "Chinese Blues"
02.Side was intermixed with "Long Way Down" in the middle only the finish with the 2nd half of Side.
03.Serenade during the proposal.
Old 04-23-09, 11:10 PM

what a fun concert, although Andy was looking a tad plumpy and the long hair on Neil was just odd looking. The song selection was great, and the band was in a great mood, as was the crowd with a lot of sing alongs.
Old 04-23-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw them way back a long time ago open for Oasis and they were amazing! They've had like 300 albums since then. I'd love to see them again.....

Sounds like an amazing show.