Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

It'll be real nice to finally hear Long Long Long from the The Beatles's White Album on 9/9/09. Turn it around: 6/6/06. Manson loved the White Album, mind ya!
Old 04-09-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Not only that, but they would spend weeks on the mono mixes, often laboring over them, and the stereo mixes would be completed shortly after under much less time.

It's clear which versions they cared about most - at least through the White Album - it was the mono mix.
Originally Posted by Eplicon
One thing about the mono mixes is that they weren't just fold-downs of the stereo counterparts. They were specifically mixed with a particular sound design in mind, which is why a lot of the Beatles songs differ quite a bit with the two versions. They often utilized different takes with alternate lead vocals or instrumentation, among other things. There are a bunch of these mono versions posted on Youtube; the difference is almost like night and day.

Jeez...you guys are seriously convincing me to pick them both up. Along with the Rock Band set, this date could be a $500 or more day. Gulp.
Old 04-09-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Jeez...you guys are seriously convincing me to pick them both up. Along with the Rock Band set, this date could be a $500 or more day. Gulp.
I'm seriously considering going to Vegas the weekend before the 9th and seeing LOVE again (for the 3rd time) in anticipation. THIS is how insanely obsessed I am over the events of that date. But I promised the wife a cruise.

Poop.
Old 04-09-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I want both sets too. Damn, they found a way to screw me twice on this deal.
Old 04-09-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I'm seriously considering going to Vegas the weekend before the 9th and seeing LOVE again (for the 3rd time) in anticipation. THIS is how insanely obsessed I am over the events of that date. But I promised the wife a cruise.

Poop.
I'm taking the wife to Vegas for our lucky 13th anniversary in a month and a 1/2 and thought about seeing Love. But Cirque du Soleil just doesn't interest me at all. I saw one of their shows years ago and was bored to tears and felt ripped off. Even with The Beatles music being used, I just can't bring myself to pay $100 to $150 a ticket. And The Beatles are in my personal Top 5 bands.

We do have tickets to see The Jersey Boys though. I am a big fan of Frankie Valli & The 4 Seasons so I am excited about that. I have heard the reviews for it are great.

So is it worth the money drop for Love? I, of course, have the cd and loved what they did with the mixing up of Beatles tracks. But seeing people dance around, hang from shit and double joint themselves in funky ways to Beatles music just doesn't interest me. Is there more to it than that?

I am not an artsy-fartsy kinda guy and my wife especially hates stuff like that. It is tough enough to get her to even see a musical. She's a damn cool wife like that.
Old 04-09-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in for both box sets...this will go nicely next to my deluxe edition of Love. Very cool indeed. And I said earlier and this statement stands, bring on the vinyl!

Are the box sets up for pre-order anywhere yet? If so, link please.
Old 04-09-09, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which albums weren't released in mono, the white album and Abby Roads?
As far as officially released, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let it Be did not have US or UK true mono releases.

Yellow Submarine had authentic mono mixes made, but for whatever reason, they were scrapped and the mono copy of the album simply folded down the stereo instead. Rumours persist that may have been because the instrumentals did not have proper mono mixes and nobody wanted to bother mixing them. Why they couldn't have just folded down the instrumentals and then included the true mono mixes of the songs is a mystery...

Abbey Road and Let it Be has mono LPs in Brazil. While they mostly sound like stereo fold-downs, they do actually highlight some things musically that normally would not sound as good in a simple fold-down. Studio info confirms that the Beatles did not mix mono copies of these albums, so these mixes will just remain lingering somewhere between true mono and your normal stereo fold-downs.

As far as the 10 albums they mention, I'd expect Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and The Beatles (The White Album). Hopefully, they'll finally officially release the true mono mixes of the 4 original songs on Yellow Submarine as extras on the bonus discs that they mention.

Regardless, I'm super excited to purchase both box sets!

P.S. Does anybody else hope that they slightly expand the Past Masters 1 & 2 set to include Free as a Bird and Real Love at the end?
Old 04-09-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it worth the money drop for Love? I, of course, have the cd and loved what they did with the mixing up of Beatles tracks. But seeing people dance around, hang from shit and double joint themselves in funky ways to Beatles music just doesn't interest me. Is there more to it than that?

I am not an artsy-fartsy kinda guy and my wife especially hates stuff like that. It is tough enough to get her to even see a musical. She's a damn cool wife like that.
If you are a Beatles fan you have to see LOVE. The music sounds incredible and the performances accentuate it. They do truly awesome visual stuff aside from the acrobatics. And it's not just Beatles music, they use a lot of samples of them talking as interludes, and create a vague narrative of The Beatles rise to fame.

I imagine it's the closet anyone can get to that feeling of actually seeing The Beatles perform.
Old 04-09-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking the wife to Vegas for our lucky 13th anniversary in a month and a 1/2 and thought about seeing Love. But Cirque du Soleil just doesn't interest me at all. I saw one of their shows years ago and was bored to tears and felt ripped off. Even with The Beatles music being used, I just can't bring myself to pay $100 to $150 a ticket. And The Beatles are in my personal Top 5 bands.
I don't give a crap about Cirque either. Hell, when we were in Vegas last year even naked titties couldn't make me interested enough to give a shit. But LOVE is an entirely different beast. It's hands down the best live show (non-concert) that I've ever seen.
Old 04-09-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
If you are a Beatles fan you have to see LOVE. The music sounds incredible and the performances accentuate it. They do truly awesome visual stuff aside from the acrobatics. And it's not just Beatles music, they use a lot of samples of them talking as interludes, and create a vague narrative of The Beatles rise to fame.

I imagine it's the closet anyone can get to that feeling of actually seeing The Beatles perform.
What he said.

First and foremost, LOVE is not like ANY other Cirque du Soleil at all. Think of it less as acrobats, contortionists, trapeze guys, and think of it more like a ginormously HUGE multimedia celebration of The Beatles and their music featuring live performers. Each seat in the theatre has multiple speakers built into them, giving a real lush, enveloping sensation as the music plays. There are huge digital screens that surround the theater, projecting images that complement the action on stage: psychedelic images, historical footage, silhouettes of the band, and so forth.

I'm not the biggest Cirque fan in the world (seen a few, liked 1 or 2 of em, the rest were kinda *shrug*), but believe me if you are any kind of Beatles fan in Vegas, drop everything and see Love. It's like nothing you're expecting, and even with my heightened sense of expectations I was still blown away by it.

I saw it the first time with my then-girlfriend when the show was in "previews" back in the summer '06. We saw it again 2 years later, the night before we got married. And vowed to see it every time we're in Vegas, no matter what.

It's that good.
Old 04-09-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dammit...this thread just keeps costing me more and more money!

Okay...I guess I will look into seats while we are there. We haven't been to Vegas in around 10 years so it will probably be awhile before we go back. What's another 300 bucks when you are in Vegas, baby?

I checked on the Mirage site and it shows they sell some tickets for 25% off but they only go thru shows in April. I guess I need to wait until the first of May to see if they still have the same sale. Sorry to derail a little bit but any bad seats to stay away from?
Old 04-09-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dammit...this thread just keeps costing me more and more money!

Okay...I guess I will look into seats while we are there. We haven't been to Vegas in around 10 years so it will probably be awhile before we go back. What's another 300 bucks when you are in Vegas, baby?

I checked on the Mirage site and it shows they sell some tickets for 25% off but they only go thru shows in April. I guess I need to wait until the first of May to see if they still have the same sale. Sorry to derail a little bit but any bad seats to stay away from?
There's really not a bad seat in the place. There's so much going on that you're not going to be able to see everything anyway. We sat back row balcony and thought the view was amazing.
Old 04-09-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I first saw the show, I had back of the theater, all the way to the side seats... and they were just fine. For the second time, I splurged on top dollar tix and while they were FANTASTIC, they weren't SO much more fantastic than the cheap seats.

Plus I love the fact that the pre-show music is remastered Beatles music... with the lyrics removed. It really puts you in a great mood. That, plus all the female ushers dressed up like bobbies. NICE!
Old 04-09-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Damn. I consider myself a pretty big fan of The Beatles but I don't know if I'll upgrade all of the albums at least not right away. I have most of their releases aside from With The Beatles, Beatles for Sale, Yellow Submarine (original version), Live at the BBC, Anthology 1, and Anthology 3. Probably will depend on the price I guess but if I don't buy the set I'll likely buy my favorite albums individually and the Rock Band game.
Old 04-10-09, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Not only that, but they would spend weeks on the mono mixes, often laboring over them, and the stereo mixes would be completed shortly after under much less time.

It's clear which versions they cared about most - at least through the White Album - it was the mono mix.
I remember reading an interview with Paul McCartney where he talked about how in the earlier days, the band cared so little about the stereo mixes that one time Paul was at a press conference and wanted to highlight a specific bass part to a journalist, so he took him over to the right speaker...only to realize the bass was only coming out of the left!

In other words, if you don't get the original mono mixes, you're missing out.
Old 04-11-09, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I remember reading an interview with Paul McCartney where he talked about how in the earlier days, the band cared so little about the stereo mixes that one time Paul was at a press conference and wanted to highlight a specific bass part to a journalist, so he took him over to the right speaker...only to realize the bass was only coming out of the left!

In other words, if you don't get the original mono mixes, you're missing out.
Thanx for this excellent example!
Old 04-15-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How will we be getting Hey Jude? It wasn't on any album, really (unless they're releasing the "Hey Jude" compilation album)?
Old 04-15-09, 12:52 PM
Banned by request

Both Past Masters discs are being remastered as well. Those contain all the non-album singles.
Old 04-15-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do remember that being said, but I don't recall that song on there. Guess it was.
Old 04-15-09, 01:04 PM
Banned by request

Hey Jude is on Past Masters, Vol. 2.
Old 04-15-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
The discs came out two per week and there was a ton of fanfare. I made a trip to the record store every tuesday to get these.
That sounds like a great idea.

Looks like Amazon has them all listed. Most around the $13 range. Double-CDs for $21. Not terrible, but not especially *hot* either.
Old 04-15-09, 01:31 PM
Banned by request

Still waiting for Amazon to list the box sets so I can pre-order, although Best Buy or another retailer may have a better release week sale.

Edit: I would love a "Buy Beatles Rock Band special edition and get X amount off the remastered Beatles albums" promotion.
Old 04-15-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Remastering Detail

"guess I'll have to buy the White Album again"
Old 04-16-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

while all of this sounds great, am I the only one slightly disturbed to see all of this information about remastering the albums and NOT seeing the words "George Martin" anywhere on the pages???

-jason
Old 04-16-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
while all of this sounds great, am I the only one slightly disturbed to see all of this information about remastering the albums and NOT seeing the words "George Martin" anywhere on the pages???

-jason
I've heard that his hearing isn't what it used to be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.