Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead Weather: Horehound - June 2009 (New Band with Jack White & Alison Mosshart)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dead Weather: Horehound - June 2009 (New Band with Jack White & Alison Mosshart)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dead Weather: Horehound - July 14t, 2009 (New Band with Jack White & Alison Mosshart)

from pitchfork:

Jack White Plays Drums in New Band With Kills Singer

Two full-fledged recording and touring bands aren't enough for the primal force of musical virtuosity that is Jack White. With the ongoing White Stripes hiatus and the Raconteurs between albums, White teamed up with the Kills femme fatale Alison Mosshart, Raconteurs bassist Jack Lawrence, and Queens of the Stone Age/Raconteurs member Dean Fertita to form the Dead Weather.

Guitar heroes can stop slobbering for a second-- Jack apparently plays drums (and sings) in the new group, which made its live debut at the opening of White's Third Man Records building in Nashville, Tennessee. And, because Jack doesn't fuck around, the Dead Weather's debut LP, Horehound, is already in the can and due for a June release via Third Man.

In a related story, Jack White hasn't slept in six years.

Ever the old-schooler, White gave out hand-painted 7"'s of the new band's first single, "Hang You From the Heavens", to the 150 attendees at the debut performance. The single is backed by a cover of Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?". Both songs are streaming on the Dead Weather's website and also available on iTunes.

Of course, any excuse to see White on stage or recording music is a good thing-- I've seen him save even the worst Raconteurs songs live, and that is a feat. But the Dead Weather could work. Considering Mosshart's involvement, this marks the first time White is teaming up with a sex-charged and charismatic singer who can put up a fight with his engulfing stage persona (sorry, Brendan Benson). And no, that duet with Alicia Keys doesn't count. Let's just pretend that never happened, OK?

------------------

I'm a sucker for White but it's kind of a bummer he's not playing guitar. I'll check this out for sure though.

Last edited by auto; 05-11-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dead Weather: Horehound - June 2009 (New Band with Jack White & Alison Mosshart)

He started out as a drummer so I'm excited to see how this is going to turn out. I've always wanted to check out the Kills.
Old 03-12-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dead Weather: Horehound - June 2009 (New Band with Jack White & Alison Mosshart)

Two tracks streaming here: http://www.thedeadweather.com/

Sounds awesome to my ears.
Old 03-12-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from the AP:

Jack White chases his muse with new band

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – For Jack White, there are two approaches to stardom.

One is to play it safe and do whatever it takes to maintain your celebrity. The other is to follow your heart and pursue new ideas that come to you.

Obviously, White subscribes to the latter.

Already a member of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs, White unveiled his newest rock band, The Dead Weather, on Wednesday.

"The bands are all still happening. Everything is still occurring. This is a new one to add to the mix," said White, who wore his curly black hair askew and puffed on a cigar during a party at his Third Man Records label to announce the project.

During the party, White and the three other members of the group — Alison Mosshart of The Kills, Dean Fertita of Queens of the Stone Age and Jack Lawrence of The Greenhornes — previewed their new album "Horehound" due out in June.

The four of them sat on a couch as the music played, White closing his eyes and swaying his head, Mosshart chain smoking and mouthing the lyrics. Black and white footage taken inside a vinyl record pressing plant flickered on a white tile wall beside them.

Afterward, the musicians performed a handful of new songs for the 150 or so guests that included Sheryl Crow, Martina McBride and White's partner in The White Stripes, Meg White.

The music was bluesy, raw and aggressive, with Mosshart handling lead vocals and White playing drums. They played in a performance space in the same building as White's label offices, set in a gritty neighborhood of warehouses and adult businesses.

Mosshart and White wrote most of the album's 11 tracks, sometimes together, sometimes alone, sometimes with Ferita and Lawrence — both of whom also perform with White in The Raconteurs. The lone cover is a revved-up rendition of Bob Dylan's "New Pony."

"We didn't write that one," White cracked during the preview.

White, 33, is known for his electric guitar work, but he started out a drummer. He said the new project allows him to reconnect with the instrument.

"I produced from the drummer seat, and I really loved it so much because I haven't done it since I was a teenager, 15 years ago," he said. "I wanted to go back to my first love which was the drums. I did it on James Bond with Alicia (Alicia Keys, who collaborated with White for the theme to the James Bond film "Quantum of Solace"), and I wanted to do it with a band. I wanted to produce from the drummer's seat and see what happens."

The project emerged after a Raconteurs show, from a backstage conversation between White, Mosshart and Lawrence

"The idea was to do a 7-inch single and be done," White said. "But we started writing songs and something happened."

The band, whose name White describes as a patchwork of references to other musical groups, plans to tour this year. Mosshart and White insist it won't affect their other endeavors.

"Everything is going on at the exact same time," Mosshart said. "We all collectively decided that 2009 is the year of the daredevil. No days off. We're just going to work every single day no matter what we're doing."
Old 03-12-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

So far it sounds like the best thing he has been a part of.

I just recently passed on all white stripe material (but it was great while it lasted and I was really into them - not sure I would buy another one of their albums though) I really dug the raconteurs but they need more bite.

Hang you from the heavens is an awesome song but "Are friends electric" didn't really do too much for me - still pretty decent though.
Old 05-11-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from pitchfork:

Ever since the Dead Weather, the new band featuring Jack White on drums and the Kills' Allison Mosshart on vocals, revealed their existence to the world in March, we've been excited to see what develops from this intriguing new supergroup.

The latest developments: Horehound, the Dead Weather's awesomely titled debut album, now has a release date and a cover.

In the U.S., Horehound will be out on July 14 on Jack White's own Third Man imprint via Warner Bros. In the UK, it's due a day earlier via Third Man/Columbia. The cover, featuring Mosshart looking about ready to eat your brain, is above.

Thus far, the Dead Weather have only played a couple of tiny shows, at the Third Man headquarters in Nashville and the Bowery Ballroom in New York. But pretty soon, a whole lot more of us will get to experience what the few lucky folks at those shows got to see. The Dead Weather have now revealed dates for a full-scale North American summer tour. The trek kicks off July 13 in D.C. after one-off June shows in Louisville, London, and Paris. Dates below.

The Dead Weather:

06-11 Louisville, KY - City Block
06-24 London, England - The Forum
06-29 Paris, France - La Cigale
07-13 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
07-14 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
07-16 New York, NY - Terminal 5
07-18 Boston, MA - House of Blues
07-19 Ottawa, Ontario - Ottawa Blues Festival
07-21 Montreal, Quebec - Olympia De Montreal
07-22 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
07-24 Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
07-25 Columbus, OH - The LC Pavilion
07-27 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
07-28 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
07-29 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
07-30 Nashville, TN - War Memorial Auditorium
08-17 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
08-18 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
08-20 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
08-21 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
08-22 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
08-23 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
08-25 Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern Theatre
08-27 Pomona, CA - Glasshouse
08-29 San Diego, CA - San Diego Street Scene
08-30 San Francisco, CA - Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival
10-04 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits Festival

-----

Also, updated the first post with album art.
Old 07-18-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So has anyone picked this up yet? I was going to but after smapling the first time....I didn't really like it but then after checking out the perfromances on their you tube channel....I want to pick it up now.
Old 07-18-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it a lot, and I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion here about it.
Old 07-19-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Saw them last night at the House of Blues in Boston. They were really good, playing Jack White's standard version of punk-blues. I heard a pretty wide variety of influences mixed in there - Doors, NIN, Leadbelly, Zeppelin, Patti Smith.

Show clocked in at 60 minutes, including the encore.
Old 07-21-09, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught the first show in NYC last week....the song "I Cut Like A Buffalo" has to be witnessed live to be believed...killer show...album is solid straight through with the exception of the instrumental "3 Birds" - Jack White is the man
Old 07-23-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picking this one up tomorrow
Old 07-25-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gave this one many listens so far....Like it a lot. Before I give more thoughts on it I find it necessary to point out my reviews of other albums JW has been a part of.

The Raconteurs: Really thought he was on to something with this band and remember loving both albums upon release....and now will prob never listen to them again.

The White Stripes: Would prob only go back to Elephant, I still like all the others but they lost their appeal with me. This is prob the one (and only) band that hit me hard out of the gate, lasted a while with me, but now I have little to no urge to listen to any of their albums at all anymore.

So what gives? I don't have much time for pretty much anything these days and I listen to most of my music on the fly. This is deifnitely where I fail to see the lack of longevity in most of the albums I purchase and it bothers me because I am always looking for music that I can play for very long periods of time and never get sick of.

So with all that said will the dead weather deliver? I don't know but I can say for sure that this album has impressed me much more than the raconteurs debut. I like the gritiness of it and how it is actually a change of pace for White. Yes, it's still bluesy but it's also more "dirty" then what your use to hearing from him. He has progressed from the expermental tracks you here on the Raconteurs. The Dead Weather while new, sounds like they have been playing together for a while.

What I like most? There isn't one track on here that makes me cringe - sure, there are still tracks I will skip while actively listening but for those times when I just throw an album on and let it play till the end....this one will make it in that rotation.
Old 03-06-10, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stumbled across this album earlier today, and after listening to it twice straight through, I'm stunned that there hasn't been a post in this thread for over 8 months. I've never been a big Jack White fan, but this is fantastic.
Old 03-08-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I think a lot of people turned this one down because they thought it would be more of the same and while to some extents it is........it still holds its own and I'm STILL listening to this one since its release.

They have a new album coming out this May I believe.