Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Originally Posted by fumanstan
At first listen, it's fairly mediocre to me. Worse then American Idiot, which I enjoyed right away. I too, prefer their earlier stuff from the 90's then the direction they're heading in. I don't believe musical "maturity" has to mean changing to slower stuff that tries to have more meaning about society. It's not terrible, but only a couple tracks stood out to me.
I agree 100% with this. When listening to AI for the first time there were several songs that stood out right away. This new one doesn't have that for me. Also not really cool with Billie's more tongue in cheek lyrics.... i.e. saying f****t and **** on AI and saying the N word on 21st Century. I understand the reasoning behind them but he could have used other words and got his message across.
Old 05-17-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw them on Saturday night live last night. I yawned through the repetitive first song and extra laughed at the "All the young Dudes" blatant rip-off chorus on that second slow song. Mott The Hoople should sue the shit out of these douches..
Old 05-17-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The album is kick ass! MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than American Idiot. I like every song but I do have one bone to pick...anyone else notice that the chorus on "The Static Age" is musically the same as the chorus on "Church on Sunday"? Church on Sunday is still a way better song though.
Old 05-18-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
Saw them on Saturday night live last night. I yawned through the repetitive first song and extra laughed at the "All the young Dudes" blatant rip-off chorus on that second slow song. Mott The Hoople should sue the shit out of these douches..
Shouldn't David Bowie be the one to sue?

Sorry to miss the SNL performance, but I was in Philly watching The Shins. Apparently I didn't miss much. While I still think their best album as a whole is Dookie (surprise, surprise), there's always been plenty of great songs on Insomniac, Nimrod and Warning to keep me interested. American Idiot was very hit or miss for me, and I didn't revisit it nearly as much as those other albums. I've only listened to about half of this one, and I can't say I'm that impressed. But who knows, it might take time.

K
Old 05-18-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Kinda like how The Kinks should have sued for "Warning" nicking the bassline from "Picture Book." Ah well, it's only rock 'n roll..........
Old 05-18-09, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The album is kick ass! MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than American Idiot. I like every song but I do have one bone to pick...anyone else notice that the chorus on "The Static Age" is musically the same as the chorus on "Church on Sunday"? Church on Sunday is still a way better song though.
I knew that riff sounded familiar! I could sing the chorus of Church on Sunday along to The Static Age and you wouldn't know the difference. COS is in my top 3 favorite Green Day songs, and I still didn't make that connection.
Old 05-18-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm a big Green Day fan, although I'm not nearly as into music as I'm into movies, and I thought the album was much more ambitious than "American Idiot" and felt more like a cohesive "rock opera" than that album did, but it was a pretty big letdown for me. I don't want to somehow come off like I'm against people taking risks with the music and taking an established band in a new direction, but there used to be a carefree, kind of comic spirit to Green Day, and now they're just a message band (and not a very good one at that). Even in 2004 when I heard the premiere of "American Idiot" (the single, not the whole album) on the radio, it was a catchy, very "Green Day-esque" song that I got into, and listening to some of "American Idiot" a day ago, I was surprised at how many of the words I knew and how much I liked the music on that album. Coversely, I listened to the entirety of "21st Century Breakdown" more than a couple of times and nothing grabbed me, and I doubt I'll ever have any of the songs memorized (except the repetitive "Know Your Enemy". Their side project, Foxboro Hot Tubs, was more entertaining than this album, and hopefully their next CD is more about having a good time than worrying about the state of things. Do I have the time to listen to you whine? No, not anymore.
Old 05-18-09, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Shouldn't David Bowie be the one to sue?

My bad. I know it was originally recorded by Mott The Hoople. I didn't know David Bowie wrote it though. I thought he covered it.
Old 05-18-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see this thread has degenerated into another "Band doesn't sound like it used to" thread. This could just be another Metallica or REM thread. Bands change folks. If you don't like it, move on. Just quit whining.
Old 05-18-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I see this thread has degenerated into another "Band doesn't sound like it used to" thread. This could just be another Metallica or REM thread. Bands change folks. If you don't like it, move on. Just quit whining.
Wait a hog-swallop minute here! Are you suggesting that with a new release, everything the band has previously done is not invalidated and those songs and albums I've loved in the past remain untouched by this?! LE GASP!

I think the problem with this album is that it's too long. I get the recurring themes and characters, but I think it could easily be 15 minutes shorter and it would seem less repetitive.

I am extremely happy to have 21st Century Breakdown and East Jesus Nowhere
Old 05-18-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

But its not even so much that they've changed. Its that this music on this album just isn't really anything special. I'll admit that American Idiot isn't my favorite of Green Day's albums but at least there were some songs off it that I liked and even ones I didn't like as much were somewhat catchy and memorable to me. This album so far just has nothing that really grabs me and makes me want to listen to it again and again. Overall I'd say this is just a very boring album and as of now is my least favorite thing they've done to date. I'd much rather see Green Day incorporate more of their Foxboro Hot Tubs style into their music instead of trying to send out some kind of political message.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-18-09 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
Listened to it twice now. I like it, but I think it's probably their least consistent album to date. "21 Guns" may go down as the worst song they've ever written.
21 Guns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wake me up when september ends and Are we the waiting
Old 05-18-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just find it so funny that many guys here (I'm assuming most people posting in this thread are guys) find all these "chick songs" so "good"! oh well... to each their own!
Old 05-18-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You have to listen to it at least once to find out if it's different though. And thus, discussing it on an internet forum! Amazing!

Personally, I do like the songs East Jesus Nowhere, Horseshoes and Handgrenades, and the Static Age.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-18-09 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the album overall. I finally got to listen to it today. Not my favorite Green Day album, but I wore American Idiot out so much it's gotten to the point that listening to it hurts my ears. This album is in the same vein, yes, but it was well done. I think overall it was solid, but it was a little long. Usually I'll take as many songs as I can get, but the fact that most of the songs are similar on this one I kept wondering when it was going to end..

Lots of goodies though, and I did enjoy it. Solid effort. I guess we'll have to see if this brings the same obsession to teens that American Idiot did.
Old 05-19-09, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Lots of goodies though, and I did enjoy it. Solid effort. I guess we'll have to see if this brings the same obsession to teens that American Idiot did.
Oh, yes it is...that's what sucks. And it pisses me off when these 15 year olds try to say ohh I've been a fan since I was 3. Who the fuck listens to this music when your 3?! ARGH.
Old 05-19-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fashionvictim86
Oh, yes it is...that's what sucks. And it pisses me off when these 15 year olds try to say ohh I've been a fan since I was 3. Who the fuck listens to this music when your 3?! ARGH.
My youngest son was 4 when Dookie came out, he was literally raised on Green Day.
Old 05-19-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We're going to Vegas next week for my daughter's 5th birthday specifically to see The Beatles' Cirque show, Love. She's been a die-hard fan since she was 2 and a half. She can recognize not only the 100 songs she listens to on her MP3 player, but any of the solo work that she hasn't heard. It's really rather amazing.

Will that continue her whole life? I can't say, but I see no signs of it stopping.

So it's more than possible.

FWIW, my 8 and half year old says Green Day is her favorite band. She wasn't quite 4 when AI came out and I listened to the shit out of that album around her for well over a year.
Old 05-19-09, 08:37 PM

Meh, maybe in the 80s when I grew up things were different. My parents always listened to country. Then Green Day came out when I was 11...that was when I began to change my taste.

And to the person who said most people here are guys, I'm a 26 year old woman thank you very much.
Old 05-19-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
We're going to Vegas next week for my daughter's 5th birthday specifically to see The Beatles' Cirque show, Love. She's been a die-hard fan since she was 2 and a half. She can recognize not only the 100 songs she listens to on her MP3 player, but any of the solo work that she hasn't heard. It's really rather amazing.

Will that continue her whole life? I can't say, but I see no signs of it stopping.

So it's more than possible.

FWIW, my 8 and half year old says Green Day is her favorite band. She wasn't quite 4 when AI came out and I listened to the shit out of that album around her for well over a year.
i assume/hope the explicit version right.

oh and my take, based on a listen, there are a few songs i liked but i kind of thought it was too long and almost came off as American Idiot 2. imo anyways.

Now whats the deal with the Foxboro Hot Tubs? Besides being a little side project? Is it more like their older stuff?
Old 05-19-09, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Now whats the deal with the Foxboro Hot Tubs? Besides being a little side project? Is it more like their older stuff?
It's nothing like their older stuff. It sounds like a garage rock version of the Kinks.
Old 05-19-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to the person who said most people here are guys, I'm a 26 year old woman thank you very much.

Well then you are excused for liking songs like "21 Guns"!
Old 05-20-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well then.....pics?
Old 05-20-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i assume/hope the explicit version right.
Fuckin' A!
Old 05-20-09, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Well then you are excused for liking songs like "21 Guns"!
I love that song, I think it's amazing. Billie said it's a song about surrendering. It reminds me of my friend, and the way she felt after my other friend (she was very close to him) passed away last year.

Personally, the only songs I find myself skipping on the new album is Peacemaker and Viva la Gloria! (Little Girl).

Originally Posted by auto
Well then.....pics?
HA! Believe me, I don't look 26. www.greendayauthority.com/courtney.php

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.