Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown - May 2009

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Crank up some Toby Keith tunes and you will feel better.
Ill add that in between Mindless Self Indulgence and Sepultura and get back to ya.
Old 02-11-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more Green Day, the better.

= J
Old 02-11-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Lucky for me, I don't really pay attention to lyrics, so any retarded, inane, childish, closed-minded bashing of any political figures or people who are for LESS government (not more) is going to make absolutely no difference to me.
Sorry I know this isn't a political group but I can't let a completely moronic statement like this go unanswered. How anyone can come away from the last 8 years with the impression that Bush was "for LESS government" is beyond me. And I hardly think that people who disliked Bush (70% of the country) were against him because he was "for LESS govermnment". It's no wonder someone who is so misinformed doesn't pay attention to lyrics.

Last edited by cungar; 02-11-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-11-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
Sorry I know this isn't a political group but I can't let a completely moronic statement like this go unanswered. How anyone can come away from the last 8 years with the impression that Bush was "for LESS government" is beyond me. And I hardly think that people who disliked Bush (70% of the country) were against him because he was "for LESS govermnment". It's no wonder someone who is so misinformed doesn't pay attention to lyrics.
Who said I was for Bush's spending policies? Don't ASSume... Bush had many good things going for him (ex. protecting our country) and many bad things (ex. his support for illegal immigrants & his spending).

And let's be fair, as low as Bush's ratings were (30%), they were THREE TIMES HIGHER than that of Congress (10%)!

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 02-11-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know where one might be able to listen to their new song? It was coming up on the radio on the drive to work but I made it work before they played it. Anyone hear it yet?
Old 02-21-09, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listening now. Kicks some pretty good ass.
Old 02-21-09, 07:21 AM

Early Green Day was great stuff but I guess they were just acting their age with American Idiot which is not a bad thing. Definite buy for me.
Old 04-08-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They played a 2 1/2 hour club show last night in SF. Played the whole new album. Supposedly it sounds amazing.
Old 04-08-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait. Hoping some Green Day got licensed from WMG for Rock Band prior to them taking their ball and going home and we'll see some DLC tie-in for this album's release.
Old 04-23-09, 08:13 PM

I don't agree with their politics, but I thought American Idiot was brilliant, easily the album of the decade for me.

There's a lot of news on their site, including being on SNL 5/16 to close the season. There's also American Idiot: The Musical debuting in Oakland in September(that was in the NME story). The new video for Know Your Enemy debuts tomorrow.

First review of the new CD(or at least the first one posted at greenday.com),
although it's not much of a review, as they don't talk about specific songs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...tury-breakdown
Old 04-24-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked American Idiot a lot when it first came out but listened to it again recently and it doesn't hold up as well as I remembered. Its got a couple songs on it that I really like such as Jesus of Suburbia, Are We the Waiting, Give Me Novocaine, and Whatsername. I hope that their new album is better though and I'm definitely excited to hear it and am most likely going to see them in Fargo in July.
Old 04-24-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I liked American Idiot a lot when it first came out but listened to it again recently and it doesn't hold up as well as I remembered. Its got a couple songs on it that I really like such as Jesus of Suburbia, Are We the Waiting, Give Me Novocaine, and Whatsername. I hope that their new album is better though and I'm definitely excited to hear it and am most likely going to see them in Fargo in July.
Seriously doubt it's going to be better. That album was a career high and it will be hard to beat. But I feel it holds up extremely well and is one of the best albums of the decade.
Old 04-24-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not trying to threadcap (my own thread), but I find it incredible that people think American Idiot is one of the best albums of the decade. I enjoy it, but wow. So much great music released in the last decade.
Old 04-24-09, 02:52 PM

does anyone know anything about a limited or special edition of the cd coming out in the US? apparently it's coming out in a deluxe book format overseas, but I can't find out anything about a US limited edition...

except that one the best buy website they have 2 listings - 1 is the standard cd release for $9.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1962780

the other is a "best buy exclusive" for $16.99...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1963709

no other details are mentioned...
Old 04-24-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Surprised it hasn't leaked yet... can't wait for this one. Going to see some shows coming in June...
Old 04-24-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ The Best Buy exclusive is a 52 page book according to bestbuy.com/greenday

I'm looking forward to the album even though I think AI is hands down their worst album (its still pretty good). I think Warning is criminally underrated and I wish they would go back to their old sound instead of the "power ballad" band they are now.
Old 04-24-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Not trying to threadcap (my own thread), but I find it incredible that people think American Idiot is one of the best albums of the decade. I enjoy it, but wow. So much great music released in the last decade.
Yeah it's just incredible that you don't agree with an opinion
Old 04-24-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
^ The Best Buy exclusive is a 52 page book according to bestbuy.com/greenday

I'm looking forward to the album even though I think AI is hands down their worst album (its still pretty good). I think Warning is criminally underrated and I wish they would go back to their old sound instead of the "power ballad" band they are now.
I honestly don't think they sound much different now than they did then, especially during Warning, which is arguably their most commercial 'Power Pop' sounding record. AI had maybe 4 songs you could argue were 'power ballads', the rest adhered to the Green Day formula, they just happened to be longer and feature different parts instead of straight ahead verse chorus verse...

I like all their stuff so I'm predisposed anyhow but I find it a stretch to believe that any fan could rank AI as their worst record...sounds like a case of it being cool to hate on something that got so popular.... I respect your right to hate it, I do, I just haven't met any Green Day fans who would go so far as to say worst...I don't think they've put out a bad record yet, but some of their early stuff like 1039/smooth out... or Kerplunk! I find uneven at best...
Old 04-24-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Long time GD fan and agree that American Idiot is my least favorite of their albums, personally. I think AI is the most uneven, I constantly find myself skipping around that album looking for my top 5 or 6 songs when almost any other album is happily shuffled in any order.

It's right there for Warning and Insomniac personally, and I usually lean towards Insomniac. Stuck With Me is probably my favorite GD track and that whole album kicks my ass. I think I agree that AI is more than a little different than their other stuff. A lot of the raw energy is gone, through the normal maturation process, but I do miss a track like Jaded or Having A Blast thrown in there.

But I'm obviously in on release day, and still probably my most anticipated album of the year.

Last edited by BravesMG; 04-24-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-24-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I wish they would do another album that sounded like Insomniac.
Old 04-24-09, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by bearkiss
does anyone know anything about a limited or special edition of the cd coming out in the US? apparently it's coming out in a deluxe book format overseas, but I can't find out anything about a US limited edition...

except that one the best buy website they have 2 listings - 1 is the standard cd release for $9.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1962780

the other is a "best buy exclusive" for $16.99...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1963709

no other details are mentioned...
Go to greenday.com, it's there for 89.99. heh, limited to 3000 copies=$270,000! good for them.

also if you sign up for their mobile mailing list, they are giving away 15 copies through that.

http://www.greendaymusic.com/shop/
Old 04-25-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I honestly don't think they sound much different now than they did then, especially during Warning, which is arguably their most commercial 'Power Pop' sounding record. AI had maybe 4 songs you could argue were 'power ballads', the rest adhered to the Green Day formula, they just happened to be longer and feature different parts instead of straight ahead verse chorus verse...

I like all their stuff so I'm predisposed anyhow but I find it a stretch to believe that any fan could rank AI as their worst record...sounds like a case of it being cool to hate on something that got so popular.... I respect your right to hate it, I do, I just haven't met any Green Day fans who would go so far as to say worst...I don't think they've put out a bad record yet, but some of their early stuff like 1039/smooth out... or Kerplunk! I find uneven at best...
The thing about American Idiot for me is I don't really hate it. Its just the album of theirs that I like the least. I'm not trying to be cool and hate on it I just don't enjoy it as much as the rest of their stuff. I think it has some good songs on it and its something I don't mind popping in every now and then and listening to all the way through, but for me its just not the masterpiece that a lot of people seem to think it is and certainly not the best album this decade in my honest opinion. I'd prefer Kerplunk!, Dookie, Nimrod, or Warning over it any day.
Old 04-25-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't see this posted in the thread and I figure everyone in here's already heard it, but here's the video for "Know Your Enemy."

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:374938" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=vid%3D374938%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A374938%26startUri={startUri}" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

I have to say it's a pretty underwhelming and bland song. Hopefully it's one of the weaker songs from the album.
Old 04-25-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the new song is fucking awful, and I really like GD.
Old 04-25-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meat and potatoes all the way (with a dash of Weezer). I don't think it's awful, but I'm definitely hoping for more large sounds like on AI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.