Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Love or Hate Country Music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Do You Love or Hate Country Music?
LOVE IT!
17.72%
HATE IT!
48.10%
It's OK
30.38%
Don't Care
3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems everyone feels one way or the other about country music. Not much middle ground. I listen and dance to country music at a local bar so it's becoming tolerable. There are some country artists (i.e. LeAnn Rimes and Wynonna, Shania Twain although they may be considered country pop) I really like but never been a huge fan of the genre.

If you have some favs, who are they?
Old 01-08-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Love or Hate Country Music?

I like country music from the late 80's though most of the 90s, but most of the stuff out now just flat out isnt as good.

My favorites:

Garth
George Strait
Clint Black
Alan Jackson
Randy Travis
Old 01-08-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I got into country for a short time in the mid-late 90s. I guess I could be called a fan of country pop. I never got into the old "twangy" stuff though. I don't listen to too much country these days though. It's not as appealing to me as it was 10 years ago. Once in a while, I'll pop in a Lonestar or a Diamond Rio CD, sometimes Garth.
Old 01-08-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love traditional country music but cannot stomach the new country/pop stuff.
Old 01-08-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I voted "LOVE IT" because I like the old school "outlaw country" guys, some "alt country/No Depression" bands, and some current acts (Hayes Carll, Kasey Chambers, Dwight Yoakam, etc.), but "Power Country"? No thanks.
Old 01-08-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a fan of Neotraditional country, Outlaw country and Western Swing.
Old 01-08-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I like country music and the genres that fall under it like Bluegrass. I LOVE Bluegrass both old and new. I also like some of the New Country but I'm a bigger fan of the older 50's and 60's stuff like Patsy Cline and early Dolly Parton. I also like artists like Junior Brown.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-08-09 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like at least some of all types of country. It's what I grew up on, and even though I've expanded my musical taste over the past 8 years or so, I still always seem to come back to country. One of my favorite "recent" songs is "In Color" by Jamey Johnson:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXKBUK94cC0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FXKBUK94cC0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's awesome seeing Kasey Chambers already getting a mention in the thread.
Old 01-08-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
but "Power Country"? No thanks.
Some of the hot acts now seem to be Taylor Swift (who has the #1 album for several weeks straight), Brad Paisley, Sugarland, and Carrie Underwood to name just a few though I don't know if they fall under 'power country.'

I have to credit country music for usually having lyrics that say something compared to what is played on top 40 music stations.
Old 01-08-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate hate hate mainstream, corny, I guess popular country music. The kind that I guess would be represented at the country music awards. Kenny Chesney would be the epitome of what I hate about country music. Shit like Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Clint Black, Dixie Chicks that kind of stuff, whoever the popular girls are I dont' know their names Shania Twain, uhhh all that is utter crap. Rascal Flats holy crap, that is some of the worste shit I've ever heard in my life.

I love stuff that is country music influenced & twists it. I hate the term "alt-country", but I guess that is what it is.

Love Willie Nelson, Mearle Haggard, Loreta Lynn, actually some Lyle Lovett, Levon Helm put out one of the best country CDs ever a couple of years ago.

And Emmylou Harris is one of the great loves of my life. I'd still do her.

So I'm mixed, I actually hate a lot of it, & love some of it.

Last edited by Sessa17; 01-08-09 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 04:45 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

You bet your ass I love country music.
Old 01-08-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meh. I could take it or leave it. I'll watch a Shania Twain video with the sound off. Does that count?
Old 01-08-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I hate hate hate mainstream, corny, I guess popular country music. The kind that I guess would be represented at the country music awards. Kenny Chesney would be the epitome of what I hate about country music. Shit like Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Clint Black, Dixie Chicks that kind of stuff, whoever the popular girls are I dont' know their names Shania Twain, uhhh all that is utter crap. Rascal Flats holy crap, that is some of the worste shit I've ever heard in my life.
Don't hold back, man. Tell us how you really feel.

Old 01-08-09, 05:08 PM

Aside from Johnny Cash most of it makes me physically ill.
Old 01-08-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I like some of the older mainstays like Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, and Tanya Tucker. Hate young country. I like some of the country tinged rock like The Byrds or the Jayhawks a lot.

Michael
Old 01-08-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate it with a passion,Worst music ever created....
Old 01-08-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the pure, classic stuff like the Louvin Brothers, Hank Williams, Buck Owens, Patsy Cline, etc. Modern country is just crossover pop pap.
Old 01-08-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan

You bet your ass I love country music.
Nice.

Damn right.
Old 01-08-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Meh. I could take it or leave it. I'll watch a Shania Twain video with the sound off. Does that count?
Like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vibruIYx9o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vibruIYx9o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-08-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hate it. Especially since the media thinks everyone loves country music and uses every opportunity to showcase country artists every chance they get (that or rap artists). Why the fuck is Faith Hill singing for Sunday Night Football? And why does every Country artist sound exactly the same nowadays? The guys all sound like the same guy and the same goes for the women. Ugh. Country music sucks.
Old 01-08-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I like some of it, although primarily the female singers and some respect for the Man in Black. I can generally tolerate it anytime, although I don't like the real twangy male voices (ironically I like Lucinda Williams though.)
Old 01-08-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like most music, once you venture past whatever's on radio, it's actually pretty good.

I don't actively follow it though.
Old 01-08-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky

You got that right. I hear a lot of this new country, and I think that if it wasn't playing on a country station, I would have virtually no reason for categorizing it as "country".

Although there is one "new" guy I think is awesome:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MgvF2F8aRnE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MgvF2F8aRnE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-08-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Some of the hot acts now seem to be Taylor Swift (who has the #1 album for several weeks straight), Brad Paisley, Sugarland, and Carrie Underwood to name just a few though I don't know if they fall under 'power country.'
Honestly, I don't even know if it's referred to by that term anymore. In the late 90s I interned for a country station and that's what they called it (that and "New Country"). I just went with what I knew.

I guess that term would apply to acts like Big & Rich (ugh!). It's a shame that those types get tons of airplay and someone like Robbie Fulks (who I love) can't get on at all. But he'd probably hate to share airtime with B&R.

One thing I hated about country radio was its disregard for the music's history. Older artists were rarely ever played. At least with rock music, you have classic rock and oldies stations, so the old guard still gets exposure (with limited playlists, of course), whether they have a new album out or not. I'm not sure if country radio's different now as I haven't listened to it in years, but I'd doubt it.

At least now with satellite radio there are options for those artists. I like Sirius' outlaw country station a lot.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I can generally tolerate it anytime, although I don't like the real twangy male voices (ironically I like Lucinda Williams though.)
Ugh. I can usually tolerate any vocalist, but I CANNOT STAND her drunk-at-karaoke warbling. Her duets with Elvis Costello and Flogging Molly have ruined otherwise pretty good songs.
Old 01-08-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted it's OK. Like all genres of music, I like some of it and dislike some of it, both old and new.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.