Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Common - Universal Mind Control

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else pick up this album this week ?? I've only given it a few spins so far, but it's a huge disappointment. His lyrics and delivery and still really nice, but the production is a major let down. Most of the beats have a cross-over pop feel which don't do much for me. I'd have to say this is the least enjoable Common album I have.
Old 12-11-08, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, when I heard he wanted to make a 'club record' I had really low hopes. Too bad, his last few albums were, IMO, some of his best. I wasn't too impressed with the few tracks I heard..any recommendations for some good songs on the album? Or is it all pretty mediocre?
Old 12-11-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not a good album, I also had high hopes after the UMC single. Don't bother buying this one
Old 12-11-08, 07:03 PM

Anyone who's followed Common's career knows that you cannot classify this guy. Give his "Electric Circus" album a spin and you'll see what I mean. This guy has spent his entire career experimenting with different sounds and styles.

Sure, this album sounds a bit different than his last two albums, but that's because his last two albums were heavily Kanye-influenced.

I enjoy this new album quite a bit. I've been a fan of Common for a long time, and I've come to expect a bit of experimentation from him.
Old 12-11-08, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Double Down
Anyone who's followed Common's career knows that you cannot classify this guy. Give his "Electric Circus" album a spin and you'll see what I mean. This guy has spent his entire career experimenting with different sounds and styles.

Sure, this album sounds a bit different than his last two albums, but that's because his last two albums were heavily Kanye-influenced.

I enjoy this new album quite a bit. I've been a fan of Common for a long time, and I've come to expect a bit of experimentation from him.
I hear ya....I've followed Common since the "Can I borrow a dollar" days, and I've enjoyed his experimentation. Although I hate to say it, this feels more like he sold out rather than trying something musically different. Most of the beats are just clones of other top 40 songs. I'll certainly give it more time, but as a long time fan I have to say the album was a letdown.
Old 12-12-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with what DD said, but "Electric Circus" is far better than this one. Not even close and he definitely experimented a lot with that album.