Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Bus may be away on holiday now. (I know I've lost Internet access for days before when visiting certain relatives)
Old 01-02-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that the holidays are (for the most part) over, let's get this mixtape (mixdisc?) project going again.

Does anyone have any new reviews to post?

And does everyone in it have the upload links for all the mixes?

Old 01-02-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A list of the uploaded links would be appreciated since I never received anything when the Bus sent them out originally.
Old 01-02-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
A list of the uploaded links would be appreciated since I never received anything when the Bus sent them out originally.
PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the links that I currently have.

And everyone who joined late and created a mix, PM as well with your e-mail address and the link to your uploaded mix.

Old 01-02-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry. With the holidays and everything I didn't get a chance to work on this. Doing it now.

Cosmic, I sent you emails at least twice, so maybe it got flagged as spam.
Old 01-02-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's the people who's links I do have:

Rypro525
dhmac
orangecrush18
Cosmic Bus
wishbone
GatorDeb
Luther Heggs
whaaat

Yahoo Sirius
auto
DJLinus

If your name is in bold, I don't have your email address, and I will attempt to send it through the forum software. macnorton, I didn't get your actual link.

CB, I will try to email you again.
Old 01-02-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The Bus is back (Isn't that an Elton John song?)

I was actually going to try to revive this today, but dhmac beat me to it.

I haven't touched my mix's download link since I sent it to you a few weeks ago, so it may have expired. If it needs to be reuploaded, let me know (I'd check it myself, but those free storage sites are blocked here at work).

So, will those listed in the second wave get the links to the first wave of mixes?
Old 01-02-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Cosmic, I sent you emails at least twice, so maybe it got flagged as spam.
Not sure where they ended up; I always look at the contents of my spam folder and nothing from you was ever there. No biggie, though. I should be able to get the links from dhmac.
Old 01-02-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
My review for dhmac's Old School Alternative Side C mix
Spoiler:
Growing up most of the music I heard is what my parents listened to which was AM rock, pop, disco, etc. I have fond memories of this music but I was not much of a music listener at the time. This changed when we got cable around '81 and I started watching MTV (when they played music videos). A lot of the songs in this mix take me back to those early days and discovering music that I liked listening to independent of what my parents had on the radio or the record player.

I know I have heard the Pyschodelic Fur's song but not the intro. Other artists I am familiar with but not the cuts included in the mix, i.e. Devo, The B-52's, etc. I really enjoyed the selections at the end of the mix with The Church, Opal, The Godfathers, The Breeders, and My Bloody Valentine.

A great mix and one that I will continue to enjoy in the future. Thanks dhmac!
Old 01-03-09, 04:02 AM

If this is still going on, I'm uploading a mix to zShare now. Is 60+ minutes a normal upload time?

I made a cover and spoilerized it in case anyone doesn't want to see the track list. (though I doubt most of the artists would be recognizable to anyone)
Spoiler:

Last edited by gfoots; 01-03-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-03-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Bus, I have email messages enabled, so you can just click on my user name and select "send email to Luther Heggs."

I threw together a cover for my comp. Spoilerized for size:
Spoiler:
Old 01-04-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
My review for dhmac's Old School Alternative Side C mix
Spoiler:
Growing up most of the music I heard is what my parents listened to which was AM rock, pop, disco, etc. I have fond memories of this music but I was not much of a music listener at the time. This changed when we got cable around '81 and I started watching MTV (when they played music videos). A lot of the songs in this mix take me back to those early days and discovering music that I liked listening to independent of what my parents had on the radio or the record player.

I know I have heard the Psychedelic Fur's song but not the intro. Other artists I am familiar with but not the cuts included in the mix, i.e. Devo, The B-52's, etc. I really enjoyed the selections at the end of the mix with The Church, Opal, The Godfathers, The Breeders, and My Bloody Valentine.

A great mix and one that I will continue to enjoy in the future. Thanks dhmac!
Thanks for the review! I'll spoilerize what I was aiming for with the mix...
Spoiler:
I was trying to capture a sense of College Radio of the '80s and early-'90s, where they would play a lot of great, unfamilar songs for an uninterrupted hour straight and then rattle off the whole playlist at the end and I would try to catch who did which song (I even considered recording something like this for the end of my mix, but decided it would probably be funny once and annoying on every repeat listen). Aside from the uninterrupted part, though, MTV's "120 Minutes" program of the late-'80s/early-'90s when Dave Kendall hosted would be a close approximation of what I was going for.

Old 01-09-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

BTW, although they aren't a part of this project because they are few years old (I created the first two "Sides" back in 2006 before returning to this mix idea for a "Side C" a few months ago), anyone who is participating and would also like "Side A" and "Side B" of my "Old School Alternative" mixes, just PM me and I'll reply with a download link for each.

Old 01-09-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PM sent, thanks dhmac!
Old 01-12-09, 12:44 AM

Rypro
real-time song by song stream of consciousness review.

Spoiler:

1-2. Slipknot. I get why we need two Slipknot songs as one leads into the other. I didn't find much too love about the first part however. The second song I was surprisingly getting into, but I felt like it went on much too long. I think I could get the point in 2-3 minutes rather than 6.

3. Avril Lavigne. Can't say this has changed my opinion about Avril. I really can't abide a rich Canadian posing as a punk.

4. In this Moment. I guess I'm just not much of a metal fan. There is some interesting genre crossing going on here with sort of classic metal vocals played against newer metal song structure.

5. Fergie. I do like some of the production in the middle of the song, but, like Avril, there is a poseur element to Fergie that I can't deal with.

6 Bring Me the Horizon. Short and sweet. Slipknot could take a lesson.

7. Johnny Cash. A standout track from the new Dawn of the Dead. I'm glad you didn't choose Hurt. I think that song is overrated. Like all NIN songs it has a much too simplistic vocal rhyme structure.

8. Jace Everett. Another good one from a soundtrack. This song coupled with the imagery might be the best part of True Blood on HBO.

9. Walls of Jericho. I guess it shows that a great song can always hold its own, though I think I'd still prefer to hear the classic version by The Animals.

10. Kelly Osbourne. It that poseur thing again.

11. Eluveitie. Is it a bagpipe? Whatever it is, that part sounds pretty good over the distorted guitars. In comparison, the vocals are a bit cliche.

12. Winds of Plague.

13. Jane's Addiction I do like this song, but I think I'd rather hear some classic Jane's like Nothing Shocking. I haven't listened to that record in years so maybe it isn't as good as I remember.

14. Elton John.

15. Iron Maiden. I'd recommend you check out The Fucking Champs if you haven't already. All the guitar virtuosity, without the metaly vocals.

16. All Shall Perish.

17. Dog Fashion Disco. Another interesting crossing of genres, though I'm not a giant funk fan. The falsetto in the middle reminds me of Mie Patton on the first Mr. Bungle record.

18. The Ting Tings. I only recently heard of the Ting Tings and I wondered if the name of the band came from the vocals of Life Without Building's brilliant song, "Let's Go Out".

19. Slayer. One time, in a tiny bar, I saw American Draft playing a string of Slayer covers with an audience member singing all the vocals.

Last edited by gfoots; 01-12-09 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-13-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to gfoots
Spoiler:
its a mix between a violin, a flute, bagpipes, and Uilleann Pipes for Eluveitie. Great Pegan Metal band, if you like them, check out Arkona on youtube. As for Kelly Osbourne, it was that or the song 'shut up', and i wanted to try to stick with the mild cover theme. Also with Bring Me The Horizon, thats their only real short song (and yes the one intellegible lyric is 'after everything you put me through, i should have fucking pissed on you' Here's the story on the song
"While on tour in the United Kingdom allegations were made against vocalist Oliver Sykes that he urinated upon and then assaulted a female fan after a gig at Nottingham Rock City when she allegedly refused his sexual advances. Sykes was subsequently charged with urinating on the fan, but not with physical assault" It was Sykes' way of letting out the stress with that song. Not an Elton fan? I actually got that from the 'Chef Aid south park' album
Old 02-08-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My review for orangecrush18's mix:
Spoiler:
Someone told me that when you receive a recipe you add a 'lil something to make it your own. The covers that I like best are by bands that add their own flavor to the original. The covers included in your mix stand out for this reason but do not diverge greatly from the original. As soon as I heard the intro guitar swells in Foo Fighter's cover of "Darling Nikki" I knew what song was being covered -- a classic when I was in junior high school. I think I remember hearing "Send Me an Angel" back in the day but watching the video a few minutes ago on YouTube was a hoot. I miss watching '80s videos like that one.

The other songs with your mix are solid too: Muse; Faint; Nickel Creek; and the hip Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous. This is a good mix from start to finish.

Thanks orangecrush.
Old 02-09-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishbone
My review for orangecrush18's mix:
Spoiler:
Someone told me that when you receive a recipe you add a 'lil something to make it your own. The covers that I like best are by bands that add their own flavor to the original. The covers included in your mix stand out for this reason but do not diverge greatly from the original. As soon as I heard the intro guitar swells in Foo Fighter's cover of "Darling Nikki" I knew what song was being covered -- a classic when I was in junior high school. I think I remember hearing "Send Me an Angel" back in the day but watching the video a few minutes ago on YouTube was a hoot. I miss watching '80s videos like that one.

The other songs with your mix are solid too: Muse; Faint; Nickel Creek; and the hip Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenocerous. This is a good mix from start to finish.

Thanks orangecrush.
I am just glad someone listened to it